Miracles in the Antipodes

Graeme H

Well I got off to a start on Saturday as the first supposedly official start day of this Group Build, (it would appear there was an earlier starting gun) after getting home on the Thursday from the Australian Grand Prix.

My choice was an HPM 2 Seat Mirage,

Had most of the Saturday to myself, but after the grandkids left on the Sunday morning, SWMBO decide we needed to go north to see the other grandkids, not far just a 380 km drive up the road.

Luckily I quickly managed to pack what I was working on and take with me, so sat down and did some remote modeling, now Cairns is a fairly large town, but it has no model shops anymore, the last Toyworld shop closed about October last year, so tried to take everything I could think of, but only grabbed one bottle of Superglue and one bottle of Gunze paint ( tire black).

I had done some work on the Saturday as I have said, and having not built anything for the last 2 years while I looked after my wife who is undergoing Cancer treatment, I followed the instructions, now I hear you all say "he did what....", and it would appear rightly so, as when I looked at the spine I had mounted, it was incorrectly labeled in the instructions, and it was only when I put the twin tub nose up to the rear I noticed, it was the spine for the single seater, so quickly grabbed another kit, and made a start on building the 2 seater with the correct spine, so the upshot is I'm now building 2 Mirages, one single seater, and the twin tub, no bad thing I guess .

Photos to follow when I download them

• Like 6

That's a good kit, Graeme, HPM did a great job on them, real beauties with great detail. I have a single-seater that's been in limbo for a year or so, no fault of the kit's, I just got sidetracked. Looking forward to your build!

Hi Graeme,

there can never be a glut of Mirages, no matter what some Francophobic people may tell you!

I have never seen a HPM Mirage, but I gather it is quite a good kit.

Unfortunately a tin of tyre black may not suffice... I am sorry to be the one who breaks these terrible news!

Have a lot of fun with it!

JR

Missed this one, would be great to see an Aussie Mirage.

Welcome to the GB Graeme, it's been said already, you can't have too many Mirages.

Wez

Okay have downloaded the pic I took so far

first the box of the 2 Seater

DSC01326_zpsqmuccgfd.jpg

and the single

DSC01327_zpsndrxbvj7.jpg

This is a kit that is truly modular, in that you can build the back end with worrying about the cockpit, so I did just that

this is the fuselage for the twin tub

DSC01328_zpsnitpwikf.jpg

Mirages droop the Elevons when they are powered down, and no kit ever displays this, so I score then droop the elevons only the trimmers, which are the inboard ones always stay level unless there is something wrong I am told.

DSC01331_zpspw1tzueb.jpg

Then I had to cut and bend the fairings on the underside

DSC01330_zpsk4cvmpmw.jpg

I have since done the single seater as well, and put the wings onto the twin tub fuselage, photos later

Can't believe this GB is a week old tomorrow, I need to get a move on

• Like 2

OK moving along, as I mentioned in Enzo's build the kit supplied 1300L tanks are way undersized, so I needed to fatten them up, my method was to use plastic strip all over, then fill and sand, not something I will be doing again I can tell you.

Here you can see what I have done, as I used superglue as the filler, to hurry things along, still took about 5 hrs to both though.

DSC01336_zpsprxoopk7.jpg

Need to add the much wider tailfins, so plastic card cut up and attached

DSC01340_zpsgtxugnjq.jpg

Then the kit endplates used, and the pylon attached, just need some paint to see if it all look OK

DSC01341_zpsqez6alc5.jpg

Work also continues on the single seat tub

DSC01339_zpsdbuxihof.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

OK, managed to get a little more done

Poor photo, taken outside (big mistake) shows drop tank compared to plan, maybe just a tough short, but a blind man on a galloping horse and all that

DSC01347_zpsgd95femw.jpg

Then I went looking for a specific decal I had in mind and opened a box to find this

DSC01345_zpsyt1wcqdw.jpg

Which I had completely forgotten about, honest Guv

Now I think it's more than 25% done, but will build it along with the other 2, and show some photos here, but I won't put it in the gallery assuming I get it finished.

So got a phot of all 3 and all at a similar stage

DSC01346_zpsuxesto7m.jpg

This is the ring in, snd I remember I had a devil of a job getting those rails on the outer points, as I wanted to fit a pair of sidewinders

DSC01342_zpsymutze1h.jpg

DSC01343_zpsmsdcrnzc.jpg

managed to spray the undersurface colour on the 2 seater and the ring in

DSC01349_zpssfaa52cp.jpg

The 2 seater has it's supersonic tanks fitted

so, Family portrait

DSC01350_zpsfiupdmc0.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Graeme,

great job so far!

How can you forget a half finished model?! Gee man, you must have dozens on the go at any given time!

What plans are you using?

It is interesting to note that the interior of the cockpit of the Heller 1/48 Mirage III is just as empty (and maybe more so) than your 1/72 models!!!

Impressive trio!

JR

Nice progress Graeme, and good to see that a third Mirage has joined the fray. Your effort on the tanks is impressive, but a pity that it was necessary at all. Anyway, they look just right now.

Andrew.

• 1 month later...

Well getting back into this

Hi Graeme,

great job so far!

How can you forget a half finished model?! Gee man, you must have dozens on the go at any given time!

What plans are you using?

It is interesting to note that the interior of the cockpit of the Heller 1/48 Mirage III is just as empty (and maybe more so) than your 1/72 models!!!

Impressive trio!

JR

Things are very complicated for me for the last 2 years as my wife battles cancer, the first 12 months was nightmare, eased up a bit about a year ago, but not going well at the moment, so that is the reason I forgot the half finished model, and didn't do much modeling, lived through this and a couple of other forums sitting with her in hospitals, so managed to forget quite easily.

The plans are in the rear of the Mirage IIIO book, here

http://mmpbooks.biz/shop2/product.php?productid=17670&cat=3&page=1

which is specific to RAAF Mirages only, they were drawn by Juanita Franzi who in my opinion does really impeccable work

http://aeroillustrations.com/

Got the undersides painted, and then masked the undercarriage bays

DSC01352_zpsrxhwpwtq.jpg

Then after painting those set about masking the canopies

DSC01355_zpsefx56cvv.jpg

sprayed some black around them, note I have put some Grey on one

DSC01356_zpsfrc6anmo.jpg

After masking off the undersides, I have sprayed all 3 with Model Master Enamel RAF Dark Sea Grey

DSC01357_zpsuaimsc0k.jpg

now need to let the paint dry, and fix any problems, more later

• Like 1

Nice progress Graeme, which SQNs will they belong to?

My current thinking is the 2 seater will be a 3 Sqn one from the kit decals, probably do 2 OCU from the decals that Chris gave me with it for the next one.

The single seater 79 Sqn one with the Israeli supersonic tanks and Matra R550's

I don't think there wasany carry over to them having the R530's and R550's at the same time

Thanks to Enzo Matrix's mention of resin tanks in the PJ version of the 2 seater kit, I went out snd bought one from Hannant's to see what exactly they were, and of course it gives me another 2 seater to do, which is no bad thing.

It turns out the resin tanks that Enzo thought copied the plastic ones are in fact Israeli supers with the pylon in the correct place, very subtle , but very correct, which the plastic ones in the kit don't do, and having struggled with trying to move the pylons on the kit ones, these are a much better option, It appears the Belgian Air Force also used the Israeli supers

The PJ Kit also includes photoetch for the 2 ladders, and resin MB Mk6 seats, all in all a good package

So with the third one I am still undecided, as I fitted the Sidewinder rails I was thinking it would have the R530 centreline, when I work out more on the unique pylon for that., then the Israeli supers, and Sidewinders on the outer, from memory there is a photo of a 75 Sqn one with a config like that.

The big problem with all of that of course is that I will have a pair of big jugs left over, that I spent so much time and effort on, so the only common sense answer would be to build another Mirage after I finish this lot.

Of course I am pretty flexible and open to suggestions on RAAF options.

Edited by Graeme H

• 3 weeks later...

Ok a little more done after a lot of masking, one painted, and using some of the masks on the single seater, no 2 RAAF Mirages schemes were exactly the same and in some cases very different, so modified the scheme a bit

DSC01429_zpsv1jeijvz.jpg

OK, 2 now done, and masking not good enough for the third.

DSC01430_zpsme9l5p2s.jpg

DSC01433_zpscgwnhbzk.jpg

Can't believe how long the masking is taking, but sticking with it

The 2 seater will b 3 Sqn bird and the single seater will be a 79 Sqn one both from Malaysia in the '80's

• Like 2