1/48 Javelin FAW.4 72 Sqn RAF Leconfield 1959

Hi all

Here is my latest finished build and the newest aircraft in my military aircraft in Yorkshire collection.

Its a Javelin FAW.4 of 72 Squadron based at RAF Leconfield in 1959

its the Airfix Javelin FAW.9 converted using the very nice Alley Cat conversion set which I picked up at the nationals a couple years ago, and a pair of Master pitot tubes as I was very sure I'd end up snapping the kit ones.

I have to say this kit has been one of the nicest 48th Airfix kits I've ever built, its right up there with the Lightning.

Sorry about the quality of the pics but I struggled to get some decent lighting, and ive added one of my FAW.4 with a friends FAW.9 so you can spot the subtle differences between the two.

Right enough waffling on with the pics.

Javelin%20FAW.4%20XA730%2072%20Sqn%20Lec

IMG_5962.jpg

IMG_5963.jpg

IMG_5961.jpg

IMG_5954.jpg

Hope you've all enjoyed this build from me, I know I did.

ScottC

• Like 10

There's a massive drawback with this forum..in that,you get an idea of what you want to do as your next build,then another beauty pops up and your ideas are out the window..blooming nightmare,lol

Fantastic javelin..really nice,well done

Daz

Nice Javelin - Jet Age has just acquired anFAW4 - our came from RAF Leeming. I can't get closer than about a quarter of a mile from it yet :-(

Sorry about the quality of the pics but I struggled to get some decent lighting, and ive added one of my FAW.4 with a friends FAW.9 so you can spot the subtle differences between the two.

We've also got an FAW9 - so here goes.

Boat-tail rear fuselage, non afterburner jet nozzles.

No cannons in wings.

No vortex generators on outer wings.

No air scoops atop the fuselage.

Raf leconfield is just up the road from me..of course these days it's just a military driving school.

Daz

Nice Javelin - Jet Age has just acquired anFAW4 - our came from RAF Leeming. I can't get closer than about a quarter of a mile from it yet :-(

We've also got an FAW9 - so here goes.

Boat-tail rear fuselage, non afterburner jet nozzles.

No cannons in wings.

No vortex generators on outer wings.

No air scoops atop the fuselage.

Close, but the 4 has 2 rows of vortex generators as opposed to the 3 rows on the 9. I had great fun adding all the etched generators from the conversion :-)

ScottC