Glue or solder?

Head in the clouds.

I am looking to build the Occidental 1.48th Spitfire IXc which I have an Eduard etch set to improve it. I have never used PE before so is it best to solder the parts that are formed to shape with a micro gas torch/solder or to use glue, what are the merits of both methods ?

Also, I believe there is a shape issue with the nose, where may I find correction parts for this ?

Thanks for any help offered.

Gary.

hi Gary,

I always solder photo-etch when I can, but a lot of the time, especially with really fine stuff it's very tricky and I use Gator glue, (other white PVAs are of course available). Now and again I use CA, but not very often.

I tend to use a soldering iron most of the time, the gas torch doesn't get used that often, mostly on large items, usually armour.

I would say one of the most important things when soldering is having a decent flux and solder - look on YouTube, especially at the stuff the railway modellers do for some guidance - and good luck with it

• Like 1

Solder for me!

It takes a long time to really get to grips with it, but well worth the effort.

It opens up the world to etched brass, nickel silver and white metal kits too.

Staple diet of the railway modeller world. They've been doing it for decades, so look on youtube for that sort of stuff.

Rick.

Depends how fine and intricate the PE is. Superglue if it is, solder if it isn't. when soldering, I use solder paste applied with a cocktail stick. Then just apply the heat as normal with the soldering iron. This results in a nice neat soldered joint.

Hth

Tom.

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the thread hijack, can anyone shed any light on whether the Iroda Solderpro 70 is a rebranded version of the Nimrod Solderpro 70 or whether it is a Far Eastern copy:

Exhibit 1:

41yqUmZZDlL._SX300_.jpg

Exhibit 2:

Pro-70K-1.jpg

I've already seen good reports about the Nimrod version but any objective reports on the Iroda version would be appreciated.

Edited by Richard E