1/700 Light Cruiser IJN Yahagi

Background:

The Yahagi was the second of four Agano class light cruisers build for the Imperial Japanese Navy. She was laid down during November 1941 by Sabeso Naval Arsenal, and launched in the October of 1942. The main armament was six 6-inch carried in three twin turrets and the top speed was 35 knots; two float planes were carried. Yahagi was present at the battles of the Philippine Sea, Leyte Gulf, and Battle off Samar. In 1945 Yahagi was attacked by waves of Allied aircraft and sunk with the loss of 445 crewmen.

The kit:

The model is from Tamiya's 1/700 waterline series and was completed using a mixture of spare photoetch (mostly from various White Ensign Models sets), plus some minor scratch-built details. The hull was painted with Tamiya XF-53 Neutral Grey, and the deck with XF-64 Red Brown. The rigging was accomplished using Uschi rigging thread (.003mm).

A log of the build can be found in the Work in Progress section: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234975349-1700-light-cruiser-yahagi/

DSC02143.jpg

DSC02144.jpg

DSC02145.jpg

DSC02146.jpg

DSC02147.jpg

DSC02148.jpg

DSC02149.jpg

DSC02150.jpg

DSC02151.jpg

DSC02152.jpg

DSC02153.jpg

DSC02154.jpg

DSC02155.jpg

DSC02156.jpg

I had a good time building this model and look forward to doing more IJN subjects in the future; another Agano class ship but in 1/350 is on my wish-list.

Thanks for looking, and any comments or questions are most welcome.

Regards, Ross.

• Like 12

Hello Ravens,

Excellent job on this little gem.

Looks very clean constructed and painted.

I did follow your WIP on this model.

Looking forward to your next contribuion.

Regards,

Dirk

The Netherlands.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the kind words everyone.

Great job, makes mine look like a toy :weep: , you have done a fine job on the rigging and paintwork. What's next ?

Mick

Hi Mick, I was thinking about doing a Trumpeter Kirov class in the same scale - I've got a Pyotr Velikiy in the stash with a WEM set so I'm good to go with that one. However I'm taking a short break from all things super-fiddly so the next naval subject will be the Cyber-hobby 1/700 HMS Triumph that comes as part of the HMS Newcastle value set. One sprue; eleven parts, and hopefully my eyes can have a bit of a rest!

Ross.

very nice, I like especially the good looking catapult. Looks like a etched one on the first sight. This proves that good old basic techniques can beat aftermarket stuff! :)

Alex

• Like 1

Cheers Alex; the only piece I regretted not having a replacement etch part for was the crane, but it's not too noticeable in 1/700.

Ross.

Nice to see an old part of my stash in a good home and being turned into a well made model.

You've done really well with the kits parts and generic random etch parts, plus extra details you've added yourself. The only thing I can pick fault with is the white on the gun barrels. IJN Ships never had any part of the barrels painted white, they should be whatever Grey the ship is painted in. What was white pre-war was the blast bags but these changed to a sort of off white colour, perhaps beige in wartime. If you wanted to add blast bags, a little putty would work, it's not too late if you wanted to add them.

I think if you were able to get proper etch sets for specific ships, you could enter and win competitions at regional model shows. If you need to know anything, just let me know, I might be able to suggest relevant etch sets etch. One of my IJN ships, the battleship Hyuga was been well placed in some competitions - I modelled her after she had no 5 turret removed and barbette plated over and extra light AA added as a temp measure. I really need to resurrect it sometime!

Anyway, well done, I really like it, hurry up and get more done!

thanks

Mike

• Like 1

Nice to see an old part of my stash in a good home and being turned into a well made model.

You've done really well with the kits parts and generic random etch parts, plus extra details you've added yourself. The only thing I can pick fault with is the white on the gun barrels. IJN Ships never had any part of the barrels painted white, they should be whatever Grey the ship is painted in. What was white pre-war was the blast bags but these changed to a sort of off white colour, perhaps beige in wartime. If you wanted to add blast bags, a little putty would work, it's not too late if you wanted to add them.

I think if you were able to get proper etch sets for specific ships, you could enter and win competitions at regional model shows. If you need to know anything, just let me know, I might be able to suggest relevant etch sets etch. One of my IJN ships, the battleship Hyuga was been well placed in some competitions - I modelled her after she had no 5 turret removed and barbette plated over and extra light AA added as a temp measure. I really need to resurrect it sometime!

Anyway, well done, I really like it, hurry up and get more done!

thanks

Mike

Ah, that's interesting with regards to the guns - I just followed the Tamiya instructions and failed to spot that during research. I think I'll make a check list for future builds so there's less chance of me missing such things.

Thank you for the advice during the build, and hopefully it wont be too long before I do another IJN model - they're nice ships.

Regards, Ross.

Ross, you will have a great time with the Kirov class, lots of detail and tiny parts lol. look forward to watching.

Mick

I've heard that Soviet era ships are popular with modellers for this very reason - sounds like I could be in for an interesting build with the Pyotr Velikiy.

Ross.

Ross, Soviet ships are the ones that got me back into model ships after a 25 year break, these are old and before I started trying to use photo-etch.

IMG_0488_zpsfysqvzl2.jpg

Mick

A nice line-up. The Slava class always catches my eye with those ranks of missile tubes.