Austin Tilly in Italy?

Killingholme

Hi all,

I want to finish my Tamiya Austin Tilly in Italian theatre colours to complement my other Italian campaign models. However I haven't been able to find a photo of one in the theatre- and I've just spent 2 hours looking at every single Italian theatre photo on the IWM website!

So, does anyone know of a photo of a Tilly in use somewhere in Italy- particularly a vehicle wearing the 'Light mud' scheme with the air-identification roundel?

Will

I think Nigel has something there, not to an actual photo, but determining when lend lease jeeps were available in quantity. I've read one unofficial comment of late 1943/44 - so will take more digging into to confirm.

Have you tried contacting Michael Shackleton, or leaving an email through the Tilly register site? http://austin.tillyregister.com/contact.html

regards,

Jack

• 2 weeks later...

I think there are photos in the Tilly colours book, and didn't Alan Whciker use one in Italy as a war correspondent? Fairly sure there is at least one photo in his autobiography, although I don't have a copy myself to check.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Austin Tillys would have been used as officer transport with LoC and supporting units. road use only. Markings for REME or field workshops etc would do. Mike Shackleton's book has two in Tunisia but these are in UK camouflage and a Morris in UK colours stuck in mud.

'you mean Lines of Communication by LoC? ' Yes I did. The M.E.G.O for Italy states that LOC and rear area vehicles need not immediately be repainted or may only be the basic colour of Light Mud, so an overall single colour will be fine as long as the markings are suitable too.

• Like 1