Short Singapore III questions

Ray S

Hello all. I have had a bit of a rush of blood to the head, and have decided to have a crack at the Contrail Short Singapore III flying boat vacform for a group build later in the year on good old BM (Non-Injection Group build).

These beasties are quite basic as a kit, and I am a bit stuck. I am not sure about the font and size of the serial numbers near the tail, and am thinking of trying to print my own transfers (everyone gives the impression that it is easy). So, the question is, is the font in Microsoft Office 2007, or any suggestions on a particular sheet to get a decent selection of individual letters and numbers from?

I would like do do a camouflage version rather than a silver finish that was much more common, as I suspect the surface may well not be smooth enough for silver. Any ideas on good reference material for the colour scheme?

I have been able to get some white metal exhausts and props from JohnAero (thanks for them and for the plans too).

I hope you can help, otherwise it might have to be the Joystick Avro Bison!

All the best, Ray

Hello all. I have had a bit of a rush of blood to the head, and have decided to have a crack at the Contrail Short Singapore III flying boat vacform for a group build later in the year on good old BM (Non-Injection Group build).

These beasties are quite basic as a kit, and I am a bit stuck. I am not sure about the font and size of the serial numbers near the tail, and am thinking of trying to print my own transfers (everyone gives the impression that it is easy). So, the question is, is the font in Microsoft Office 2007, or any suggestions on a particular sheet to get a decent selection of individual letters and numbers from?

I would like do do a camouflage version rather than a silver finish that was much more common, as I suspect the surface may well not be smooth enough for silver. Any ideas on good reference material for the colour scheme?

I have been able to get some white metal exhausts and props from JohnAero (thanks for them and for the plans too).

I hope you can help, otherwise it might have to be the Joystick Avro Bison!

All the best, Ray

There was no standard RAF font at that time, postwar was the first standard design IIRC,so you would have to do your own.

Selwyn

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Patrik, Thanks for that link. I had downloaded that the other day, but I am having trouble printing it out (the print has a section of the lower right half of the page transposed to the upper left. Then I found that there was a paperback version...).

Thanks again all for the replies, work is now in progress for sanding out and prepping, but I cannot start building until May so it still gives me time to get this sorted.

All the best, Ray