Trumpeter 1/32nd F-100D "Hun"

Looking good, Peter. Just one small thing : the tail hook should actually be offset to starboard, alongside the triangular fairing, which was fitted as a guard for the hook to avoid accidental engagement of the arresting cable. If you look at some good three view drawings you'll see what I mean. HTH :cheers:

Cheers for that - wasn't obvious, and it's an easy fix

Needed to correct the hook, which shouldn't have been straight so went to the shed again while I remembered. Fixed the hook, then decided to carry on and do a bit more. First cleaned up the bombs, and rescribed the panels

P1000785_zpsj9c3es2p.jpg

Then sprayed the yellow

P1000786_zpsbj9ovtly.jpg

Masked off the content stripes, then sprayed Olive Drab lightened with a little Buff on the bomb bodies

P1000787_zpslrcwqh7f.jpg

Then finally sprayed the bomb fins with Olive Drab with a little IJA Green, and sprayed a coat of Gloss Varnish over then ready for a couple of decals and some more weathering

P1000788_zpsb2fhbmpb.jpg

Peter

Today's work - first finishing off the bombs. Started with decals followed by a Dot Filter on the main bomb unit

P1000789_zpscwo28xft.jpg

Then some pigments

P1000790_zpsg2t6ekpt.jpg

Matted down, then added Flightpath PE fuses, and fusing wires

P1000791_zpsc697gidx.jpg

Sprayed the Gear bays with H54 Interiour Green, and fitted the airbrake in place.

P1000792_zpshgkyfoxj.jpg

Made up the main gear doors, and sprayed them while I had the airbrush out

P1000793_zpsjo2gaaur.jpg

Finally masked off the canopy rear section, and tacked in place with some Copydex. Masked the side panels of the front section with Parafilm, then sprayed the main section with Alclad Armoured Glass

P1000794_zpsndtpsxno.jpg

Peter

• Like 1

Just another quick "Heads up" Pete . . . The wheel bay doors on F-100's were actually aluminium, and not interior green, as was the speed brake door. I have loads of close up pics of F-100;s, so if I can be of any help just PM me. HTH :cheers:

Looking good, looks like you found out as I did that if you build the kit as per the instructions with a front half and back half there is a filler and rescribe/re-rivet extravaganza! What markings are you going for?

Looking good, looks like you found out as I did that if you build the kit as per the instructions with a front half and back half there is a filler and rescribe/re-rivet extravaganza! What markings are you going for?

Will this be a camouflaged or NMF aircraft as both were operated in Vietnam ?

I will be doing it as

• F-100D-60-NA, 56-2927, 309 TFS/31 TFW, Tuy Hoa AB, Vietnam, 'Thor's Hammer'

And hopefully will end up looking something like this

http://www.f-100.org/images/f-100d_52898.jpg

Just another quick "Heads up" Pete . . . The wheel bay doors on F-100's were actually aluminium, and not interior green, as was the speed brake door. I have loads of close up pics of F-100;s, so if I can be of any help just PM me. HTH :cheers:

Thanks for that - seems to be a bit of a minefield, some photo's show green, but the cammo'd ones do look to have aluminium bays.

Peter

Work for today - First sprayed the wheel wells and gear doors with Alclad Aluminium

P1000795_zpsg6bq5spm.jpg

P1000796_zpsertwcqdl.jpg

Then glued the canopy in place - needed some Mr Surfacer 500 to fill a small gap

P1000797_zps2tlfo5bi.jpg

Added the mount for the refuelling probe, complete with the light masked with Parafilm

P1000798_zpsewknz3g5.jpg

Rubbed back the Mr Surfacer, and remasked a couple of places where i'd caught the parafilm on the canopy

P1000799_zpsxnwdbzhr.jpg

Masked off the gear bays with Blu-tak, and tacked the main gear doors in place

P1000800_zpst6n0w41c.jpg

Masked the intake with Blu-Tak

P1000801_zpsvc5q7joq.jpg

Sprayed the canopy black, added the PE wing fences, and masked off the nozzle

P1000802_zpsz0sy8zgy.jpg

Then out with the primer spray can, shake, and apply

P1000803_zpsuerwa6jx.jpg

This needs to cure now - there's a couple of places that will need touching up but nothing major.

Peter

Hi Pete,

I should have explained myself a bit clearer ! What I meant to say is that the wheel DOORS were aluminium, but that the wheel BAYS were interior green ! Still, I won't tell anyone if you won't ! Following this build with great interest, and you're doing a great job so far, Pete, especially the bombs . . .they look very realistic. :cheers:

Hi Pete,

I should have explained myself a bit clearer ! What I meant to say is that the wheel DOORS were aluminium, but that the wheel BAYS were interior green ! Still, I won't tell anyone if you won't ! Following this build with great interest, and you're doing a great job so far, Pete, especially the bombs . . .they look very realistic. :cheers:

Not a problem - not done any detail painting on the bays so easy to fix once the rest of the paint's done. Seen photos with various colour schemes for the bays so who can tell, but will probably spray the bays green, as it will give nice contrast.

It's Mr Surfacer Finishing Primer 1500 Black thinned with Mr Levelling Thinner - If you thin it about 70% thinners to Primer and lay on a few thin coats it dries glossy, using it thicker it dries matt.

Hi Peter, I'm a bit puzzled by this comment. I've been using the same stuff for around a year now for all my Alclad finished parts and I can honestly say I've never had it go matt the more coats I've applied, I use the same thinners as well. Its superb stuff though isn't it.

Tim.

Hi Peter, I'm a bit puzzled by this comment. I've been using the same stuff for around a year now for all my Alclad finished parts and I can honestly say I've never had it go matt the more coats I've applied, I use the same thinners as well. Its superb stuff though isn't it.

Tim.

It's not more coats, it's spraying with less thinner that makes it go matt - probably as it's drier when it hits the surface.

It's not more coats, it's spraying with less thinner that makes it go matt - probably as it's drier when it hits the surface.

Sorry I miss understood you, I normally use a high thinners/paint mix anyway so wouldn't have noticed.

Nice p/e work by the way.

Tim.

Today's work on the Hun

Started by rubbing the primer back with Micromesh, and touching up a couple of places that needed it

P1000804_zpsjsh7lju7.jpg

Started pre-shading with black along the panel lines

P1000805_zpsdavaesa1.jpg

P1000806_zpspb7bxpng.jpg

Then along the rivet lines with some grey

P1000807_zpseeiyay8a.jpg

Finally breaking up the panels with some Buff, gradually adding more and more white to the mix

P1000808_zps9ot5y8lr.jpg

Peter

This mornings work - basically started early, as I know I will need to leave the hot end a while before masking it off. So this is the rear section of the fuselage.

Start by lining up the Alclads and Tamiya clear paints that will be used for this

P1000810_zpsm1uzpnxg.jpg

So first lay down a nice even coat of Alclad Aluminium as a base

P1000811_zpsmwrxsvs4.jpg

Mask off the Afterburner section, and spray with Dark Aluminium, then very fine Jet Exhaust and finally Burnt Iron. With the Burnt Iron start picking out the centers of the panels where the metal would have got hottest

P1000811_zpsmwrxsvs4.jpg

Then a spray of Hotmetal blue - concentrate on the edges of the hot areas

P1000813_zpsudn4ij7h.jpg

Build up the effect with Hotmetal Sepia

P1000814_zpsrsqtsepc.jpg

Then Transparent Smoke

P1000815_zpsa8qamnjk.jpg

Finally very heavily thinned Tamiya clear orange ( 95% Mr Color Levelling thinner to paint )

P1000816_zpsqrnsvebb.jpg

This needs to completely cure before I start masking over it. The idea is to have a none uniform looking heated surface - it's close to how I want it, but it's close enough to mask over, as I know later on i've got to spray the 'flaking' cammo colour over the top so there will be more work to do.

Peter

• Like 4

Right - more done, started by masking off the metal area

P1000817_zpsbikykmnf.jpg

Sprayed the grey

P1000818_zpsrvxr0w4j.jpg

Then the Tan

P1000819_zpszuxk4tqz.jpg

Then the Mid green

P1000821_zpsddtynl9z.jpg

At this point I got a blockage in the nozzle of my Iwata Custom Micron CM-C Plus ( which is only 4 months old ), so for the first time I removed the nozzle - which sheared.

P1000820_zpseetmbpsb.jpg

To say that I am annoyed is an understatement - this isn't a cheap airbrush, spares aren't cheap and you need to replace the entire head rather than simply the nozzle. When I looked at it under a magnifier there are cracks all along the threads, so it's definately a manufacturing defect. I've contacted The Airbrush Company who do the Warranty for the airbrush ( and with whom I registered the warranty with ), so we'll see what happens.

I then switched to my old airbrush, and sprayed the dark green

P1000822_zpspkdjs482.jpg

P1000823_zpsx8fdwf1z.jpg

Peter (who's currently livid with Iwata)

• Like 5

Today's work - started by unmasking the metal area

P1000824_zpsetjjzonf.jpg

Then masked off the area again, and marked where the cammo area would be, ready to start adding in the heat affected cammo.

P1000825_zpsobmjpjz5.jpg

Start by spraying very heavily thinned Tamiya Buff ( 90% Mr Levelling thinners to 10% paint ), along the areas where there would be framing behind the panels (i.e. the areas that would stay cooler, and therefore the paint is more likely to remain ).

P1000826_zpsyzdunlt5.jpg

Then spray the Grey ( again 90% thinners ) on the bottom section, gradually covering over the buff and getting some overspray over the metal areas

P1000827_zps8twbgppl.jpg

Next up the Tan - same deal very thin paint, and low pressure building up gradually

P1000828_zpszzguscqd.jpg

Medium Green next

P1000829_zpsnspxeut4.jpg

Finally the dark green

P1000830_zpsycajamhe.jpg

Happy with how it turned out, really does look like the paint has been coming off due to the heat. Added the stabilators and the slats

P1000831_zpsxwalldtb.jpg

P1000832_zpstxf0f9rh.jpg

Finally sprayed a coat of Klear over the top of everything

P1000833_zpsluuczdmn.jpg

Peter

• Like 9