Eastern Express L1011-500 (1/144)

Hi,

I too am dying to know, their latest releases were quite highly rated, I hope they can deliver the same overall experience with this fine Palmdale product. Seems they intend to produce the whole Tristar range... time to sell my Otaki kits.

Hi,

I too am dying to know, their latest releases were quite highly rated, I hope they can deliver the same overall experience with this fine Palmdale product. Seems they intend to produce the whole Tristar range... time to sell my Otaki kits.

I'd take one off you for a decent price PMG :please:

Good news that a new kit of the Tristar is coming on stream long overdue IMHO

Hi - I saw in SAM Magazine that there is a Pan-AM Dash 500 due and also a RAF version - I will just buy the first I can get as I will be intending to add a touch of the West Indies Bewee (BWIA) Steelpan to mine - the last time I flew on an L1011 was on one of theirs back into LHR from Antigua - what a classic old lady she was...(and a tad tatty inside but I was more than happy to overlook that part)

3a5547f7-5665-47c1-9eb5-a1a4afa7fa6e_zps

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Can't provide any info/update, but I've just realised what that is on the tail of the bewee Tristar - it's a steel drum (as Gimme Shelter said). I always thought it was some kind of turtle like design...

You live and learn :)

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Hey Guys, yes I'm new to the forum so this is my first post, I will intro and post a picture soon but I wanted to comment on the Eastern Express L-1011 kit..

I just received mine from HobbyTerra and compared it to my Otaki kit of the L-1011 and other than the fuselage being in two pieces it is the same kit. All the panel lines are the same except for one at the bottom of the left side front door. The kit breakdown is the same with the little shelf that goes into the top intake (ie no ducting) and the windshield glass but no cockpit interior. There are no side windows so decals are a must (my prefference in 1/144) If you hold the fuselage to the light looking at the front to the back you will see a faint outline of the windows so it looks like they glued them in when they mastered the mold from the original OTAKI kit. The panel lines are not as trenchy as the original OTAKI kit but in a few areas they go faint but nothing any modeller can't rescribe.

All in all I like the kit and I only paid 1/3 of what I paid for the OTAKI kit a couple of years ago. The Welsh models kit may be better but I personlly don't like Vaccuforms. My only grief was that my kit came without the sprue for the landing gear, wheels etc but a quick e-mail to HobbyTerra has it coming ASAP and all future kits will include it. Nice job for a repop at least they skipped the incorrect Airfix/Revell kits to copy, those have poor dimensional issues at the rear 1/3 of the plane plus an incorrect nose.

The front wheel bay looks different as it is not as open but I didn't have the wheel well bay for comparison as it was missing but is on the way. Not sure about the wheels in halves as on my Otaki kit as they look too wide but I will see when they arrive. The engines look like the older model RR engines with the short exhuast but I beleive BRA. Z makes newer styles ones as I had bought them for my Otaki kit. Mine is going to be done up as an Orbital Laboratories version with the OOP Meteor Production resin conversion and decals as the original plane once flew for Air Canada.

I see Two Six decals now has decals to do any of the Air Canada aircraft as well as some others so it looks like I'll be doing a few.

Edited by Tarhedale