L-29 SyAAF AMK 1:48

As far as I know, yes they are SyAAF delfins.

There are roundels with no stars inside visible on the fuselages of operational delfins.

Don't get me wrong, please: this is now making me extremely curious...(and I plead guilty for already being an extremely curious person).

As delivered (starting in March 1964), SyAAF L-29s have got roundels (on wings only), in red-white-black, with three green stars on the white field.

I simply never saw any wearing roundels on the fuselage... and then without any stars... that would mean these were applied after 1972...but why...?

BTW, Martin Smisek, my Czech chap co-working on Arab MiGs project, has dug out original Czechoslovak documentation on Syrian L-29s, including c/ns, dates of delivery etc. In the case of the first 20 aircraft, he's got even their serials (and then those matching c/ns) plus something like 'status report' for their first year of service.

This is where the next thing 'surprising' about your work on this model comes to my mind. The first batch was serialled 101-110, and the second 131-140. No clue about the reason.

'But', you're now building 130... Is that based on one of photos you're talking about?

• Like 2

Thank you chaps, I'm glad you like this build.

Tom, no problem at all, I'd be glad to help, I can answer you all I know, but my knowledge is limited, majority of what I know is what I've heard from R.S or seen by his photos. For any further explanations -why some things appear as they do, I really don't know the answer - until/if I get it from him...

I have not seen the photo of 130 but I've been asked to do one and was told by its appearance (red nose, rudder). I was specially instructed to do the roundels on the sides. Many of those details can obviously be seen on other photos. For instance the red nose or the or the anti-glare black upper side of under-wing fuel tanks or the roundels with no stars..

As for the serial numbers. There's a photo of a plane with a a serial 139 carrying roundels on the side. Strangely you mention serials up to 140. A plane carrying serial 185 can be seen on one photo - unpainted(NMF), black antigalre, red nose,...

And by observing that for a longer period I found out there are serials seen above the flags on tails. But can be seen only on old weathered out delfins - now the q is what time frame for that?

At first chance I will ask R.S for further info on this subject. Many many questions.

cheers

Edited by vesthepes

Just a little update, I added the roundels and the trimmed flags and attached the air brakes to the fuselage...

IMG_20150416_140339.jpg

IMG_20150416_140213.jpg

IMG_20150416_140537.jpg

IMG_20150416_140502.jpg

Now here's a little setback. The flag with the golden emblem has much brighter signal red than the others, so there is quite a mismatch with the rudder...I'll probably paint it again, using white as a primer.

IMG_20150416_141152.jpg

That's it so far..

cheers

• Like 2

Here are some photos as this build goes on.

The wingtips are painted red but not in a usual fashion as whole, just partially. Interesting detail which can also be seen on the photos already published:

http://luftwaffeas.blogspot.com/2013/02/air-force-museum-dimashq-syria-updated.html

With that done I added the roundels. This time I sprayed the signal red with the white as a primer, the difference is quite obvious.

IMG_20150421_152302.jpg

IMG_20150421_152535.jpg

IMG_20150421_152212.jpg

I still have to find the appropriate numerals for the serial above the flag and add some other decals before applying the lacquer. After that it's weathering time.

cheers

Edited by vesthepes
  • Like 4

As for the serial numbers. There's a photo of a plane with a a serial 139 carrying roundels on the side. Strangely you mention serials up to 140. A plane carrying serial 185 can be seen on one photo - unpainted(NMF), black antigalre, red nose,...

Serial 185 is 'OK' - for one of latter batches. The SyAAF has got enough L-29s to serial them as high. What I found 'strange was that the first batch was serialled 101-110 and the second 131-140, instead, for example, 111-120.

And yes: a serial on the top of the fin is a 'must' for any SyAAF aircraft, no matter the type, already since 1948.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Back with some fresh photos.

After some new additional info it seems the #135 had wingtips all red also on the tailplanes and tail bullet. That has been applied to the model together with the assembly of the landing gear and flaps and ailerons.Still some small parts are waiting for their turn, some more weathering and so on.

IMG_20150519_155432.jpg

IMG_20150519_155346.jpg

IMG_20150519_155318.jpg

IMG_20150519_155235.jpg

IMG_20150519_155225.jpg

cheers

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...