1/24 B-wing

I'm working slowly on a 1/24 B-wing- Trying to create the 'Orange spot/ rising sun' version from this Alfred Wong kit- accurizing and scratchbuilding most of the parts so I'm closer to the studio miniature, prefer to ditch the resin. Original miniature was 1/35 scale. The cockpit rotates and it will have LED lighting. Close to 30" in length with metal armature for mounting.

DSC09782.jpg

DSC09783.jpg

DSC09784.jpg

DSC09717.jpg

DSC09488.jpg

DSC09555.jpg

To do - new lower wing gunpod, brass hinges for the wing fold mechanism and revised front office for pilot.....oh and finishing that big Thunderbird 2...

• Like 12

• 1 month later...

cor - that's a bit of a monster sized B-Wing you have there - any build updates??

Thanks all. Yes actually working on it right about now. Have fashioned a wing folding mechanism in brass which I had to because the resin kit parts would have sheared off/warped and were not accurate anyway in reference to the orange spot studio miniature. Also built a new wing keel gunpod. Mostly trying to scratch new parts which is taking ages. Thank god I have a dremel....Will try to post pictures tomorrow.

I

I like this! The b wing hasn't been well served by model companies

Totally, maybe Bandai might step up? When you look at the design it feels like an A-10 Thunderbolt or Skyraider with all the guns and cannons bristling from it- any Tie fighters/Intercepters straying into its field of fire would be powdered into instant star dust. Pity it had little screen time too- think I heard that the thin profile made it disappear in the final cuts.

Sorry on photo delay. Cockpit nose cone is badly warped due to my over zealous use of heat gun. So will scratch a new one. Anyway quick shots, every part has been modified or scratched. Tedious.

DSC09805.jpg

DSC09800.jpg

DSC09811.jpg

DSC09808.jpg

DSC09813.jpg

DSC09803.jpg

DSC09804.jpg

• Like 5

They did indeed cut their screen time, due to filming issues. It was originally planned to show a squadron of B-Wings taking a Star Destroyer apart.

Nice work so far. Particularly like the brass hinges. :thumbsup2:

I also have one of these monsters, safely stashed away, so know just how much work is needed.

Seems like you've got it all under control, though. ;)

• Like 2

This is looking great.

Are these kits still avaiable ?

I think Robert Burns in the States was releasing it again - not sure. If you want a better B-wing go for the Frank & Moe 1/35 scale one as its pretty close to the studio miniature but you'll still need to do a few mods for the orange spot version although you won't need to tear into the model like this one- not sure if its available still though. I had planned on building this 1/24 OOB but when I studied photos of the actual miniature my OCD kicked in and now I'm miserable with fingers super glued together and no fingerprints..

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 20/04/2017 at 3:43 AM, Neo uk said:

If you do get stuck I've got a vac-formed if you need help.

Thank you appreciate that, I'm refining the buck master and going to give it a go.

• 6 months later...