Lockheed P-38E - DAG058's Academy 1/48b

6707046bbcce659c1c7eb2fd524705ac_zpsyo9m

4bec1fe4a3011e9101ede1d146b9fe2b_zpslmmx

00daeca435a91fedf55d1eeeba33e175_zpstnuw

0e32b5b3854cc770fc1d824170d1dfef_zpspark

0b11fbfc6d7849b86c2d02c9ee586284_zpsgoqf

Welcome to my Group Build Thread!

I've gone for the Academy 1/48 P-38E. The kit is in good condition however as you can see a few parts are off the sprues. Some of the cockpit parts are missing though so I have been forced into getting resin replacement. I have also ordered better decals. The after market parts will be photographed when they arrive!

This will be my first GB, first 1/48 model and first time using resin! Im a little nervous but very excited, I hope you'll enjoy the journey with me.

Edited by DAG058
  • Like 3

welcome aboard and especially for your first GB!

No need to be nervous, they're great fun and before you know it you'll be signing yourself up for every GB the comes along, then it's all down hill form there!! :D He says speaking from experience! :doh:

1/48th is a great scale for doing detailing, it's much easier to work with the small parts, and resin, my favorite medium, just love the stuff. Nothing hard about it, just give it a really good clean/soak in bleach, wear a mask to avoid the dust and try not to stick you fingers together with CA glue (5min araldite is good to). So what resiny bits are you getting?

Anyway enjoy the build, not long to go now and if you need help with the resiny bits just sing out myself or someone else will happily help.

• Like 1

Thanks for the warm welcome Trickyrich, it means a lot!

The cockpit is an Aires set. It has a little PE thrown, I've played with a PE before and found it a nightmare so this could be very fun to watch. I'll get a photo of the resin a decals up as soon as they arrive.

I'm looking forward to learning more about the P-38 during this GB, it's an aircraft I know little about.

And finally, that box art is great isn't it?!

For a early bird there is only the set from quickboost that I now off. The one from master is for the later versions.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Thanks Arniec.

So next questions...

To prepare the resin parts do you just mix up a bit of bleach in hot water and scrub them with a toothbrush?

And can Superglue (locktight) be used instead of CA glue?

yes and yes

you can even soak them in the bleach solution, use warm/hot water, don't use boiling or very hot water as it could soften the resin.You can use it though if you have any warped resin bits as it well return them to there original shape.

• Like 1

Made a start yesterday. Started by tidying up the resin parts and removing the moulding blocks. This was truely tedious!

This has been a slow start, I've been trying to finish my other Lightning (English Electric!) before I get too tied up with this build.

I managed to get a few good hours today to get this thing started.

Up until now all I had done was prepare the resin by removing the casting blocks and washing it in warm water with bleach. The a dry fit run of the cockpit a fuselage to ensure it will all go together

Today I have fitted the PE to the cockpit parts. All the resin was then primed with Vallejo primer in preparation for painting.

I have also removed some of the small models parts (undercarriage etc) which will be fitted at the end of the build. These parts have been cleaned up and are awaiting priming. The undercarriage bays were assembled.

These undercarriage bays were fitted into the tail booms and these were glued together. The booms will need a bit of filler and sanding.

In all the excitement I haven't taken any photos! I only have this one for now.

5bc0b1ab1d1b391a7023fcb684fc89fb_zpsygnt

good to see you're off the a good start, with all the tedious stuff out of the way.

The detail in those resin cockpits are great, which makes it very easy to turn them into something quite impressive.

So today I have managed to get the pit in.

b5c321407afcbffde5f9647141489923_zpsvvvo

And I've decided to use the kit combing rather than the resin part.

b321e6dd24baaacaa6ce9c87f4452507_zpsj9px

The reason behind this was I found the resin part was about 2mm too small and would leave a large gap where it meets the fuselage. Not a problem though as it's not a massively detailed part so the kit part will do me just fine.

The only major issue so far is the instrument panel is one of the lost parts that was missing when I go the kit so I will have to scratch build it out of plastic card. This shouldn't be too hard though as it's going to be hidden.

the cockpit tub looks great, some nice painting there.

Making an instrument panel? What about the one in the aftermarket one you have or have I missed something?

It's attached to the resin combing, well and truly locktighted in!

I've now fitted the top half of the wing/fuselage and the instrument panel is barely visible so I'm not too worried at all.

The fit of this model isn't great, looks like I'll be doing a lot of sanding tomorrow.

So the fit of this model really is stinking! I've spent the last hour or so sanding down the forward fuselage section. I've been getting myself worked up about this as I always seem to struggle with rescribing lines therefore I don't want to sand away panel lines. There was no way I could leave the model the way it was though. So filler has been applied to all gaps and panels have been sanding level with each other.

Here is where I'm at at the moment. A second round of filler and sanding is still needed, then a bit of work on the nose tip. Wish me luck for the afternoon...

00e3a31f961346f2e884d6866d5ec2f0_zpshw1v

Edited by DAG058

I have attached the booms and built the tail. There were also some big gaps and misalignments around the boom joins. I have filled these and the previous seems with another layer of filler.

The engines and nose are packed full of heavy duty lead solder to stop this being a tail sitter. It's bloody heavy now, im sure I've passed the safe working load of my workbench!

b3f2eac3ac0d1a88547e77403bbd9241_zpswrqo

I've decided I'm going to have the finished model with no stores, I think it will show off the style and class of the aircraft a lot better!

Whilst all this has been setting I spent a while tidying up the canopy parts. I have used to tamiya polishing compound set to get them up to a good standard.

I think I will retire here for the weekend. I feel like I've made huge progress today so I'm feeling good about the build.

• Like 1

Tonight has seen another hour of sanding. I've managed to get all the filler off, it's all looking a lot better. The majority of the panels are niw level and there are no gaps which names me happy! Tomorrow I will hopefully be able to use a very fine grain paper and get it to a nice standard. Then it will be time to do the dreaded panel lines!

I'm still fumbling my way through this. I've not got a great feeling about it though. The amount of filling and sanding I've had to do thus far is making me think is it really worth it? Especially when I can't seem to get good results!