1/8 Ferrari 250 LM 'half-car' model

I'm doing some work on a 1/8 Ferrari 250 LM with a friend as a one-off commission and thought that instead of binning the various trial-run pulls of the body, I'd have a go at making a kind of 3D 'picture' of the car.

It's going to be the 1968 Piper - Atwood Le-Mans car.

There's probably a proper name for these things, but the nearest thing I can think of to compare it to, is the old 'half boat' models you sometimes see in pubs, clubs and antique shops.

I'll mount the 'model' on a flat panel so it can hang on a wall.

Roy.

P1010148_zpsd6fyw29e.jpg

I'm doing some work on a 1/8 Ferrari 250 LM with a friend as a one-off commission and thought that instead of binning the various trial-run pulls of the body, I'd have a go at making a kind of 3D 'picture' of the car.

It's going to be the 1968 Piper - Atwood Le-Mans car.

There's probably a proper name for these things, but the nearest thing I can think of to compare it to, is the old 'half boat' models you sometimes see in pubs, clubs and antique shops.

I'll mount the 'model' on a flat panel so it can hang on a wall.

Roy.

P1010148_zpsd6fyw29e.jpg

'One Off', 'Flat' - yeah right. I can see these 'trial' pulls developing into another masterpiece.

Not sure it will be a masterpiece but thank you for the kind words...

I've cut out the side window panel, air intake on the engine cover and the fuel filler opening.

Rear panel also now glued to the main body part.

I've also printed the decals needed for this one.

The next task is to make up an under floor panel so that the body will sit properly against a backing panel.

Then fill in the arches, sort the windows, make up some dummy parts that will be visible through the engine cover holes, and make some wheels/tyres.

All good fun.

Roy.

P1010001_zpswpxeqlk1.jpg

P1010002_zpszfmwv3ph.jpg

Edited by roymattblack

Many thanks Mr C.

Yes indeed... The backdrop is the Avant instructions.

The grey primer coat went on yesterday, so now it also has a first coat of Ford Modena green - the correct colour for the 1968 car I'm 'representing'...

Roy.

P1010013_zpsdwki5hdd.jpg

P1010014_zpsychdaes8.jpg

Roy,

Do you shoot paint in a spray booth? I assume you always shoot Halfords cans (please correct me if wrong) but you get magnificent out-of can finishes. Meaning before or without polishing regimens. Even out of air brush finishes too!

Edited by Codger
  • Like 1

Hello Mr C.

My 'spray booth' is in fact a large old card box with the top and one side cut out. In the case of the current 'booth', it's the Pocher Aventador box.

It's just inside the garage door so I can get some air in there.

When the box is finally really grotty, I just get another one.

The smaller box is just to stand things on.

Once the paint is on the part concerned, I just shut the garage door for half an hour or so, and then bring the bits indoors to harden off.

I suppose I've just got used to using rattle cans so much now that I can sort of 'feel' when the wet-coat is thick enough without running.

I do still get the occasional blunder though...

I always warm the paint can in a bowl of warm/hot water, and I also heat the parts before painting them using an old hair dryer plugged in beside the 'booth'.

Roy.

P1010015%202_zpsniowowgi.jpg

P1010016%202_zpsapvdmhp9.jpg

Roy,

Do you shoot paint in a spray booth? I assume you always shoot Halfords cans (please correct me if wrong) but you get magnificent out-of can finishes. Meaning before or without polishing regimens. Even out of air brush finishes too!

I totally agree... absolutely gorgeous :)

I too follow a similar Blacksmith regimen with paint. My secret(s) are to cover the item with an inverted clean plastic box which has the bottom propped off the bench 1" - to keep dust off.

The other wacko thing I do on warm sunny days is to put wet parts in my sedan, parked in the driveway. Gets to 105 - 110 degreesF quite easily and really speeds the process. No dust in there either...

I've been working on the wheels today although the body has had another wet coat of Modena green.

One wheel is getting there.

I've placed it in the rear arch in the pictures but actually its the front wheel.

The rear has a deeper dish and the tyre is much wider.

3-eared spinners still to make.

Roy.

P1010023_zpsra9iuzih.jpg

P1010021_zps9vaptkuf.jpg

• Like 2

really interesting build i have not come across something like this before, when i read the half car title i assumed it would be a full car but with a half body panels and a half all the underneath bits and bobs. I do have 2 questions though

1) are you going to be adding any interior detail

2) is the windscreen going to be pained a different colour or are you going to go down the cutting and adding clear plastic

Shaun

Hello Shaun.....

No, there wont be any interior detail and the windscreen and side window will be gloss black - as will the headlight area.

I'm only really building this as a bit of fun, using up some scrap body parts.

When it's finally complete and on a backing plinth, I'll probably just stick it on Ebay or something.

However, it is a fun little project and I'm thinking about doing a 'half D-Type' using a few other bits I've got kicking about.

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack

...No.... I won't be making more, just maybe a D Type.

It's a fun little project, but there's little in the way of a challenge as there's not really much to it.

Making the wheels was probably the most taxing bit, and even they are pretty simple.

Windscreen blacked out, sun strip added and wheels checked for fit etc....

Roy.

P1010028_zpsyywvm5eq.jpg

P1010033_zpshllxboxz.jpg

P1010032_zpse92hu35l.jpg

Getting there now...

The filler cap and wheel spinners have been cast, painted and fitted, and the rear light also made and added.

The number 21 to add, and the names over the rear wheel arch.

After that I'll mount it on a piece of black Perspex.

Roy.

P1010041_zpsofeprsf7.jpg

P1010040_zps50v1hait.jpg

P1010046_zpsiprcl3uj.jpg

P1010048_zpstjzo6utb.jpg

P1010047_zpspslucy2t.jpg

P1010049_zpstxg9ztib.jpg