Tamiya 1/32 P-51D Mustang Cripes a' Mighty

Hi folks, this is my latest work in progress- the rather wonderful Tamiya Mustang. I will be adding a few Barracuda resin goodies in the cockpit, resin wheels, cockpit stencils and HGW belts.

bo1.jpg

Work started in the cockpit- the Barracuda Stencils are a must, IMHO.

bo2.jpg

bo3.jpg

bo4.jpg

Also working on the engine.

DSCN1516.jpg

As most of the engine will be covered I am not going to bother too much adding the ignition wiring, with the exception of the top coil.

• Like 4

More done.

Cockpit floor and fuel tank painted.

bo5.jpg

The barracuda battery packs are a good upgrade on the kits parts.

bo7.jpg

I have the seat painted and control column, also barracuda painted and glued in place.

bo6.jpg.

Until next time ...

• Like 2

Friends,

Have been working away diligently on this kit. Some areas of this kit are a little over-engineered for my liking. Have had some trouble getting the upper engine frame and the exhaust housing to fit. Finally got it into place, but I have noticed when you put the cowling in place it spreads a little toward the nose.

I originally painted a fair bit of the exposed metal area of this in Vallejo metallic paint. This stuff really does not like to be handled at all- rubs off so easily. I bought some of the new AK Interactive Xtreme Metal Paints, and so far so good with them. Their black base isnt really gloss, I have found, so doesnt quite give the metallics the smooth shiny base that I thought it would.

Looks like I will be using old faithful- Tamiya X-1 thinned with Mr Color Self Levelling Thinner for the gloss base coat.

Pictures to follow- I am using my work computer to type this and it really doesn't like Photobucket at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the result of painting some of the metallics. The AK polished aluminium turns out really well, but does need a protective coat over it if you are intending to weather it.

I have also Alclad Dark Aluminium for the Jess shiny metallic areas, such as gun bay covers. Think I will paint my wings either dark aluminium or duraluminum.

757D8611-59AB-4E4D-83DB-483DB6F97825.jpg

Friends,

Have been working away diligently on this kit. Some areas of this kit are a little over-engineered for my liking. Have had some trouble getting the upper engine frame and the exhaust housing to fit. Finally got it into place, but I have noticed when you put the cowling in place it spreads a little toward the nose.

I originally painted a fair bit of the exposed metal area of this in Vallejo metallic paint. This stuff really does not like to be handled at all- rubs off so easily. I bought some of the new AK Interactive Xtreme Metal Paints, and so far so good with them. Their black base isnt really gloss, I have found, so doesnt quite give the metallics the smooth shiny base that I thought it would.

Looks like I will be using old faithful- Tamiya X-1 thinned with Mr Color Self Levelling Thinner for the gloss base coat.

Pictures to follow- I am using my work computer to type this and it really doesn't like Photobucket at all.

Yes, the front cowling area is very finicky... I had a heck of a time with mine and ended up doing a lot of grinding to get it to fit. It has to do with the alignment of the engine/cockpit pod. If it is twisted the slightest, and there is enough slop in the parts, it won't sit right... I eventually left the motor screw loose and glued the front together and then tightened up on the screw...but that was all my fault. A friend built his with the minimum motor parts to make it work and glued the cowlings on and they fit like a glove. Great job so far and I'm liking forward to the finish. Mine is about 98% done and I'll be posting the completed model soon. Edited by Bravo52
  • Like 1

Bravo,

After playing around with it for a while I managed to get it fitting better. I managed to find the problem was the hose piping that glues under the top engine frame- it was stopping on of the side support from sitting at the proper angle. I cut the hose behind the frame and have yet to reattach it. As much as I am tempted to glue the cowlings on, I really want to see the engine.

• Like 1

Been working away on this.

I have filled all the panel lines on the wings, sanded them flush and shot a coat of zinc chromate primer over them.

wing%201.jpg

Next up will be a spray of AK worn effects chipping fluid then a coat of silver paint.

Also been doing the propellor.

Firstly sprayed Alclad Dark Aluminium, then a coat of RLM 74 on the tips, before masking.

I then sprayed some worn effects on it and sprayed the Cuffs rubber black.

prop%201.jpg

The next pic is after the rest of the prop was painted, a stipple coat added using a sponge with Lifecolor shades of black paint, to add weathering.

I then chipped away the leading edges leaving the Alclad showing- no chipping should be on the cuffs as these were rubber.

I removed the masking tape from the tips.

prop%203.jpg

After that I have sprayed the prop in Klear ready for decals.

The propellor boss is AK Xtreme Metal Polished Aluminium.

prop%204.jpg

prop%205.jpg

Thanks for looking- decals going on in the next day or so.

• Like 2

Every so often you hear of a tip that just changes the way you do everything. I heard mine the other day- courtesy of Spencer Pollard & Roy Sutherland.

Black wash- a mix of klear, water and x-1 black paint. This wash is amazing- have used it on the propellor hub and boss on the above picture.

When I think of the money I have wasted over the past few years trying to source a perfect wash for undercarriage, shadowy cockpit areas etc.....

Great tip for the black wash, I like to try to make my own as well, I use mostly watercolours. It's a real pain having to fill and sand all the wing panel lines, but at least it's not the Dragon version, I am still battling with mine after a couple of years.

Looking forward to more

John