Microsol and Microset?

Hutch

Morning all.....

I just had a look through my box of bits and found a couple of old (15 years+) bottles of Microsol and Microset. Can anyone tell me the difference between them and why do we have two varieties of the same thing (well, the instructions on the bottles appear to be the same).

I've used Daco in the past and it has made some of my decal colours run so I was hoping to go a little less 'vicious' this time to see if it was better.

As it's sunday morning I expect quite a few of you have escaped to the bench so a quick reply would be useful......

Cheers

Hutch

Hi Hutch

There's a lot about this in the forums including this quick summary.

Other techniques are available (look in the 'Tools & Tips' > 'Decals' forum if you have the odd hour or two) but I use these as follows:

- soak the decal (I use warm water) just until the paper's soaked and then take out before the decal floats away. I have one of those trays to help with this

- apply MicroSET to the model surface

- slide the decal onto the model and position

- gently press down on the decal to remove excess liquid / air from underneath (I roll a cotton bud across the top. Rolling carefully prevents moving the decal)

- brush gently with another coat of Set

- IF the decal doesn't settle as you want it to, apply a coat of MicroSOL and leave overnight. DO NOT touch the decal after you've done this as Sol softens the decal and you can easily damage it.

I've numbered the top of my bottles 1 for SET and 2 for SOL so I now which order to use them in.

The guru on this for me is Paul Budzik and his video on YouTube is here

• Like 4

Hi Hutch

There's a lot about this in the forums including this quick summary.

Other techniques are available (look in the 'Tools & Tips' > 'Decals' forum if you have the odd hour or two) but I use these as follows:

- soak the decal (I use warm water) just until the paper's soaked and then take out before the decal floats away. I have one of those trays to help with this

- apply MicroSET to the model surface

- slide the decal onto the model and position

- gently press down on the decal to remove excess liquid / air from underneath (I roll a cotton bud across the top. Rolling carefully prevents moving the decal)

- brush gently with another coat of Set

- IF the decal doesn't settle as you want it to, apply a coat of MicroSOL and leave overnight. DO NOT touch the decal after you've done this as Sol softens the decal and you can easily damage it.

I've numbered the top of my bottles 1 for SET and 2 for SOL so I now which order to use them in.

The guru on this for me is Paul Budzik and his video on YouTube is here

Many thanks CedB, that is exactly what I needed to know. Enjoy the rest of your sunday!!!

Hutch

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've used Daco in the past and it has made some of my decal colours run so I was hoping to go a little less 'vicious' this time to see if it was better.

Hello Hutch

If my Decalsetting product has made the colours of your decal running again then I can only imaging that these decals were printed by an inkjet printer and that they were not protected by a layer of varnish.

I'm not saying "never", but normal (screen) printed decals will not have this effect when using my Decalsetting solution.

It's also important to use the correct version of my Decalsettings - Soft, Medium or Strong - for the right decal. Using the Strong version on thin 'home-made' inkjet printed decals will probably burn it straight away, that's why there's a Soft version too ...

Best Regards

Danny Coremans

DACO Products

www.dacoproducts.com

• 1 month later...

thanks for this topic OP and the responses by CedB; I'd had exactly the same question so am please to see it answered so clearly.

Can't think why they don't put some instructions etc on the bottles....

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I have used these products for well over 30 years now and NEVER can I remember which way round they are used. The simple answer is evinced above by CedB and to which I totally concur and adhere to myself:-

Number the bottles on the lids 1 & 2. You'll never go wrong from then on.

Top tip: Stick the base of the bottles into an old upturned spray can lid because they don't half tip over easily. Ask me how I know this!

Nige B

I have used these products for well over 30 years now and NEVER can I remember which way round they are used.

The way I remember is that when something SETS it is at the end of the process, ie when you've made yer jelly you leave it to set, well with the Micro system that's reversed so Micro-Set is used first & Sol last.....does that make sense? probably not but that's the way my befuddled brain works :banghead:

I accidentally dropped my set/sol brush on the back of a piece of decal sheet, the dman decal on the other side literally flew off the other side. Very strong wetting agents.

So if you've got thick decal paper that takes an age to let go of the decal, brush the back of sheet with set.