Porco Rosso's Savoia S21 Seaplane.

This is my first work in progress on britmodeller. I'm going to build Porco Rosso's Savoia S.21. For those of you who have never heard of this cartoon character here is a link to explain, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porco_Rosso The kit is manufactured by FineMolds and is in 1/48th scale. The model consist of 90 parts moulded in red, tan and grey with one clear part and 2 poly caps. There is also a decal sheet. I ordered the kit from HLJ.

image.jpg1_zpswxomgvgm.jpg

Box top

BB3A1AF4-14F1-4062-BE9F-6337670C3530_zps

Example of instructions

image.jpg4_zpsob5vlqtn.jpg

Wings and beaching trolly

84BD58CB-D61F-43AA-92C4-774B80B35C49_zps

Fuselage, engine and Porco figure.

image.jpg5_zpszfusiblz.jpg

Decals, windscreen and poly caps

Thank you for looking. Joe

• Like 3

Very interesting, I had no idea Porco's plane had been manufactured as a model. One question: Is the plane as it appears in the start of the film or after the crash and rebuilding with changes? Also, does it include the barrels-and-planks pier?

• Like 1

Great choice Joe, Porco Rosso is one of my favourite films. Looking forward to seeing the interior built up, I have this kit too, it looks great in the box.

Must be the only kit you can get with a pig, a teenage girl and a woman in an evening gown in it! :lol:

• Like 1

Joe..

Oooh NICE choice for a Sea plane..

CHÉ BELLA !!! :heart:

:clap2:

Like it (ran outfof MY like quotas .... :doh: )

Hello HOUSTON, thank you. :)

Very interesting, I had no idea Porco's plane had been manufactured as a model. One question: Is the plane as it appears in the start of the film or after the crash and rebuilding with changes? Also, does it include the barrels-and-planks pier?

POTKC, thank you. I believe there are two different releases of the model, mine is the early version (before the crash). I think Doug has the late version(after the rebuild) because his kit includes Fio and Gina, my does not. Also, barrels and planks for the pier are not included. I should have said ( I've since edited my post) that I ordered my kit from HLJ. if you look on their site, you will see the different versions.

Great choice Joe, Porco Rosso is one of my favourite films. Looking forward to seeing the interior built up, I have this kit too, it looks great in the box.

Must be the only kit you can get with a pig, a teenage girl and a woman in an evening gown in it! :lol:

Hi Doug, thank you, yeah, your right. Mine does not come with Fio and Gina. You have the late version I think. It was sold out when I bought mine. Joe

I'm away on holiday this week. I intend to make the kit up as much as I can using Formula 560, take a few photos to post, then take it apart to paint when I get back home. Thank you all for you interest. Joe.

Very cool! I just finished the same kit, but in 1/72. A marvelous kit, excellent fitting, good detailing. Just make sure if you use some filling on the fuselage, prime it first! Painting will be much easier.

Alex

• Like 1

Hello Alex, thank you I will keep that in mind. I'm not sure if I'm going to paint the green areas, or use the decals. I would rather paint them if I can find a good match. Joe

I'll be watching this thread closely, as this kit is high on my wishlist. I'm a big fan of Porco Rosso (and all other films by Hayao Miyazaki), i think i read in a review somewhere the decals are quite thin and a bit transparent, so this is something to keep in mind, so if you use them perhaps paint the areas white.

Edited by lunarhighway
  • Like 1

Thank you Lunarhighway, I agree. Porco Rosso is one of my favourite films.

I'll be watching this thread closely, as this kit is high on my wishlist. I'm a big fan of Porco Rosso (and all other films by Hayao Miyazaki), i think i read in a review somewhere the decals are quite thin and a bit transparent, so this is something to keep in mind, so if you use them perhaps paint the areas white.

Thank you, that's what I was thinking about. I will paint the model white and go from there. I might use a Tamiya Ferrari red rattle can for the final coat.

I've assembled the first section of Porco's seaplane. Using Formula 560 canopy glue, I tacked the parts together. None of the seams have been cleaned up yet. The fit of parts and detail is very good. If the rest of the kit is this good, I will be more than happy.

1FA66BD7-068C-477C-95B3-49A9261EDD78_zps

Frames, machine guns, magazines, bulkhead, fuel tank and seat in place.

I've not added the other detail in the cockpit yet.

Thank you for looking.

• Like 1

Looks great already. For an aircraft that never existed, the level of detail in this kit has always amazed me.

That's going to look epic painted up.

The quality of the detail impressed me. I hope I can do it justice when I paint it. I've put the engine together, again nice detail. I'll try and post a photo later today if I've got time.

I'm another anime fan.

I have the late version of this kit.

(Different picture on the boxtop)

And the Curtiss. (Amongst others)

Whether I'll ever get around to building

them is yet to be answered!

So, for now, I'll enjoy watching this build.

Pete

• Like 1

I'm another anime fan.

I have the late version of this kit.

(Different picture on the boxtop)

And the Curtiss. (Amongst others)

Whether I'll ever get around to building

them is yet to be answered!

So, for now, I'll enjoy watching this build.

Pete

Thank you Pete. I believe Doug has the late version like yourself. Joe

I built this a few years back. It's a great kit.

J.

I think your right about it being a great kit. It's always low stock or back ordered on the HLJ site.

This is something that I need to follow.

Thank you Vesa, I hope your not disappointed when it's finished.

I assembled the engine. It's got nice detail with a poly cap at the front end to mount the propeller.

image.jpg1_zpsafn9wjsl.jpg

Engine mounted on engine bed.

Thank you for looking.

This is the beaching trolly/stand for Porco's seaplane. It's a neat little trolly with a nice wood grain pattern that should look good after a bit of weathering has been applied.

image.jpg1_zpsv57wlc9e.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsbklu087w.jpg

The kit comes with two figures of Porco. I think the standing figure works out about 6 ft. The pilot figure is smaller, but I don't intend to use him.

image.jpg3_zpsezdq89a7.jpg

If anyone thinks this photo should be in the 'Show us your face' post. Please note, I do not have a moustache!

Thank you for looking.

it was my first figure. I'm always a bit afraid of figure painting, but since this is anime (which means full colour and almost no shadows/highlighting) gave it a go. Was't disappointed by the result. Looks nice beside the aircraft!

porco1_zps87129108.jpg

Alex

• Like 4

it was my first figure. I'm always a bit afraid of figure painting, but since this is anime (which means full colour and almost no shadows/highlighting) gave it a go. Was't disappointed by the result. Looks nice beside the aircraft!

porco1_zps87129108.jpg

Alex

That's very good. Thank you for posting it Alex.

Fabulous! Would look good next to the Wallace and Gromit plane from Airfix, if you want to start a shelf...

Regards,

Adrian

Thank you Adrian, good idea. I have one in the loft along with the A40 van.

I'm a huge fan of Hayao Miyazaki movies and I've been eyeing with this kit for a while now. I'll follow this build with great interest.

Thank you N5016R, I didn't realise there were so many Porco Rosso fans on Britmodeller.