Panzer Putty?

CedB

Anyone have any experience of this stuff?

I had an email from the Scale Model Shop which says:

"Panzer Putty is a dilatant Silicon Putty. It changes its behaviour depending on the force applied. With low force you can easily shape it. A Panzer Putty ball would bounce like a rubber ball, it will splinter when hit with a hammer and breaks smooth when ripped apart. It is not oily or sticky and does not dry and is therefore an ideal tool to airbrush patterns on your models. And not only once but many times."

Looks like magic!

Manufacturer's Website here.

Scale Model Shop here with videos of usage. £14.99

• Like 1

OK, I've ordered some (such a shopper). The second video on the Scale Model Shop's website has convinced me that this stuff will be great for masking, even (possibly) for mottling.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Actually nearer £18 with VAT and postage.

I did at one time think of getting some of this my self, but I can see it doing anything white/blue tac can't do. I know it is supposed to be re usable but I can imagine it'd be a right faff to do that. If you report back that it isn't I may invest in some my self.

Tim.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I have had this stuff for about a year now and have used it several times. It works very well and masks areas from paint perfectly, however it does take some getting used to. It never stops flowing so it is constantly being affected by gravity. If you mask an area and leave it for 24 hours it will have moved, or settled would be a better description.

You have to mask spray and remove. It is awkward to use when you want to have putty next to putty - leaving a small gap in between is difficult because when it touches it sticks to it self completely and you can't separate it. So it is a matter of starting again.

Edited by Bear Paw
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I looked at this, did some research and found the cheaper options. But three questions I never got answered

1 - is stuff like science putty really the same or is there something that makes panzer putty

2 - how much is in the tub. Panzer putty seems expensive compared with science putty but it could be that you get 4x as much

3 - it says it is reusable but what happens to the paint. You use it - it is covered with paint. Do you just roll it up. What happens to the paint. Does it reach a point where there is so much paint in it that it stops working well.

So I haven't bought any.

Cheers,

Nigel

• 2 months later...

How have you got on with it, is is easier to put on than white tack, which I use.

Only thing that worries me is the report that it moves if left on the model any length of time, tends to spread itself out.

im a relative new comer to modelling. My experience of science putty has been thus so far.

It has a unique quality that once laid it can move or settle for a while.

I lay as little as possible for the mask and leave it for a few hours. That way you don't have to worry about it shifting.

Don't lay it over photo etch grills, you lose it and it'll be a mess!?

Careful over photo etch, it's low tack but can still pull small parts off.

Once paintings done, simply find an edge and pull off, I use a leftover ball to pick or roll off the bits.

Double check you model because it's easy to leave little bits behind.

YouTube has some tutorial videos on.

The paint just seems to disappear

Overall I love this stuff.

• Thanks 1

I've noticed it can sometimes leave a residue on the paintwork. This is probabley from oils or grease from my skin when rolling applying it.

I've read that some modellers apply a coat of semi gloss on the base coat then apply the putty to stop this I've never tried it but may do.

Hope all these posts help

Thanks for the info,

Seems to do the same as white tack, reason I ask was white tack takes some working with to roll out the worms for masking and this stuff seems better for that, draw back being it self levels too much for my liking

Colin I've used white tack and found it too tacky and prone to leaving lots of residue.

I much prefer science putty as its so easy to work with. For the cost of it from Amazon, give it go mate.

• Like 1

I looked at this, did some research and found the cheaper options. But three questions I never got answered

1 - is stuff like science putty really the same or is there something that makes panzer putty

2 - how much is in the tub. Panzer putty seems expensive compared with science putty but it could be that you get 4x as much

3 - it says it is reusable but what happens to the paint. You use it - it is covered with paint. Do you just roll it up. What happens to the paint. Does it reach a point where there is so much paint in it that it stops working well.

So I haven't bought any.

Cheers,

Nigel

Panzer putty 80g, science putty 41g

Still by two of the science putty for less though

Ooo, the thread's woken up and I missed it, sorry.

As Anil says (hi Anil!) the Panzer Putty is great IMHO. I haven't noticed it creeping and it can be snapped (if pulled quickly), cut with scissors and pushed around gently. I love it.

Old paint just seems to get 'eaten'. It certainly doesn't stain or leave any residue.

I've used it on most of my recent builds and first used it here, where there's some initial thoughts.

HTH

Ced

I used Panzer Putty for the first time last weekend and it's a game changer for me. I've never come up with an acceptable camouflage scheme until I used the PP. I rate it very highly. It can be reused, soaks up paint and leaves no residue like blue or white-tack can, so overall very happy with it!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Here my 2 cents

I guess Panzer Putty is not for slow modellers (like me)

Here is a reminder of “one” detail of this product

In my opinion it is too self-leveling for those who have to leave the mask for a few hours before painting.

Not suitable for soft transitions because doesn’t leave a raised edge after a few hours

Of course the thicker you apply more noticeable, but even in the thin "snakes" the self-leveling happens.

I do not mean to speak ill of the product, this is just an opinion / alert to THIS detail, there will certainly be many uses for this material.

01-Horizonal_zpsgah7hyop.jpg

02-Horizonal_zpswwgyzwgu.jpg

03-Vertical_zpsmddvojvw.jpg

04-Vertical_zpso2dkoouo.jpg

5-2-IMG03860_1%20copy_zpsa6viszdj.jpg

AJ135_zpssvap79et.jpg

Edited by Vitor Sousa
  • Like 1

You're right Vitor, it does creep about if you leave it too long... but if you want the sort of shapes you're masking in the examples you can roll / pull it into thin sheets and cut it with a knife.

• Like 2