Canberra T17 1/48 (Airfix and Alley Cat conversion)

Morning all.

Just finished this one, its the 1/48 Airfix B2 with the Alley Cat T17 conversion.

Everything fitted really well except for the pilot and seat which needed some shoogling about to fit properly.

It has the PJ productions modern RAF pilot,an Airies ejector seat, and resin wheelbays.

Its painted with Halfords car spraypaint (Rover champagne biege upper and racking grey undersides) and finished with a spray of halfords matt lacquer, Ive also filled all the panel lines..

I've given it very light weathering, photos I have seen of the real aircraft either show it very clean or very dirty.

The only issue I'm having is condensation inside the canopy. I gave it a good wash down before painting and I thought it was thoroughly dry but some moisture has obviously got inside and doesn't now want to leave.

Also, I need a good idea of what to use as aerial wire, I resorted to using fine jewelery wire but its not tight enough and looks a bit wrong..

Heres some photos (photography is not my strong point and are done on a camera phone).

20150401_111450_zpsihlq1gkp.jpg

20150401_111514_zpsopvy1ihe.jpg

Some outdoor shots...

20150401_083716_zps4kk3yua2.jpg

20150401_083739_zpskwx4nawz.jpg

And here she is with my growing fleet of Canberras (a PR7 and PR9)

20150401_111822_zpswuw8kgoz.jpg

All comments welcome..

• Like 15

Good work on the Canberra - very nice.

For aerial wire, for a while I've been using EZ line, which I get from Models R Go. Comes in two thicknesses depending on what scale you're working in, and has really good stretch properties so gives a nice tight looking wire. Attaches nicely with a little dab of superglue.

• Like 1

Very, very nice,......it looks great and also wears my favourite T.17 scheme too,.......the others look nice too, especially the 31 Sqn one,...is it a PR.3?

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Mark,

Splendid job there. Any danger of a few more shots of the PR7 please? I have the same conversion part-done and need some serious inspiration.

As requested..

Be careful with the attachment of the nose. I gave mine a very slight knock a couple of days ago and the whole thing broke off (much loud swearing followed).

Its spray painted with Halfords grey primer and Tamiya AS9 upper and Halfords Racking grey undersides.

20150402_135739_zpsdfa84d84.jpg

20150402_135840_zps9c6d32c0.jpg

20150402_135754_zpsbb0248b1.jpg

Mark.

• Like 2

Thanks Mark.

I sympathise over the separated nose: if you did it before taking the photos it doesn't show.

Did you find Alley Cat's fuselage plug was slightly under sized diameter-wise compared to the Airfix parts? Mine seems about 10 thou' light all round.

Thanks Mark.

I sympathise over the separated nose: if you did it before taking the photos it doesn't show.

Did you find Alley Cat's fuselage plug was slightly under sized diameter-wise compared to the Airfix parts? Mine seems about 10 thou' light all round.

I did find it very slightly out, it was worse depending what way round it went.

A thin skim of filler solved it though. The main part I had problems fitting was the forward camera port, it was a fraction too wide and too shallow.

Edited by Haggis9444

Nice models - I'd second the use of EZ line!

Did you find that the Alley Cat resin cockpit section fitted OK? I'm in the process of building the T.11 and I had quite a bit of hassle getting the clear resin section to get a smooth fit to the Airfix fuselage - but it could well be me!

Nice models - I'd second the use of EZ line!

Did you find that the Alley Cat resin cockpit section fitted OK? I'm in the process of building the T.11 and I had quite a bit of hassle getting the clear resin section to get a smooth fit to the Airfix fuselage - but it could well be me!

It was a case of measure 10 times, cut carefully and very gradually sand the excess off until it fitted. Once the aperture was correct, it fitted like a glove.

I would definately leave fitting it until last though. I found with the PR7 that when I fitted it early on then fine dust got inside and was impossible to remove.