Germanwings A320 Crash in the French Alps

I don't understand, it seemed to go down quickly but airspeed remained fairly constant, around 450knots basically until impact. Very sad, thoughts with the families and hope for survivors.

Sad day for the people here in Germany and also for the other involved countries. No survivors (official statement) On board were also a school class from Haltern am See ( 40km away south of Münster) with 16 schoolmates and 2 teacher. It was said, that the plane were only one minute in the normal flight level and then turned 8 minutes into a rapid descent till impact.

http://www.focus.de/panorama/videos/absturz-von-germanwings-flug-4u9525-nichts-als-truemmer-und-koerper-das-sind-die-ersten-bilder-von-der-ungluecksstelle_id_4567299.html

RIP

The flight radar track apparently shows it way off course.

I hope you are misinterpreting the information shown on the map (straight line vs actual track).

It's best to avoid such speculation based on media graphics and simplified reporting until real information is available.

Edited by Brokenedge
  • Like 1

I hope you are misinterpreting the information shown on the map (straight line vs actual track).

It's best to avoid such speculation based on media graphics and simplified reporting until real information is available.

Indeed, looking at the flight data from the previous days flight on flightradar.com, todays flight was taking exactly the same route.

Totally agree…….I often travel the Iberian route back to Amsterdam/Brussels and regularly route close to or over the western edge of the Alps so this is nothing unusual (as yet)…..bit alarmed by the reports of a rapid descent so soon after reaching cruising altitude although it does seem to have taken a long time to get to that level too ?…..as you say, all speculation at this stage and, as always, we will have to wait until the results of the black box analysis are reported.

...indeed...

Edited by FalkeEins

They've just had a former BA pilot on bbc news saying he believed the rate of descent was controlled and probably synonymous with depressurisation and the need to reach the 10,000 ft or less level, and he wasn't impressed with the early reports of the plane "dropping like a stone". Let's hope they find the second box soon and can put to rest all the inevitable questions

They've just had a former BA pilot on bbc news saying he believed the rate of descent was controlled and probably synonymous with depressurisation and the need to reach the 10,000 ft or less level, and he wasn't impressed with the early reports of the plane "dropping like a stone". Let's hope they find the second box soon and can put to rest all the inevitable questions

Exactly.

_81878172_france_a320_aircrash_gra624.pn

Looks like a controlled rapid descent. Look at the speed (Actually just noticed it's radar GROUNDSPEED not airspeed! Doesn't really tell us much if the flight path was generally down rather than ahead. But the descent rate is fairly constant, which suggests it was in control at the beginning of the manoeuvre at least). - Hoping the CVR will yield some clues.

Edited by Brokenedge

Nightmare, I always hate it when they show the faces of relatives waiting at the airport, I think they should be left alone and not bothered by cameras. Similarly images of bodies and even personal belongings should not be shown. I am just thinking of the relatives, every time something bad happens the press turn up to make money from it.

Edited by old thumper
  • Like 13

Nightmare, I always hate it when they show the faces of relatives waiting at the airport, I think they should be left alone and not bothered by cameras. Similarly images of bodies and even personal belongings should not be should. I am just thinking of the relatives, every time something bad happens the press turn up to make money from it.

Yes, agree 100%, it's hugely disrespectful imo.

• Like 1