Academy 1/72 Boeing B-29 Washington

b29wf442rafrm9_zps800s6k7d.jpg

Been trying to decide what to do next and settled on the Washington. The plan so far is to drop the flaps so some sratch building will be necessary to get them looking about right. I'll be using the Eduard etch set and also need to source some resin wheels as these have ruddy great ejector pin marks in the nose tires. Out of interest, are these the same as P-51 main wheels that might be easier to source? Look very similar if not. Not sure what aircraft I'll be doing, so any inspiration before I get to that stage will help. Decals are like rocking horse poo, although I spoke to a chap who was planning to do some at Telford, but can't remember who it was!

1_zpsmqdznwcj.jpg

Already started on the etch, adding the replacement gills. A fiddly job, but look much better for it although the photo doesn't do it justice:

2_zps8t3g7zyv.jpg

• Like 14

Woody, you know my secret heart. Always wanted to build one of these in RAF markings. I too am hopeful for the appropriate decals.

Build on, you strong bronzed god!

• Like 2

Excellent choice of subject, one I have considered myself so I will be watching with interest.

Regarding the decals, or lack there of, is it not possible to cobble something together from generic sheets with roundels, fin flashes and numbers on?

Craig.

Quite possibly, there isn't much on there. I've probably got the roundels, but would need some black lettering, it's the only colour I've not accumulated!

Woody, you know my secret heart. Always wanted to build one of these in RAF markings. I too am hopeful for the appropriate decals.

Build on, you strong bronzed god!

Bronzed god? Don't think the missus sees me that way :lol:

• Like 1

When I was researching my 1-32nd project, I found that the nose wheels are the same as P-38 mains, so that may be an option for you to replace the kit nose wheels.

The B-29 currently being restored to flight at Boeing is using P-38 tyres for the nose wheels and they are interchangeable.

Will look forward to this project. I seem to recall Xtradecal doing a Washington sheet for an aircraft with black undersides. I have the 1/48th version and I'm pretty sure it was done in 1/72nd too. Is likely OOP currently though.

Tom

• Like 2

A perfect companion to your Lincoln. If it helps True Details and Radial Engines and Wheels both produce resin wheels for the B-29 in both early and late styles - these are both available from Hannants.

Will look forward to this project. I seem to recall Xtradecal doing a Washington sheet for an aircraft with black undersides. I have the 1/48th version and I'm pretty sure it was done in 1/72nd too. Is likely OOP currently though.

I think the Xtradecal sheet Tom may be referring to is X032-72 which contains markings for the VB-29, KP-29B and WB-50D; would Modeldecal's generic markings provide the right size and font of lettering?

Edited by Richard E

I seem to recall Xtradecal doing a Washington sheet for an aircraft with black undersides. I have the 1/48th version and I'm pretty sure it was done in 1/72nd too. Is likely OOP currently though.

Tom

Tom, You may be thinking of Kits at War, they did a 15 squadron Washington on their first sheet. Nothing complicated, just roundels, fin flash and codes/serial. Not easy to come by now, but pretty straightforward to cobble together. Black codes could be done on clear decal film with a printer. Paragon did a set of deployed flaps for the Academy B29, but again not easy to come by.

I'll have to have a look at the Model Decal letters. I've got the white ones and a sheet of generic roundels for the period. Fortunately, these things didn't tend to have nose art, so things are much simpler than the Lincoln....unless someone would like to prove me wrong and up the challenge!!!!

I've been thinking about the flaps and got somewhat of an idea as well as a few good pictures from the one currently being restored to flying condition. Fortunately, the way the kit flaps are designed, my idea is simplified. I'm working on the wings first as that's where all the improvements are focussed, the fuselage is pretty much OOB.

Good news about the P-38 wheels, thanks for that Tom, I'll go down that route for replacements :)

Great choice of subject! The trailing edge inserts are probably the biggest foible with the model. If everything is lined up perfectly with the lower flap inserts, the cutouts for the main gear wheel wells are just a little too far outboard and you can see daylight between the wheel well cut out and the exterior of the inboard nacelles. So watch out.

Wish the kit had better engines, but robbing some from an Airfix B-29 might be a good idea. Also the rudder hinges on the vertical fin need to be built up from plastic sheet to a more 3-D effect. Still, its the better of the 2 B-29 kits.

Looking forward to it!!

david

(Built a B-50, got a B-29 to the painting stage before i gifted it, and have another B-29 largely completed, in the box)

Edited by David H

Tom, You may be thinking of Kits at War, they did a 15 squadron Washington on their first sheet. Nothing complicated, just roundels, fin flash and codes/serial. Not easy to come by now, but pretty straightforward to cobble together. Black codes could be done on clear decal film with a printer. Paragon did a set of deployed flaps for the Academy B29, but again not easy to come by.

Just about the only items you can use from that Kits at War sheet, are the black codes and serial. The blue colour used for the roundels and fin flash is way too dark, almost black.

Just about the only items you can use from that Kits at War sheet, are the black codes and serial. The blue colour used for the roundels and fin flash is way too dark, almost black.

I have a Decal sheet with a washington on it Not sure if its the kits at war sheet, I am at work and can't check. I remember that the sheet had the washington markings and mainly B2 Canberra schemes on it does this ring a bell?

Selwyn

I have the same kit which I also plan to build as a Washington and have with the Airwaves & Eduard PE, Squadron Vac canopies and True Detail Early wheels but have managed to obtain a set of Kits at War decals (K7/1) which includes markings for WF497.

Will be watching your build with interest :bye:

Nice one Neil

From memory there are several versions of schemes and markings, not bad for an a/c that was in service for such a short time

A shiny Queens coronation flight (?) one

A silver one with RAF Markings and US serial on the tail

A silver one with black undersides.

A silver one with roundles, fin flash and small serial only

A silver one with squadron codes and a/c letter.

A silver one with squadron codes and a/c letter on the fin

A silver one with large serial numbers on the fin and small serial on the fuselage

Some had a squadron badge

There are several with coloured nose wheel doors, the red ones in two styles, all red or with a white vertical stripe

And don't forget to delete the 20mm cannon from the tail, Richard and myself met a former Washington gunner who said they never flew with them fitted. In fact he also said they never flew with the gunner in the tail position IIRC.

If I go to Elsecar model meet next week I'll speak to the guy with the new decal sheet and see when it will be available.

By the way, I've done the one with the red doors and white strip.

Regards

Paul

Edited by Honeybee
  • Like 1

Woody,

I have had a look at my decal stash and it is the kits at war sheet I have, showing Washington B1 15 Sqn RAF. In fact I have got one and a half sheets so I have the Washington Decals twice. If you want one of them let me know and they are yours!

Selwyn

• Like 1