Hobbyboss MS.406 in Palestine **COMPLETED!**

So, having checked this is ok, this is my first group build. As such I've picked what (hopefully) is an easy build to start with and will ensure I don't lose my mojo halfway through.

Allow me to present M. Gauthier's MS406, you can't miss it, it's the small barrel shaped one.

2015-03-20%2019.42.22_zpso9dk8vx7.jpg

As can be seen this will be done with RAF insignia to represent one of the four aircraft that was used by the Free French Flight No2 over Haifa. Three were sent before the Armistace and one defected from Vichy Syria afterwards. They became part of Première Escadrille de Chasse and finally Groupe de Chasse Alsace in time. The squadron also included the MS406's contemporary/replacement in the form of the Dewotine D520, something I also have in the stash but have no decals for as yet. Any ideas where I could find some?

2015-03-20%2019.42.45_zpsjevd5lpr.jpg

Unfortunatly I'm struggling to find any photo's of the aircraft in question so I'm kind of restricted to what Hobbyboss and other modellers have done before me. That said, I have found this illustration that appeared in SAM magazine and hopefully will use this as a good reference point.

2015-03-20%2018.57.45_zpsjaayzs0d.jpg

Edited by charlie_c67
  • Like 3

It folds backwards apparently! No idea how this was achieved short of being sprung loaded? :shrug:

Sadly it seems that current flying examples have neither the ventral aerial or a retractable radiator so I'm having to work from period photos which aren't always the best size or quality. :banghead:

It folds backwards apparently! No idea how this was achieved short of being sprung loaded? :shrug:

Sadly it seems that current flying examples have neither the ventral aerial or a retractable radiator so I'm having to work from period photos which aren't always the best size or quality. :banghead:

Hi Charlie!

In this threat http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234977994-hobby-boss-ms406-croatian/msg 9 has links to great gear and retractable cooler details :)

There is also some discussion about the same kit.

Cheers,

AaCee

• Like 1

A little bit of progress made, I've tried filling the wide mouth radiator a little to make it look closer to the original and the recessed lines on the wings that are actually supposed to be straps. Might end up having to blob filler along each line and sand down. not looking to forward to that if it's the case!

2015-03-23%2023.46.55_zps6qxrnkzq.jpg

2015-03-23%2023.38.19_zpskjmig7qi.jpg

Oh, and I've stuck the cockpit in and primed it ready for paint tomorrow night!

Edited by charlie_c67

Little more work done, some strips of electrical tape to represent the strengthening ribs rather than the grooves on the model. Still having a little trouble with sorting out the front radiator. Anyone have a suggestion on how to sort this?

Anyway, on with the pics...

2015-03-28%2000.09.20_zpsgiotadbv.jpg

2015-03-28%2000.08.51_zpskybocejp.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, this will look nice in the chosen paint job!

Just one thing: the strengthening "ribs" should be much narrower than what you have put.

At a glance, they should be half the width at the most than the ones you stuck on.

But again, it is your model, therefore your decision!

Have fun!

JR

Thanks JR. Figured they probably were too wide but since this is the first time I've done something like this I'd let it ride. Speaking of which, under coat on, cockpit painted and body zipped up. It's also sporting a nice white beard till I can smooth the radiator down a little. Finally, my first attempt at masking the cockpit properly, not as smooth as some, but since the canopy has next to no raised detail I'm happy to let this go as well. Hopefully it won't look too bad!

2015-04-11%2023.47.29_zpsks8cij32.jpg

2015-04-11%2022.51.33_zpsnbqmganx.jpg

2015-04-11%2022.52.45_zpscu5lmb3v.jpg

bac7695e-91cc-45b8-b2f3-4ec2514950ee_zps

Edited by charlie_c67
  • Like 1

Nicely done so far Charlie.

I'll be interested to see which interpretation of the colour scheme you go with, FWIW, the SAM profile looks far mor convincing than Hobby Boss' interpretation.

Wez

Charlie I built the same machine in 1/48 about decade ago using the Hobbycraft kit and the Aeromaster decals.

I've still got the instructions and plans for the Aeromaster decals so you are more than welcome to a copy if these are any use.

Karl

So, few problems rear their ugly heads, first off I thought I painted the undercarriage covers the wrong colour, so re sprayed the white one only to find I had it correct first time! Easily rectified but annoying all the same.

Secondly, I need to decide what colour to do the belly. The SAM pic and HB box suggest it's lighter in shade than the top, the instructions and a pic helpfully supplied by Jinxman of this parish suggest it be the same colour. Since the instructions call the colour Light blue when it's clearly grey and suggest painting the black wing a shade of dark green I'm disinclined to pay them much attention.

Any suggestions?

The callouts I have call the upper colour Gris-bleu fonce and the lower colour Gris-bleu claire. They are different shades, but the distinction is quite small. The upper colour is slightly darker and less blue.

Just to be a pain, I would go for something right in between!!!!

Failing that, I would choose the port wing as the closest.

JR

Hi Charlie,

on the photo below you can see there is still a fairly important contrast between the upper grey blue and the lower blue grey...

Hence my feeling that the grey you put on your port wing might be too light...

Cheers

JR

D.520C-1%20073%202_zpsjmaytwtq.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah I see what you mean JR, though I would say the grey that covers the body and wings is just primer, so I've got a pic of the underside to show the lighter grey I've used. Also tried brushing the lighter grey from the port side on a darker undercoat. the outer colours are the new ones...

image.jpg1_zpsrr4zwmev.jpg

image.jpg2_zps2qvnqzzn.jpg

• Like 1

So I've stalled a little. Trying to decide whether to use the scheme provided by Hobbyboss and Jinxman as the basis for the camo, which is small and bitty sections, or the one from the SAM pic which has no pics of the wings, but has larger and therefore easier patches of dark earth and Dark green. Which do people think would look better?

The overall grey is on and the canopy fitted, just need to decide where to go next!

2015-04-23%2000.15.09_zpsbwrtgzcs.jpg

French fighter camoflage is a faff because there seems to have been no standard pattern, as per the RAF and Luftwaffe, but each individual aircraft was different. SAM maybe?

Hi Charlie,

the choice is really yours, and in your case I would go for the easier one.

Just one thing though: it is not really dark green that is part of the camouflage of these French aircraft, but Khaki (see photo of the D520 I posted). That would be more likely Humbrol 159 or in that ball park figure, as this colour could change depending on batches.

I like the dark blue grey you have selected.

JR