New ICM 1/72 Polikarpov I-153, CAF.

Hi everyone,

Here's my take on ICM's new-tool 1/72 Polikarpov I-153.

It's been completed using LF Models decals (HERE) to represent an aircraft of the Nationalist Chinese Air Force in 1941. It's hand painted throughout, using Humbrol enamels, then glossed using Humbrol Clear for decalling then finally flat coated using a Humbrol Matt Varnish rattle can. As is my normal modus operandi for biplanes, it's unrigged.

As for the kit itself, it's rather nice. The only thing I would watch out for is the plastic, it's quite brittle. I ended up breaking the interior cockpit frame, tailplane struts and parts of the undercarriage during the clean up process! <_< Other than that it goes together easily with only a bit of filler needed around the wingroots, the wing-to-fuselage join underneath and the upper cowling intake where it joins the top wing.

CAF I-153 00

CAF I-153 02

CAF I-153 01

CAF I-153 03

CAF I-153 04

CAF I-153 05

CAF I-153 06

Here it is alongside the new tool Airfix Gladiator I completed in CAF markings at Christmas 2013:

CAF Pair 00

CAF Pair 01

Comments welcome!

Mike. :)

Edited by MikeR
  • Like 11

Excellent work Mike. I tried building an ICM I-16 many years ago. It lives in a landfill now next to my ROG Fairey Gannet..

Edited by Les Moore
  • Like 1

Thanks guys! :thumbsup2:

I'll admit that early Soviet aircraft aren't normally within my area of interest, but this immediately appealed to me when I saw it in the Rumourmonger section of the forum. When I found out that the Chinese had used them against the Japanese, it became a must have!

Mike. :)