resin types

Simon Cornes

I am quite happy using bi-resin from Sylmasta but I wondered where to get the grey resin that the commercial manufacturers use? I am of the opinion that the cream resin is quite delicate whereas the grey stuff is pretty hard. Any thoughts would be appreciated,

Thanks

Simon

• 1 month later...

so you thinking of casting your own stuff too mate ?. been planning making some helicopter parts myself..

thomas

Hi Thomas, well yes, I've been casting stuff in resin for a few years now and the stuff Sylmasta sell (and also Alec Tiranti) works very well but the castings are quite soft. The likes of Aeries use a dark grey resin which is much harder, to the point of being brittle. Its a case of horses for courses and I have to say that I absolutely don't like polyurethane resin - as used for car body and r/c model aircraft work. IMHO it is brilliant for that but not at all nice for scale model work, but thats my opinion (prejudice?) so I'm not going to knock anyone who is happy to use the stuff, just not me!

come on, can someone tell me the secret to professional casting? !!

Simon

good to know simon what ones you recomend for a novice ?..

thomas

I'd certainly recommend a resin called easyflo60. It's a 2 part polyurethane resin similar to that in the sylmasta kits. If you want a really hard resin find an epoxy one but they are more expensive.

I have to agree with Cheshiretaurus. I am not familiar with easyflo60 but I'm happy with the Sylmasta/Tiranti products but bear in mind that it costs me around £50 to buy a kilo of mould making rubber and two cans of the casting resin. It very much depends on if you are going to get your money's worth out of such an investment - maybe not? Might be better to go for a smaller setup to start off with, just to see if you can justify it. If you find that you can then go for it but you have to know what you want to cast and why and also to ask yourself if this is the most cost effective way to do what you want to do? I would be interested to know where to get the epoxy resins Cheshiretaurus mentions. Maybe thats what Aeries/Quickboost use?

Simon

I would be interested to know where to get the epoxy resins Cheshiretaurus mentions. Maybe thats what Aeries/Quickboost use?

The only epoxy I have any experience of using is Axson Epolam 2017, Its a bit thicker than the polyurethane casting resins and sets clear but takes several hours to set although it can be speeded up slightly by using the 2013 hardener instead. After 24 hrs it sets very hard. To get a solid colour it could be mixed with a pigment (I have used a drop enamel paint) or maybe a filler powder, slate powder is cheap (£3.50/kg) and will give the grey of some of the commercial resin casts you mention. although ive never used it with filler except aluminium powder to make vacform moulds from it.

I dont know if this is how the commercial companies do it, just my thoughts.

CT