Photo Etch detail sets for Airifix Blenheim Mk.IVF - 1:72 Eduard

Photo Etch detail sets for Airifix Blenheim Mk.IVF

1:72 Eduard

blenheimiv_01.jpg

The Blenheim was one of the kits I was most looking forward to last year so much so that I built the Mk.I as soon as it arrived at BM Towers. Happily, both the kit and the Eduard etch that I used alongside the kit were excellent. With the release of the Mk.IVF late last year, we are now witnessing the inevitable second tranche of aftermarket items for the kit. In this review, I'll be taking a look at what Eduard have to offer with their three sets of photo etched metal parts and pre-cut paint masks.

Blenheim Mk.IVF Interior

blenheimiv_02.jpg

The kit's interior is pretty good, but Eduard have still managed to cook up a few extras with this pre-painted fret of parts. Included are a new multi-layered instrument panel, rudder pedals, compass and control yoke, as well as parts for the throttle and various other bits and pieces. Pre-painted harnesses for the crew seats are also included. The fret also includes a new skin for the port side of the cockpit interior, as well as parts to detail both port and starboard sidewalls, included map pouches and other details. The mid-upper turret does not escape attention, and there are parts for detailing both the gun and the turret itself. Altogether, this is a relatively simple set but one which will add a bit of wow factor to your finished model.

bin.jpg

Blenheim Mk.IVF Exterior

blenheimiv_03.jpg

This set contains a single fret which holds parts for the externally visible parts of the airframe. The main landing gear seems to be the principal recipient of parts, including structures for the landing gear bays and hydraulic lines and other details for the landing gear legs. The engines also benefit from some fine details, and there is a complete replacement bomb rack for the lower fuselage. The hatch positioned just to the fore of the mid-upper turret is also included, as are a large number of other small panels and access hatches.

bin.jpg

Blenheim Mk.IVF Landing Flaps

blenheimiv_04.jpg

The kit already has separately moulded landing flaps, and although their inclusion is a nice option, they lack the finesse of these brass replacements. In typical Eduard style, the part count has been kept quite low by making use of folds rather than individual parts. The instructions don't show these folds in great detail though, so you'll need to pay close attention. You'll also need some wire or plastic rod in order to finish them off properly. Some cutting and scraping will also be required, so be prepared.

bin.jpg

Blenheim Mk.IVF Pre-Cut Masks

In keeping with their other pre-cut mask sets, this set contains masks for all of the transparent parts, as well as the main landing gear wheels. For a model with extensive and complex glazing like the Blenhiem, they are a great time (and stress) saver.

bin.jpg

Conclusion

Airfix's Blenheim is well detailed and easy enough to build, but with plastic modelling you can always go one step further and this is where aftermarket manufacturers such as Eduard come in. On their three sets, they have released pretty much everything you need to finish Airfix's Blenheim to a high standard. Recommended.

Review sample courtesy of logo.gif