1/24 tamiya porsche 956

Here is my build thread of tamiyas porsche 956

This car started out as the 84 newmans jeans car but i will be making it as the below picture, they do look similar in colour i know but for some reason i prefer this version

20150325_163400_zpsn94ayjzi.jpg

Here is my progress in the last few nights

I cut the door out as i love the look of this car with the door open

20150325_163346_zps99pksabz.jpg

Before i forget i also have the studio 27 etch set

20150325_163430_zpseojqoxy2.jpg

As i have opened the door i have decided to make the front area under the body look abit better more like this ⬇

DSC03703_zpsftzqa4yp.jpeg

So here is where i am with that at the moment

20150325_163254_zpsjio1vhei.jpg

It will be change significantly before i am happy

And lastly a quick mock up of the major parts

20150325_163627_zpss8da2384.jpg

More to come once the paint turns up

Shaun

• Like 2

Thanks for the comments but i will have to take a few days off from anything as I've caught my youngests illness. If I get anything done i will post it but don't hold out for much

Shaun

Edited by shood23

So with a full days rest under my belt i was back at my desk this morning and here is what i have archived

I made the top part of the frontal area it just needs to be covered with foil now

20150329_162125_zpsts0egqxp.jpg

And this is how it will look on the car

20150329_162205_zpseaw04yyc.jpg

I know that once the front part of the body goes on at the end this will never get seen again but its nice to know its there, talk about making more work for myself than is needed

And i couldnt resist a quick body mock to see what needs doing around the open door

20150329_103628_zpsvf40wdx1.jpg

Hopefully the paints will finally turn up tomorrow and i can get paintins some of the bits that dont need much more done to them

Also just a little preview, in the picture of the real car in the first post i am in the process of making the tubing at the very front and then hopfully getting on to the engine area after as really thats the only bit on the car that will be seen once done

Shaun

• Like 2

I dug my Canon sponsored 956 out of the stash this weekend because of this thread. I will be watching this with interest.

Have you used Studio 27 etched parts before? I have the same set for this kit, and just wondered...

The 956 is such a beautiful car and iconic as well.

Cheers, Alan.

Thanks for the kind words and Alan i have indeed used studio 27 etch sets on other models and they fit very well most of the time, while looking at the set for this car i was a little worried about how well the brake disk bits were going to fit as the gaps are very small on the kit part but i did do a quick test fit this morning with them and they do go on perfectly.

With regards to 956/962s i totally agree as this will be the forth or fifth different liveried car i have built

Shaun

• Like 1

I built the Rothmans 956 a very long time ago. Trouble was I panted it with Cellulose paints and they cracked very easily...

Eventually, it went the way of all flesh, and shuffled off this mortal coil, and went to the great plastic graveyard...

Cheers, Alan.

good progress there. just started one myself, it is to be the prototype complete with a home made short tail and alterations to the door radiator vents, plus i have modified the cockpit to remove the 'passenger seat'. it's great kit !

So as promised I have some engine bits done

The main part of the engine, it will have the spark wires added once I finish a bit more painting

20150331_133635_zpsxdz1rxyw.jpg

And the whole engine and gearbox area test fitted

20150331_133713_zpspqujdokg.jpg

More is being done as i type this so i should have a much better engine later on today

Shaun

• Like 1

Happy to be corrected but I would guess that the area of the crank case where the gearbox attaches is more likely to be silver than gold. In the 911 engine, this area incorporates some oil cooler components. The little unit that you've painted red is probably the relief valve and I think it is still with that yellowish coating whose name I can never remember. I also think the oval(ish) breather forward of the flywheel is either silver (more likely) or black. When you get to your wiring, the little bumps outboard of the intakes (ITBs) mark the position of fuel injector electrical connections. I think there are another 6 lower down(?) on the inboard sides. On a 964 engine, these are satin/matt black.

Nice build regardless. Looking forward to watching it progress.

Kirk

Thanks for the advice kirk honestly I haven't fully finished the painting as of yet so It will look massively different in a few days time

And genuinely thanks for the colours advice as i only have the below pic and a few from gurneyflap.com for reference and none seem to match up with each other for the colour schemes

956_zpsvgsanivx.jpg

Shaun

I was about to write that I have a nagging feeling I've seen some great pictures of this engine when I remembered that I have this book somewhere in my stash.

(As an aside, when I saw the "current" price on Amazon and nearly wet myself, clicking the "trade in" button faster than you could say FerdinandAlexander only to find that they're offering about 7 quid. Ho hum.)

Let me take a look and see if there is anything for the modeller. I may pm you. :)

Incidentally you can just about make out on that picture the racing type oil filter housing on the left side of the crank case adjacent to the bell housing. It is in fact slightly gold coloured in that picture but not really shaped anything like the kit part. I don't suppose it matters that much as it is buried in the engine but I'll see what references I can find for you. That engine is just such a wonderful monster that it would be a shame not to do the things that can be done with a paint brush.

Cheers,

Kirk

Edit: Here you go!! http://acmenovelties.net/cars/2009_08_15_historics/porsche_956_and_962/

Further edit: Zinc passification was the process I was thinking of that turns mild steel bits yellowy. Very off topic but here's a rather special Porsche with a few component upgrades some of which are very similar to your model.

Edited by Kirk
  • Like 1

Thanks for that link kirk there are some amazing shots there it will really help th build come along. The only problem i have now is should i cut the front end off aswell now and have some real fun a the the front

Shaun

Right so after studying a whole raft of new pics thanks to kirk i have added and changed a few bits today

In a few shots that i have seen there is a little boxed section just to the side of the cockpit So i have decided to add one in on the side i have my door open

20150401_150229_zpsy7hnwc4b.jpg

There will be another bit added to divide the compartment into 2 areas later but for now this is it

20150401_150209_zps5vpxmlaq.jpg

With doing the boxed area highlighted a bit on the kit that until now i didnt take much notice of. On the cockpit peice just behind where the fron wheel will go the vertical wall doesnt go up to meet the body section like it does on the real car so i cut, filed and glued a small bit to do the job (Admittedly it wowouldn't be a problem if I hadn't cut the door out as I would never have seen it)

20150331_215640_zpsj1k90kij.jpg

A brake has been done and after paint the p/e part was alot harder to push into place

20150401_150110_zps3uyeoism.jpg

So on to the engine again. In alot of the better reference pics i have seen that the side covers are actually a metalicish flat black so this is what i have done i just need to add alot more details then i will be happy

20150401_150031_zpswhebfeei.jpg

And last is the gearbox peice. I have added a peice that honestly i dont know what it is called but it holds parts of the suspension and a few other parts of the car, with the jobs i can see it does in reference and the manuel i want to call it a strenthening cross bar. Basically the darker bit near the front end. The little odd shaped fluid reservoir to the left was very tricky to get a good enough match for colour but i settled on the colour it is as i just couldnt be bother to keep wasting paint.

20150401_150056_zpswsyux10e.jpg

Oh and just one more little thing on the strenthening cross bar, the side facing in the picture was fine but the opposite side was hollow so this bit underwent alot of filling until it looked right

Shaun

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comment. for some reason I have lost a bit of enthusiasm for models recently, it must be something to do with all this sun we've had down south, but I will be getting back to it soon as I have a new camera so I am looking forward to see my pictures improve

Shaun