Airwaves 1/72 UH-34 detail set

Raven Morpheus

Hello

I just came across a photo etch detail set for the Italeri 1/72 UH-34 by Airwaves (available at Hannants), it has replacement grilles among other things, which would be very useful for me as I plan to replace the plastic moulded grilles on my copy of that kit.

Has anyone here used this set?

I'm wondering if it would save me time/hassle (by not having to remove as much plastic) and be easier than using the mesh I bought to replace the grilles, because it seems the photo etch just sits on top of the existing moulding (the frame part at least)?

TIA any insight is greatly appreciated.

Edited by Raven Morpheus

Hi Raven,

I have Italeri UH-34 and Eduard PE set in stash. BTW Eduard PE set has much more goodies to decorate interior of the helicopter compared to Airwaves set.

And I've also thought about replacement of plastic grilles with PE. But in my view plastic has to be removed anyway, as see-through effect is very obvious on real UH-34 because there is almost nothing except for engine shaft, cabin wall and engine cooling fan behind the grilles on the upper engine cowling. But then those interior details should be imitated... That still stops me from challenging the Seahorse. But I will take the challenge!

Honestly I would be also grateful for any advice regarding grilles imitation and use of PE for that purpose.

Kind regards,

Dennis

Edited by Dennis_C

I am mostly concerned about filling in the moulded grilles during painting. I can avoid that if I use mesh or PE.

If there's very little behind the grilles in real life that's not a problem, and scratch building the firewall is easy, the fan and shaft isn't too difficult also (if I can get some parts or appropriate styrene shapes). I could manage to make a basic representation.

Edited by Raven Morpheus

Hi Raven Morpheus,

despite being a fan of Airwaves, the set Eduard is higher as internal detail, for grids Ed. are much thinner. To apply the model, both require good experience.

In both choices the result is SUPER !!!!

Good model Linus :winkgrin:

• Like 1

The Eduard set is the better of the two. If you ever look inside a real H-34, H-19, Wessex, or Whirlwind, you will notice the large angled enclosure between the forward bulkhead and the roof. This is where the drive shaft from the engine goes up to the gear box to drive the rotors. It is very noticeable and the Airwaves set does not duplicate this at all. I was going to buy an Airwaves set to use on the Hobbyboss H-34, but bought another Eduard set because of this inexplicable omission.

Later,

Dave

ED72224 set does not include any parts to imitate enclosure walls or drive shaft. All that has to be scratchbuilt. But Eduard set provides much more parts to improve cockpit and cabin - e.g. Ed gives cabin roof, extra instrument panels etc.

Just noted that Airwaves gives parts to imitate beams beneath engine grilles... Hmmm....

ED72224 set does not include any parts to imitate enclosure walls or drive shaft. All that has to be scratchbuilt. But Eduard set provides much more parts to improve cockpit and cabin - e.g. Ed gives cabin roof, extra instrument panels etc.

Just noted that Airwaves gives parts to imitate beams beneath engine grilles... Hmmm....

The Eduard set most certainly does include the drive shaft enclosure. It is part 61 and mates with part 58, the main cabin roof, and the rear of the flight deck aft bulkhead. I have bought enough of these sets for all of the Italeri and now also Hobbyboss kits of the H-34 and it's derivatives that I have. Italeri and Hobbyboss both should have included it in the first place, but I guess somebody had to give an opening for Eduard to correct it.

Later,

Dave

Dave, I see what you mean. Yes, Eduard allows to imitate shaft enclosure in the cabin.

What I want to say is that both Ed and Airwaves sets have no details for the area between engine and forward cabin wall. And the absense of details there is very obvious if you replace plastic grilles with mesh.

Edited by Dennis_C

Dave, I see what you mean. Yes, Eduard allows to imitate shaft enclosure in the cabin.

What I want to say is that both Ed and Airwaves sets have no details for the area between engine and forward cabin wall. And the absense of details there is very obvious if you replace plastic grilles with mesh.

Very, very true. Resin recips and turbo shaft engines, depending on the version being modeled would make it worth while to go through the hassle of removing the molded detail to install the new photo etched parts that both Airwaves and Eduard supply.

Later,

Dave

Resin recips and turbo shaft engines, depending on the version being modeled would make it worth while to go through the hassle of removing the molded detail to install the new photo etched parts that both Airwaves and Eduard supply.

Same applies to Italeri's H-19 model. But in that case it would also be marvelous to get it reissued by Italeri... :waiting:

Edited by Dennis_C

I happened to take a look at the H-19 kits from Italeri that I have. Only the one that is partially built has the Eduard detail set. At least on the H-19 Italeri supplied a rudimentary representation of the drive shaft housing, but the forward part of it on the kit part is a U shaped channel and not a boxed in item as on the real thing. The Eduard detail set fills it in completely and has some added details to the housing and the rear of the aft flight deck bulkhead. My unbuilt H-19s don't have the detail set, so I shall have to check on availability.

Later,

Dave