The other Walrus – Esoteric 1/72 vacform - restored links

Biplane finally, minus the interplane struts and in a jig. The ingenious matchbox-and-peg-and-tape undercarriage support construction is usually not necessary, however here - with the heavy white metal block of the Lion engine in the front fuselage - the dihedral of the lower wings became threateningly close to the wing folding angle, so some sort of support was inevitable.

P1240231.jpg

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is a splendid build.

It's interesting that the Walrus (a redesigned DH9A) was replaced by the Blackburn Blackburn (so good they named it twice) and the Avro Bison (an aircraft whose handling was described by the test pilot as 'a vicious beast'), both of which were replaced by the Fairey IIIF (which first flew in 1917).

Edited to correct spelling.

Edited by Beard
  • Like 1

This is a splendid build.

You can say that again! This man has got me thinking Roden 1/48 DH9a plus plastic card................ :hmmm:

Martin

Edit: Bugger! Its the DH9 they do. My enthusiasm carried me away.

• Like 2

You can say that again! This man has got me thinking Roden 1/48 DH9a plus plastic card................ :hmmm:

Martin

Edit: Bugger! Its the DH9 they do. My enthusiasm carried me away.

You only need to scratch-build the front end to convert a Dh9 to a DH9A.

What could be easier?

You only need to scratch-build the front end to convert a Dh9 to a DH9A.

What could be easier?

You may have a point there, the nose would need changing anyway.

Martin

• Like 1

I think DH.9 might be as good starting point as DH.9A. The major work is on the fuselage anyway.

The weekend allowed for some nice progress. Few details are still missing and the wings require one more coat.

P2070233.jpg

Edited by Patrik

Almost completed! The next entry goes to RFI.

By the way - the Ninak legacy is quite apparent from this viewing angle.

P2130237.jpg

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 4

to ian - I am not rigging my 1/72 biplanes. It is probably a pity here, as the wings look rather empty even to me, but I decided so quite a long time ago and I am still happy with my modelling

to TonyTiger66 - It's hand brushed Revell 90, three coats here (usually two are enough), as the white plastic was rather unforgiving. I will be giving the kit two coats of semi-matt varnish from a tin spray later - this one comes from Hornbach - hobby market network

Thanks a lot for the encouraging words anyway

Patrik

This one took me almost half an hour to restore. But - Hallelujah! - it was the last one from my restoration plan. So no more bothering you with old threads, thanks for your patience.

Patrik

• Like 2