Two Lane Blacktop '55 Chev

TLB_55_project_Feb_2_2015.jpg

TLB_55_wip_Mar_12_2015.jpg

TLB_55_wip_Mar_24_2015.jpg

Aside from planes I do the odd car models. I like cult movies and Two Lane Blacktop is one on my faves. I will be building the two '55 Chevys and the '70 GTO used on the movie. One of the '55's is the camera car and one the show car. the actual camera car was restored and recently sold on Barret-Jackson for $145 000. This car was also the one painted black in American Graffitti. It found it's way to New Brunswick before being brought back to the U.S. for restoration. The show car was restored at some point to a show car but haven't seen a picture of it. C:\Users\Patrick\Desktop\TWO-LANE BLACKTOP _ UNDER THE HOOD OF THE EPIC 1971 ROAD FLICK _ The Selvedge Yard.htm here's one site featuring the cars.

The model.

This one is the Polar Lights kit about 1/32, meant to be a bit cartoony. The first photo is the stock kit. The second shows the enlarged wheel openings and widening of the diff. I also trimmed a bit off the tire width since the car is not supposed to be tubbed. I shaved all the side trim off, filled some holes and made a new grill from window screen. The grey paint is Tamiya AS-10 ocean grey with Vallejo light grey and white washes. The Camaro in the backround was the testbed for the painting. I also made rear bumper guards and took the center out of a 1/25 Chevy trunk emblem. Luckily the wheels are stock kit. I'll have better finished photos soon.

Edited by busnproplinerfan
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Valourcon_2015_40.jpg

Valourcon_2015_14.jpg

Here's the finished car. I didn't like th eblob that was the original base it sat on so I made a new one from sheet plastic. I just did it up quick. Painted the sides white and did the road surface with a few different greys and black that I had spray cans of, most I held a couple feet away and just tapped the nozzle, changing colours each time. The tyre smoke was a cotton ball. I stretched out a bit, smeared some super glue on the tread with my finger and stuck it on. Make sure to pre-make the cotton first so it's ready to go since the glue dries fast on cotton. The pictures displayed with it I found on a TLB forum. It was in a recent model display/contest but didn't place at all.

Nice work, Sir. One of my favourite movies too; beats Easy Rider to a mush as existential critique. Will look forward to your take on Warren Oates' GTO: "...well, here we are on the road."

Edited by AngstROM

Nice work, Sir. One of my favourite movies too; beats Easy Rider to a mush as existential critique. Will look forward to your take on Warren Oates' GTO: "...well, here we are on the road."

I have the decals for the GTO, already, still waiting for the corrected body from Reliable Resins. I will make the two proper movie '55s as well(camera car and show car). I have to see Easy Rider again, been years since I seen it. Something about the cheesyness of the old movie just made them so much more realistic. Nothing today come close.