Heller 1/75 La Reale De France

Hi all well since I've nearly finished the Spits and the Lanc I thought it was time to start back on the Corvette and this little beauty that I've just taken delivery of, I must say I thought the 1/6 bikes box were huge but even they pale into insignificance when compared to this beast.

fXqNvB2.jpg

bOp9VV7.jpg

That said the box could be half this size

9OfjTiC.jpg

uwxZK5Q.jpg

BiXRMk6.jpg

mmQHqt3.jpg

The moulding detail is beautiful

gGogWBi.jpg

kmk0xEx.jpg

oPlZ8DO.jpg

86cy8et.jpg

puWhrCU.jpg

The instructions however could do with some work, one written page in english everything else is in French.

ixzyIjS.jpg

77IOZFP.jpg

H4KMnpN.jpg

MKzla69.jpg

and why put these on the top where they could get creased like this, if theyed been on the bottom this would not have happened

XNIe46R.jpg

Hopefully I can iron them out.

I have taken a very stupid chance and bought a very (well I think its very expensive) guilding kit just for this. I gulp, am going to try useing real gold leaf wherever the ship has gold. I have never guilded anything in my life so we will see, have I wasted my money, am I going to ruin this kit, stay tunefor the next exciting episode.

• Like 2

That's a brave choice of build, will be following this blog closely. I have a very ancient example of this Heller masterpiece in my stash. Heck, might even get me building this beast :coolio:

Well here is my first attempt at guilding.

4f6xZ5Y.jpg

lLWYip0.jpg

qEvFgEQ.jpg

0iWck1q.jpg

oRo92yR.jpg

not sure wether to do a wash to highlight the detail or not, dont know if it will kill the shine on the gold, and if I did what colour should i use.

• Like 2

Well here is my first attempt at guilding.
4f6xZ5Y.jpg
lLWYip0.jpg
qEvFgEQ.jpg
0iWck1q.jpg
oRo92yR.jpg
not sure wether to do a wash to highlight the detail or not, dont know if it will kill the shine on the gold, and if I did what colour should i use.

I would try a very thin black wash first, see how that looks and slowly build up some depth from there,

• Like 1

Looking so far, Nice blue colour for the hull. If I remember correctly you have a huge number of "Fleur de Lis" to paint in gold on the hull. One thing that bothers me about this model is the extreme beam of the ship due to the oars. Can't help wondering how and where they were stored when the ship was under sail.

:winkgrin:

Just checked Bjorn Landstrom's book "The Ship" that has a couple of pages on La Reale de France. You do have a huge number of Fleur de Lis to paint yet.

Edited by Gremlin56

Hi all here is a bit of an update. I have a big problem with this kit and dont know how much further I can go with it. there is supposed to be 2 sprues number 17 and 2 number 18 but there is only 1 of each, I have emailed Heller and asked for the missing sprues to be sent but have no idea what their customer service is like I'm hopeing they will send them as the kit is useless without them and I will have to bin it otherwise. so will do what I can and hope they will send the parts sooner rather than later.

B4byGNF.jpg

RwQmWym.jpg

NvpXglr.jpg

aFKMCZV.jpg

dPwY5on.jpg

rsl5WE4.jpg

thrfzJj.jpg

ujY4P7E.jpg

3pHo67c.jpg

• Like 1

I am having all sorts of problems getting rid of the loose flakey bits that you just cant seem to brush off, so I've decided to try guilding the whole part then painting over the guilding.

I've started by sizing all the parts for guilding

y61bUqa.jpg

j6AbfUy.jpg

RtSEdKG.jpg

then guilding the whole lot

o4sOBba.jpg

YKOKtl5.jpg

u9isDkt.jpg

Now painting it

MKX7PuE.jpg

Mrw5xEw.jpg

also I decide to put a wash over some of the solid gold parts to highlight some of the detail

qEvFgEQ.jpg

MlbrJjF.jpg

DEaGQQr.jpg

• Like 6

I love what you have been doing with the gilding. PM me if you have problems with Heller, I will be able to help with translation if you need to contact them further, it would be such a shame were this build to stall through lack of parts.

Martin

• Like 1