1/18 Ferrari 246 Dino #4 Phil Hill, Morocco GP 16/9/58

Hi one and all,
this time I won't post one of my never-ending WIPS.So no long,boring postsd and pictures showing otherwise perfectly clean kits encrusted with styrene,resin and PE!
This car is an already built multimedia model by EXOTO consisting in over 2000 die-cast/resin/Rubber/Plastic and PE parts!
It's absurdly detailed and lend itself as the centerpiece of quite a few small scenes!I've decided to try a few weathering trials before putting it under a glass.The GP of Casablanca was run on a very clean track,therefore I'm not sure whether I'll leave the grayish slurry on the body and the chassis or if I'll wipe it clean and re-do the model with a lighter patina made of the exhaust gases,brake dust,oil and dust!On the other hand I LOVE "abused" racing cars and this one could have been driven in practice around Monza,Imola or Mugello tracks on a wet day!
I've started to make the engine more "lived in" and less of a "museum piece" and to experiment with various pigments diluted in Windex and sprayed thru my Olympos 100C Airbrush at very high pressure!The first pictures come from a forum but I unfortunately cannot give any credits..I only know that the owner of the car is called Pat!
Cheers
Manu
S6307911_zps1jyjmrdb.jpg
120408091046510999692887_zpsjdactrm3.jpg
120408091043510999692884_zpsx8q0n9wk.jpg
120408091046510999692886_zpsa4fr8u4u.jpg
P4071167_zpss7fle2au.jpg
P4071166_zpsdbc15o7h.jpg
P4071165_zpslked909t.jpg
P4071164_zpseoryksuo.jpg
P4071162_zpsrrvscxxb.jpg
P4071161_zpsddlxmcfs.jpg

Edited by Canuck63
  • Like 2

Hi Colin,
thank you so much for your kind words!It's neither that difficult nor that "risky"actually...I haven't used paints...I've just sprayed pigments diluted in Windex...once I'll achieve the desired result I'll fix them and THAT will be difficult..many modellers using pigments wonder why the effects they had achieved with long hours of trial and error vanish in a "Pshhhhhhhh"...I use the very same product(s) that artists use,the only difference being that I decant it in a jar and use my airbrush,as for the way I apply it ask a woman which is the best way to use the spray perfumes! :popcorn:
Cheers
Manu

• Like 1

Fair play to you buddy, I'd never do that myself. But, old Grand Prix cars are still be raced today, so it does make sense to have

your's used looking. Look forward to seeing the finished result,

Sean

• Like 1

Thank you Sean!I LOVE classic "Glories" and I love to see them getting dirty with dust,sooth and oil!Now it still looks too much fresh off an old "Carrera Panamericana" and I think I'll have to "tone down" the accumulated dirt and add a little interest to the engine and rolling chassis(there's EVERYTHING inside...from the internal Napalm bo...lateral gas tanks to the working drive shaft ,hand-brake and gear lever!) before tackling the weathering over

again!
Cheers
Manu

Edited by Canuck63
  • Like 1

Indeed Manu the detail inside these models is rather good, and I'm sure you'll achieve the desired " just raced " look.

Or leave all the dirt and grime as it is and go for the barn find look!

Sean

Hi Sean,
the "barn find" look is appealing indeed...problem is that Ferrari used to scrap their 50s and 60s racing cars at the end of each season and only a handful, raced by "clienti Ferrari" ,survived,this one didn't!No Dino 156 survived for example,and the "Sharknose" you can see featured in Chris Rea's movie "La Passione" is an extraordinarily well made replica!

Anyway...here she is,ready for a new experiment with pigments and heavily diluted Gunze acrylics...it takes time but I think it'll be worth my while in the end!
I've worked a bit on the engine,the rear gas tanks and the chassis!
Cheers
Manu
IMG_0063_zpsdnibvbo9.jpg
IMG_0062_zpsdc1wofmm.jpg
IMG_0061_zpsfgpfi8e9.jpg
IMG_0060_zpsjnsueaas.jpg
IMG_0059_zpst5v7zhub.jpg

Have to pop in to say that your weathering is very well-wrought. That engine compartment looks just like my Toyota's after a summer of gravel road weekends.

No idea if F1 racetracks of the day were ever that dusty, but that's besides the point. The car looks moderately whipped, and convincingly so. Well done, that man.

Looking good Manu. I didn't know the Ferrari's were scrapped, always believed they were stripped down and used for the next years designs. Shame really'

imagine how much they would be worth today?, especially Phil Hill's car. Looking forward to seeing more progress,

Sean

Have to pop in to say that your weathering is very well-wrought. That engine compartment looks just like my Toyota's after a summer of gravel road weekends.

No idea if F1 racetracks of the day were ever that dusty, but that's besides the point. The car looks moderately whipped, and convincingly so. Well done, that man.

Hi Gween Weeder,

thank you very much for your kind words!

Cheers

Manu

Looking good Manu. I didn't know the Ferrari's were scrapped, always believed they were stripped down and used for the next years designs. Shame really'

imagine how much they would be worth today?, especially Phil Hill's car. Looking forward to seeing more progress,

Sean

Hi Sean,

unfortunately these cars were mostly scrapped and sent to the Factory's smelter...sad but true and only a few spares survived!A few selected machines,a few '59 246 do survive but no "Tipo 58".No 156s made it to today!Often the ex "Works" machines used on road races like the Targa Florio or Le Mans were sold to the "Clienti" to live another life as race cars.They were relatively "cheap",more oftrn than not way cheaper than the road cars they's have found in showrooms,yet today a '62 250 GTO is worth about £30M while I cannot even imagine how valuable could be Mr Glickenhaus' 330 P4!

Cheers

Manu

• Like 1

These Exoto cars are beautifully detailed,in fact they're but already-assembled multi-media kits!Thet would be great if they'd be offered as kits in the fiorst place because there are often blemishes,glue smears or misplaced parts!
I'm not only going to "weather" it but I'm going to correct it in a few areas as well,namely the steering and drive shafts,which are brass while in fact the were left in unpainted steel,add "glasses" to the dials and prime and airbrush the rear gas tanks with various shades of Alclads or dull it a bit.
Usually these models aren't even intended to be taken out of their boxes and kept as collectors' pieces but I bough mine from a Sicilian crook who scr@ed me big time;he assured me that the car was in as-new conditions while in fact it had a crushed and damaged rear gas tank (giving the "hump" its original shape and glueing together the PE steel plates has been a ROYAL PITA!) and a broken front suspension,I brilliantly fixed the latter but the gas tank made me sweat!
If you're buying cars off eBay I'd be more than glad to tell you his name in order ton avoid him like the plague!
Cheers
Manu

Ok,
time to get crackin' !I've washed the whole car with my airbrush loaded with Tamiya acrylic thinner and weathered the nose and the front suspension.with MIG pigments miked with Gunze acrylic matt varnish and tamiya acrylic thinner.That can still be easily wiped off with a blush brush so it must be sealed with artist's pastels fixative decanted in a plastic bottle and misted with the airbrush,with a medium pressure and 10" away.
While I was at it I carefully masked the area sorrunding the steering shaft and painted it with Gunze Mr,Supreme Metallic-San or whatever its name!
Still a lot of work to do,always keeping in mind how old race cars used to gather dust,grime,sooth and burnt oil on their projections...suffice to take a look at the faces of the pilots who had just finished a race to see how the goggles and helmet's rim acted as "stencils"!It's a good idea to take pictures or mental notes of cars that have been driven fast on dirty highways during winter!
Cheers
Manny
P4111178_zps9evwf0lu.jpg
P4111173_zpsqiwf9ar7.jpg
P4111172_zpsbridezav.jpg
P4111171_zpsdwhmbhxs.jpg
P4111170_zpsxx3mdpjz.jpg
P4111169_zpsxava8pah.jpg
P4111168_zpsqdileafk.jpg
P4111166_zpsaworhirk.jpg
P4111165_zpsqm79m9lw.jpg
P4111164_zpsqi66zgpx.jpg
P4111163_zps2adukpll.jpg
P4111161_zps9uponw48.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,
before even thinking of starting to work on this model I firts had to repair the main gas tank,which thing was tricky to say the least!I've had to scrape away the best part of the black resin/plastic tank "body" and wrestle the mis-shapen tank parts into submission...they're VERY HARD,THICK AND PRE-SHAPED nikel pats that would make the PE found in the old Trimaster kits look like they were made of household alu foil!As I've said in one of my previous post the kit came with the main gas tank squashed and a broken suspension assy
IMG_0004_zpsagjimoow.jpg
IMG_0008_zpsmxw4lcpf.jpg
IMG_0007_zpsbacsetw0.jpg
IMG_0006_zpswkzohoux.jpg

The car still looked too much worse for the wear;the period pictures taken during the Casablanca GP show a rather clean car but I'm going to try and depict it after a test drive on Modena's wet and slimy track on a cold and misty morning of a long gone October of 1958, and IIRC Modena's practice track originally was a former WW2 airfield very similar to Top Gear's one,but the ground was still made of concrete with the odd tarmac patch. After washing the whole car I'm going to redo the weathering over again.I've started with a dark wash on the engine and ancillaries to make the gorgeous details stand out better;it's Roy's Sutherland's mix of 50%50 water and Future (ten drops each) with two drops of Citadel Brown Ink and a drop of Citadel Black Ink added,but any acrylic paint or ink can do,even if Tamiyas won't work particularly well.

I've painted the steering shaft Alclad aluminum because on the model it's made of brass rod left in its natural color.Still quite far from the desired look but I'm working on it!
Cheers
Manu
P4191299_zpslgksqykg.jpg
P4191291_zpsk3k8mqve.jpg
P4191289_zpsektrnqgt.jpg
P4191276_zpstngm0lf2.jpg
P4191275_zpsgwwo2cxa.jpg
P4191274_zps9gpd5q4i.jpg
P4191280_zpslvsp0y5q.jpg

This is really fascinating. I love to see old cars wearing the life they led - model or 1:1. I've seen so many over restored cars looking like they just left the factory and, for me anyway, that's just washing the history out of them. I know that's hard to avoid when some restorations start with little more than a chassis and some rusty lace that used to be bodywork but some workshops are more sympathetic than others.

Super skills and this is really hitting the spot for me.

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

This is really fascinating. I love to see old cars wearing the life they led - model or 1:1. I've seen so many over restored cars looking like they just left the factory and, for me anyway, that's just washing the history out of them. I know that's hard to avoid when some restorations start with little more than a chassis and some rusty lace that used to be bodywork but some workshops are more sympathetic than others.

Super skills and this is really hitting the spot for me.

Cheers,

Roger

Hi Roger,

thank you so very much for your kind words!I'm 1000% with you on this matter;too many cars get overly restored and when the patina is gone...is gone forever!If you have read the last issue of Classic and Sportscar you've surely enjoyed a very interesting article on a famous Ferrari Testa Rossa which still bears the scars of an accident (I don't remember if the driver involved was the GREAT Peter Collins,one of the most chivalrous pilots to ever dtrive a car!) and the appalling mod the Ferrari team did to the gear linkage!

Cheers

Manu

Hi Manu,

Yes - excellent article in C&SC. My copy never goes unread for long after it hits the doormat! How about some burnishing fluid for the tank? I've never used it myself but if you were careful about how long the tank spent in the liquid then I think you could get an interesting result. I found this after a quick google but I'm sure there are better articles or videos - http://www.scaleplasticandrail.com/kaboom/index.php/all-other-subjects/all-things-consumables/81-pigments-a-weathering-products/1297-metal-burnishing-fluid-from-ak-interactive

Cheers,

Roger

Shaun and Rogers,
thank you for stopping,watching and trying to help me out!I've tried to paint the tank but the nikel refuses any kind of paint and even firearms blueing compound which is more "aggressive" than AK's fkluid which,incidentally,is just firearms blueing solution!If you're using this AK product for your tracks consider shopping around because a big bottle of cheapo blueing agent would cost a lot less! ;-)
I've just discovered that Citadel's inks "bite" on this metal...gonna have a go with different mixes,after all it can be wiped away with some windex!
On to the port side of the gas tank/ rear suspension assy now! :hobbyhorse:
P4191272_zpsrjvsr98f.jpg
P4191286_zpsybogzfzc.jpg
P4191283_zpsm4kzg8vb.jpg

Edited by Canuck63