Bandai 48th scale AT-ST (alt camo scheme)

OK, decals sealed in. Pin wash done. Now on to the chipping to the base layer................................

head_base_chip_1.jpg

head_base_chip_2.jpg

head_base_chip_3.jpg

Some of it may look over done at this point? Not sure. Still have to do the top and back.......................

Edited by Gekko_1
  • Like 5

looking absolutely amazing and totally realistic - shame these have not been produced as real war machines for the 21st century modern forces - we must be fairly close to being able to produce mechanical technology that can walk into war ..

• Like 1

It's looking more and more realistic all the time! Great stuff.

Don't think it's over done at all, and any final weathering or washes will blend them in and tone it down some.

Can't wait for more!

• Like 1

Thanks guys. OK, chipping now done on the top and back.
20170724_041715-1.jpg

20170724_041802-1.jpg

And underneath too, although I guess nobody will ever see it.
20170724_041820-1.jpg

Plus the other bits...................

20170724_041635-1.jpg

And here's where we're at with it all together.

1500836442845.jpg

Edited by Gekko_1
  • Like 7

Awesome looking work, its a shame that the earlier photos are missing - I look forward to them being reinstated. I also can't see the photos in the last couple of posts.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

Awesome looking work, its a shame that the earlier photos are missing - I look forward to them being reinstated. I also can't see the photos in the last couple of posts.

Thanks Nigel. Can you see all the posts of this page. Page 4?

OK, so on to the darker chips now. I've started on the roof area. Paint is Ammo Mig A.MIG-044 Chipping color. Basically I'm filling in the sand coloured chips with the darker brown to show areas where the paint has been chipped off down to the base coat. Later-on some of these will receive slight rust streaks too. But lots of layers to go yet. This is a very slow process, but should pay off in the end.

1501197894641.jpg

1501198018760.jpg

1501198104239.jpg

1501198178744.jpg

1501198228049.jpg

• Like 5

It's looking really battered now,  like it a lot!

Battered chicken? Now I'm hungry as well as enjoying your progress!

Geoff 

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've taken a break from the chipping for a while and moved on to finishing the weapons fit. I wanted to represent an AT-ST that has seen some action and has had its weapons stations re-fitted after battle damage. So we have a mixture of red primered parts and standard Imperial Grey parts. I thought it would add an extra bit of interest to the final look.

1502611194027.jpg

1502611339920.jpg

1502611445267.jpg

1502611561718.jpg

1502611736355.jpg

1502611855283.jpg

1502611959834.jpg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Bugle07 said:

Looking good! Any thoughts on putting some camo netting over the weapons? Break up the profile a bit? 

Gets coat and runs away fast! :coat:

Great Scott man! Are you mad! Cover-up all that pain staking work! :winkgrin:

No, I think I've already pushed the "Star Wars fan/Cannon worshippers" far enough as it is with putting a camouflage scheme on it. Netting would send them flying off the cliff like Lemmings!

• Like 1

OK, so I managed to get the chipping of the starboard side finished, then moved on to experimenting with water colour pencils for some weathering. Keeping in mind that those excellent enamel based products we have to choose from these days are NO GOOD for these Bandai Star Wars and Gundam kits I'm always looking for kinder/gentler alternatives.

P1010956.jpg

I know the photo isn't the best, but its the closest I could get to these rust streaks that I'm pretty damn happy with. :wub:
P1010959.jpg

I was able to get pretty good control with the water colour pencils and am very happy with the end result.

P1010962.jpg

P1010965.jpg

P1010968.jpg

Blast effects were enhanced with black pastel.

P1010971.jpg

This port side is getting pretty close to the final look I'm after.

P1010974.jpg

P1010977.jpg

P1010983.jpg

P1010986.jpg

If nothing else, at least I hope that this build has shown that quite good effects can be achieved using water based products that won't harm the Bandai plastic.

P1010989.jpg

And maybe, just maybe, I've opened some of you up to the possibilities of non-cannon (grey only) Imperial vehicles? :wicked:

Oh and I've re-done the pivot point thingy, only this time I remembered to seal it with semi gloss varnish!:)

P1010992.jpg

Sorry about my photos, I know they're not the greatest. I've got one of those mini photo booth things coming from Asia and I'll be getting some close-up filters for my camera, so hopefully that should improve things in the future.

Anyway.......... onward............:hobbyhorse:

Edited by Gekko_1
  • Like 6

Like the water colour pencil effect,  are you building up the colour in one area and the drawing it down with a wet brush or some other method?

Whatever your doing its looking just right, and just as good as enamel paints!

Edited by Bugle07
Spelling

1 hour ago, Bugle07 said:

Like the water colour pencil effect,  are you building up the colour in one area and the drawing it down with a wet brush or some other method?

I'm experimenting with three methods at the moment.

1. Wetting the pencil on a damp glass pallet (underside of an old Gunze Sangyo bottle of white) then applying it to the model with a fine brush. Then dragging it down (wet) with the same brush with no media on it.

2. Applying the wetted pencil directly on the surface of the model, then moving the water colour paint around with a wet brush.

3. Applying wet water colour media to the model surface then drawing it down with a dry brush.

I'm also using non-water colour Prismacolor pencils and managing to streak them a little with a damp brush. By doing this with little pressure on the pencil I'm able to get good effects with them too. Less is more with this method though.

Also I'm using acrylic satin varnish (airbrushed) to seal in the layers. Two layers down in these pics.

Its all about layers. That's what Mig Jimenez says all the time and he's right! Just like the old master oil painters, the secrets in the layers!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...