Bandai 48th scale AT-ST (alt camo scheme)

Well, after watching Andy's build with great interest, my kit finally made it to the bottom of the world! (Adelaide, South Australia).

What I wasn't prepared for however was just how good a kit this one really is! I must say, hats off to the engineering department at Bandai for I have never built a model quite like this one, and I've been modelling for 41 years. The quality of plastic is first rate. Not too soft, not too hard. Very easy to work with. The parts breakdown is VERY cleaver and fits together without glue very well.

I'm one of those fussy modellers that has to have everything perfect (which is probably why I finish so few models) :wall: So I was very surprised at just how quickly I was getting the parts off the sprues, cleaned up and ready.

Here's where I was at after an hour and a half. All parts were lightly glued with Tamiya extra thin cement.

20150325_180317.jpg

Building this kit is so hassle free that I keep thinking I'm doing something wrong! :blink2:

About three hours into the build I'd gotten the head all off the sprues, cleaned up and dry fitted/pushed together.

20150325_190907.jpg

Next it was time to pull the head apart and tackle those seats. First, remove the locating slots for the pilots......

20150325_192040.jpg

Then clean up the area..............

20150325_192444.jpg

And make some seat cushions from plastic card. Job done in about 15 minutes.

20150325_195915.jpg

The only issue I've come across so far is a very slight gap at the front of the head.

20150325_190800.jpg

So here is where I'm at three and a half hours into the build.

5be2b2ef-2034-4227-bba0-f99835127c39.jpg

I'm very impressed with how things are going. For anybody who is suffering from, or has suffered from AMS (advanced modellers syndrome) this is the model for you! Next it is time to prime and paint the cockpit and mid section and try and decide on a camouflage scheme for it. At the moment I have 20 different schemes drawn up with more on the way! :wacko:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234978670-star-wars-at-st-camouflage-schemes/

Cheers

Richard.

Edited by Gekko_1
fixing photobucket broken links
  • Like 4

Great start Richard. I had the same issue with the roof plate. I shaved the insides of the locating holes which made it fit a bit better but there's still a bit of a step on mine.

It's remarkable how quickly it falls together isn't it.

Andy

• Like 1

Great start Richard. I had the same issue with the roof plate. I shaved the insides of the locating holes which made it fit a bit better but there's still a bit of a step on mine.

It's remarkable how quickly it falls together isn't it.

Andy

Yeah I'm really impressed with it. The diorama potential for these is epic. I just hope that in time Bandai bring out the AT-AT, AT-TE and AT-DP. That would be crazy diorama time!

• Like 1

Sprayed some Vallejo grey primer, slightly darked with black, onto the mid section and cockpit internals today.

20150326_184637.jpg

This is where I'm at after another 3 hours of work.

20150326_203443.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow I'll get some time to start painting the cockpit.

Cheers

Richard.

Edited by Gekko_1
  • Like 2

Small update.

20150330_183810.jpg

Painting, detailing and weathering of the cockpit has begun. Base coat for the mid section done.

Cheers

Richard.

• Like 2

That's really starting to come together now. The chipping looks great, particularly on the underside dome, wish I'd added a bit more on mine now

Andy

Thanks Andy,

this is the first time I've had a good opportunity to use all of Mig Jimenez's techniques. Having watched his instructional DVD's many times I've been keen to apply them to a science fiction subject. Having a lot of fun with this one!

Cheers

Richard.

Oh my....this is looking really good, sincerly, I wouldn´t agree on a camo scheme for this model, but your paint job is pretty nice. I will follow this thread closely.

Did you used a fine tip brush or a sponge to do the paint chipping?

Edited by brolyss4

Oh my....this is looking really good, sincerly, I wouldn´t agree on a camo scheme for this model, but your paint job is pretty nice. I will follow this thread closely.

Did you used a fine tip brush or a sponge to do the paint chipping?

Yes, mainly a fine tip brush and maybe 5% with a sponge.

OK guys, here's the mid section finished. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. The operational environment that I see this AT-ST operating in amongst the wadis of the Judland Wastes fighting a Tusken Raider insurrection. So terrain like this..................

35512418.jpg

20150408_165205.jpg

20150408_165153.jpg

20150408_165217.jpg

20150408_165245.jpg

20150408_165254.jpg

20150408_165308.jpg

20150408_165317.jpg

Next, its on to the legs!

Cheers

Richard.

Edited by Gekko_1
  • Like 8

That is incredible good work going on there - superb and very eye-catching interior along with wonderful exterior paintwork - you obviously have done this before

I've been modelling for a very long time, but this is the first time I've actually put all these sorts of detailed painting and weathering techniques together into a model like this. Watching an instructional DVD on the subject of weathering is one thing. It can become quite daunting to then actually apply it to a model yourself. But I think I'm doing OK and things are progressing well.

Cheers

Richard.

• 2 weeks later...

The legs.

Quick undercoat of Alclad Black primer.

20150416_171902.jpg

Here's the legs with the sand and caramel colours applied.

20150423_173016.jpg

20150423_173034.jpg

And a test fit with the mid section................

20150423_172817.jpg

20150423_172828.jpg

20150423_172837.jpg

Next, on to the dark brown................... then the fun part..................... weathering! B)

• Like 7