Static layout

Ratch

Ssshhhh... Don't tell anyone, but I'm a secret model railway layout enthusiast! I spent my younger years yearning to have the space and money to start a layout, then teenage years came and all the associated diversions took me away from modelling. When I did return, I'd forgotten about the railways until recently. I've now started slowly collecting tracks and various items for my retirement (it's still 15 years away!!) so that when I do get the time, I'll not have a massive financial shock when I start.

This is look great!!

• Like 2

Ssshhhh... Don't tell anyone, but I'm a secret model railway layout enthusiast! I spent my younger years yearning to have the space and money to start a layout, then teenage years came and all the associated diversions took me away from modelling. When I did return, I'd forgotten about the railways until recently. I've now started slowly collecting tracks and various items for my retirement (it's still 15 years away!!) so that when I do get the time, I'll not have a massive financial shock when I start.

This is look great!!

Me too. My wife says she will help me by modelling the buildings and landscapes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I broke out a Dapol Windmill. The model portrays a post mill almost identical to that at Outwood in Surrey.

http://www.outwoodmill.com/
411777889.jpg

Bought in Great Yarmouth in 2012. Moulded in light grey plastic, the parts are quite heavily flashed; some cleaning up is required. Transparencies are not provided. The parts were washed in warm, soapy water and allowed to dry. I trimmed the excessive flash using a scalpel and sanding sticks.
411777962.jpg

411777959.jpg

I constructed stage one and airbrushed the primer for the dark and light base colours. I airbrushed a mortar colour onto the circular walls.
411777965.jpg

I dry brushed various greys on the wooden parts. The sloping roof was given similar treatment. The walls were dry-brushed to highlight the bricks. I airbrushed the window frames and sails with white. Then I cut clear Plastikard and stuck this to the inside of the window frames to make the windows. Assembly is straightforward following the instructions of seven exploded diagrams, I completed this in under 5 hours :analintruder:
Paints used:

Vallejo Model Air 71001 White = window frames, sails
Vallejo Model Air 71027 Light Brown = mortar
Vallejo Model Color 167 70995 German Grey / 166 70994 Dark Grey / 165 70866 Grey Green = smock, doors
Vallejo Model Color 164 70867 Dark Bluegrey = sloped roof
Andrea Color 1st Base / 2nd Base = brickwork

411777891.jpg

Edited by Ratch
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, it's really coming along nicely Ratch,

I do like the church, it's painted and weathed nicely. Can't wait to see where the windmill is going to go?

Ozzy, on 14 Nov 2015 - 08:53 AM, said:

Can't wait to see where the windmill is going to go?

Nor can I :analintruder:

I did have a plan, but things are taking up more room than anticipated. I'm contemplating another board :work:

• Like 1

Nor can I :analintruder:

I did have a plan, but things are taking up more room than anticipated. I'm contemplating another board :work:

I know what you mean, there is so many intresting kits around.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some folks have been amazed that I've built over 100 models in this year, but when they go together this easy its no problem.
This morning's work on a Thatched Cottage...
412011332.jpg
412011341.jpg
412011344.jpg
412011348.jpg
412011351.jpg
412011356.jpg

This is a couple of hours work.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

On with this batch of trucks. Another Monarch, this time a flatbed...
412416945.jpg

I airbrushed some basic colours before starting assembly
412416948.jpg

I have to decide what type of body to add to the Bedford ML, the kit mouldings look pretty rough
412416946.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just caught up with this and wow, amazing!

I too am a closet locomotive fan, with idle dreams of one day having a layout of my own.

Looking forward to more.

Christian, exiled to africa

• Like 1

Thanks Christian. Initially I'd hoped to show this at a few model shows, but that seems very unlikely now, so motivation has somewhat waned. But it WILL be completed, just not as quickly as I intended.

I cleaned up the parts for the Bedford ML as best I could. It has a dreadful reputation for heavy flash and ill-fitting parts
412492329.jpg

The fit is awful, the chassis is twisted and the coachwork panels fit where they touch
412492330.jpg

I really can't be bothered to build a body for it...

412492347.jpg
412492349.jpg
412492350.jpg
412492351.jpg
412492352.jpg
maybe one day

• Like 3