Bandai 48th scale AT-ST (alt camo scheme)

Here's a few quick shots before I embark on the additional sensors and mini cameras.....................

IMG_20171106_211152.jpg

IMG_20171106_211521.jpg

IMG_20171106_211553.jpg

IMG_20171106_212210.jpg

IMG_20171106_212553.jpg

IMG_20171106_213015.jpg

IMG_20171106_213028.jpg

Cheers

Richard.

• Like 8

The extras look just right for a Star Wars machine, based on real life.

What was the sniffer device before it joined the Imperial Navy? Looks familiar. 

Great stuff. :worthy:

Geoff

• Thanks 1

This is absolutely incredible. You are a very skilled person and I am extremely jealous. I have one questions though, is there a reason all of the weapons and redish coloured parts have no weathering or chipping? I noticed the small prod things at the front (apologies for my ignorance not knowing what these are) jut out and the edges would be right in the firing line for sand/dust abrasion, as well as being the first things taht would get knocked, or scratched when squeezing between rocks, or trees etc. I guess they could have only just been bolted onto the frame as a later update, but I would imagin if they were doing that, and all the wiring that would go with it, they'd get the prior battle damage touched up at the same time? Just my 2 cents.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bugle07 said:

The extras look just right for a Star Wars machine, based on real life.

What was the sniffer device before it joined the Imperial Navy? Looks familiar. 

Great stuff. :worthy:

Geoff

Thanks Geoff. The Sniffer unit was found in a vitamin jar, I think the contents are meant to keep the vitamins dry? Anyway as soon as I saw it I thought to myself - "That has Science Fiction modelling potential!"

I didn't know at the time what I was going to use it on, and have since collected several, but just knew the day would come! Contemplating the mods that were going to go on the AT-ST to bring it up to AT-STP (Pathfinder) standard I just simply started mucking about with options and came up with what you see.

Sniffer_mast_construction.jpg

Richard.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, James B said:

This is absolutely incredible. You are a very skilled person and I am extremely jealous. I have one questions though, is there a reason all of the weapons and redish coloured parts have no weathering or chipping? I noticed the small prod things at the front (apologies for my ignorance not knowing what these are) jut out and the edges would be right in the firing line for sand/dust abrasion, as well as being the first things taht would get knocked, or scratched when squeezing between rocks, or trees etc. I guess they could have only just been bolted onto the frame as a later update, but I would imagin if they were doing that, and all the wiring that would go with it, they'd get the prior battle damage touched up at the same time? Just my 2 cents.

Thanks James. The redish coloured parts are primered parts that had no time to be painted properly because of the urgent need to get this highly modified AT-ST out into the field to assist other reconnaissance units in the detection of Sand People insurgent forces that were hindering the Empire's control on Tatooine (post Episode IV time period). Hence they are newer parts attached to an already weather beaten machine. That is why some of the AT-STP (Pathfinder) is mostly weathered and other parts, Imperial Grey and red primer are newer.

I'm following the "real world" examples of what American and allied forces have had to do to counter insurgent forces in Afghanistan and Iraq over the last 16 years as an example of what sorts of ad hoc modifications the Empire has had to come up with under similar circumstances on Tatooine against continuing Sand People resistance.

The prod things are IED detector whiskers. (35th scale US military aerial mounts) These whiskers are used to detect microscopic movement in sand and dirt, plus changes in moister at ground level. They are positioned where they are so as to get maximum clearance from the main body. Plus it was the only real place the two Imperial Engineers, unlucky enough to find themselves garrisoned on Tatooine, could find that would fit with everything else that would have to be externally mounted on an already busy frame. No wiring necessary for these units as they are internally powered and transfer data electronically.

The role of the AT-STP (Pathfinder) is to sit further back on the battlefield and use its sophisticated electronic equipment to detect a whole host of environmental changes to the natural environment. Moister, carbon dioxide, movement, electronic emissions, changes in temperature, sound and many other things. It still retains its ability to fight it out should that be necessary too.

Cheers

Richard.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Here’s the legs. Nearly finished. Just have to add some more sensors around the main head, add sand/dust to the right leg and think about how the crew figures are going to look.

P1020937.jpg

P1020948.jpg

P1020949.jpg

P1020952.jpg

P1020961.jpg

P1020964.jpg

P1020965.jpg

P1020969.jpg

Edited by Gekko_1
  • Like 16

• 3 months later...

Finally updated all the broken links, thanks to Photobucket! 🖕

The model is off to competition this weekend. Because of that, I've decided not to bother about the additional sensors or crew, I'm calling this one done. Just have to finish the base.

The base.

20181009_1510271.jpg

20181009_154840.jpg

20181009_182134.jpg

20181009_184250.jpg

20181009_184304.jpg

20181009_190507.jpg

20181010_154943.jpg

The base/display case is Trumpeter item no. 09807 which fits the AT-ST perfectly. Even with the additional sensors, I have about 2mm to spare!

20181010_155216.jpg

I'll take some proper studio photos after the comp.

Richard.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Hunter Rose said:

Nice! Looks very cool in the case!

I recently had to repair LOTS of links in topics, every sympathy for you  Gekko, it is indeed tedious!!

Cheers!

Yes, tedious indeed!

• 4 years later...

Hi guys, I've entered this model into the 2023 Bandai Star Wars Competition at Hobbyco in Australia. If you could be so kind as to vote for me on their Hobbyco Facebook page I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you. Here's the link:

https://www.facebook.com/Hobbyco.Sydney/posts/pfbid02prnsUk58E6ZgshLX8CMjK4MsohNQNsUaQBi1oVsWFJgy4Yc7M31zYdTQfkTDF2tl

42285387654267b4846d9d2bdb5f1e04.jpg

a9f2d05e6a5859ef3d8c0515ccb5bce6.jpg

681406eea99e39807c510208a6ef0549.jpg

14e3bb1ea8f40c45bc303239783e511f.jpg

a23dd605793e01db7617fe1f9972d07c.jpg

df2e641dbe1273230fc1aed23baafa6c.jpg

Cheers

Richard.

Edited by Gekko_1
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Have just cast my vote.