Su-27 Flanker (Academy +++) - I guess It's done

Hi, I must say, It took me while to tackle this one, but inspired with double build from splinter and JFVicente, it was a time to open the pandora's box and go for it. I don't think I will ever throw so much aftermarket into a model, but I believe this is the only way to serve this beauty. Besides adding aftermarket, I will try to scratchbuilt some of the missing parts, repair some of the things that are wrong,so stay tuned.

Let's begin with the box... or better say, aftermarket.

AMparts.jpg

I am planning to build the RED 01, (dubbed Kopeyka) from 689 GvIAP

su_27_01l_x.png

red01.jpg

So that's it for now. I am going to clean some resin bits.....

Edited by gregax
  • Like 4

hi,

looking good! what an assortment! :) :)

if you think you have enough resin here and need a small PE challenge, I would recommend you to use the Dreammodel PE for the exhaust nozzles or the ones from North Star!

I used the Dreammodel ones once and they are a lot better, imho, than the Aires nozzles which have an exagerated curvature of the single nozzle feathers, apart from being too small in diameter!

here some reference of what I am talking:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234928514-su-27ub-flanker-148-pe-nozzles/

good luck!

Thanks Exdraken, but I won't be able to squeeze that extra pe set for exhausts in it. So, Aires ones will have to do.

Spent an hour yesterdar cleaning the cockpit parts and cutting them off the casting blocks. First impression; cockpit looks

fantastic and it fits more or less. Only the side panels are a bit problematic, so some cutting of was needed to dryfit them in place. More to come.

27_cockpitresin.jpg

27_cockpitresin1.jpg

• Like 3

Flanker (and family) builds tend to get to ridiculous levels of awesome because of the use of amazing aftermarket parts and just general skill, and I doubt this one will break the pattern. Will watch!

• Like 1

While cockpit parts are covered in surfacer and already painted with base color, I tackled the wheelbays. They require major surgery, but with trusty dremel, files, and epoxy glue they look

the job. I still wonder how I will paint all the details...

27_underresin.jpg

Edited by gregax
  • Like 3

Cockpit parts (apart from ejection seat) are completed. I will add the smallest details at the last moment to avoid loosing them.

Base color ir gunze RLM65, details picked with Vallejo colors (more or less)

P1020351_11.jpg

Washed using AK Brown blue wash, after that drybrushed with light grey oils

P1020367_11.jpg

Completed cockpit tub.

P1020387_11.jpg

• Like 21

While the cockpit is waiting for the installment (the side consoles are glued to the fuselage, but some putty and paint is still needed there), I've decided to tackle the engine intakes.

There are a couple of details missing, so I've decided to build them from scratch. So, some opening were cut, some panels were added. It is still half way done - I will detail it some more as

the build progresses.

P1020356_1.jpg

Intake shutters (?) are a part of Eduard PE set, They are easy to make, I prefer to solder them rather to glue them with CA glue.

P1020369_1.jpg

Tons of Squadron green putty to smooth things up, base paint sprayed to the wheelbay areas.

P1020372_1.jpg

su27_wb1.jpg

• Like 6

i saw the quickboost flapperon ... sorry to ask silly question ... what happened with the academy one ? are they in the wrong shape ... can anyone tell me ...
(i still thinking after market that in my opinion "worth" to buy .... and this flap thing is still giving me big question).
cheers,

steve