SADF Buffel

Christmas came early (or late I guess depending on your outlook) for me!

I've recently taken an interest in MRAPs used in Afghanistan and Iraq. I've just completed the RG31 (once I've finished the base I shall post pics), and am in the process of building a Buffalo ... what a beautiful vehicle! While researching these vehicles the South African connection was a common thread to almost every MRAP out there.

So, to try get a timeline of sorts of MRAPs I went to baxmod.co.za and ordered 4 of their kits, Buffel, Casspir, Ratel and Rhino. An impatient wait followed but finally last week they arrived!!!!

As I have limited resin kit experience I am going to start on what seems to be the easiest to build, the Buffel.

I will post some 'in the box' pics tonight and once that's done I shall break out the superglue and start gluing pieces together.

• Like 3

Good luck with the Baxmopdel kits you might also want to look at www.aerografix.co.za they have a G5 and G6 amongst others in their range and the quality is excellent.

Colin

Looking forward to seeing this come together - there is a Buffel at the Tank Museum Bovington although it may not be on public display all the time

Roger

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies everyone. Apologies for the delay in posting the promised photos but family life got in the way. Anyway, here's the photos and an update.

Here's the box shot:

buff1_zpspjwo6dhk.jpg

At first glance the kit looks good. I downloaded a number of reference photos and everything looks pretty good. This is a resin kit and the instructions are what I've come to expect from resin kits - you need to have some photos to cross reference against the plans and you need to do lots of dry fitting before applying the superglue.

There are a number of areas that I noticed could do with improvement. BaxMod give you some etch metal parts which I felt needed replacement. I have never been keen with many of the parts that manufacturers give as etch metal as I feel they are too flat, etch is often used for steps etc. that in real life are made from piping of some thickness.

I decided that the etch grating was too large and needed to be replaced with something finer. Also the bars that protect the headlights are better represented using plastic rod.

buff5_zps62qtxfdr.jpg

Here's the grating in place:

buff3_zpsjg4f2slr.jpg

I also decided to replace the suspension with coiled wire:

buff6_zpsjlsf6pm7.jpg

And finally here's a shot of in progress work on the passenger compartment and the chassis:

buff4_zpslotxzyqp.jpg

buff2_zpsmgbxhnwh.jpg

Overall I am finding this kit is very easy to put together. There are a number of errors when compared against my reference photos but in defence of BaxMod, it does appear that the Buffel went through a number of modifications throughout its career.

Thanks for reading.

• 2 weeks later...

Good effort. Nice to see another modeller falling "victim" to accuracy, nothing like adding the extra bits not in the kit, especially when no one is going to see them!

Crack on.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the lack of work in progress updates but I've finally finished this one. All that remains is to add some seatbelts and a windscreen wiper. But apart from that I'm calling it finished.

buffel3_zpsid5u37mp.jpg

buffel4_zpspuckt69k.jpg

buffel1_zpsn7yxyowo.jpg

buffel2_zpsczz7kufs.jpg

Edited by Gajman
  • Like 2