Airfix Canberra B2 to T17 1/48

Evening all.

I'm going to try again at a work in progress.

I started one recently on my 1/48 B1 Lancer but since then a box containing all the landing gear etc.. has vanished so thats on hold.

Its another Canberra for me, this time its a T17 which I am going to do WD955 in hemp.

Thanks to Jinxman for selling me his Alley Cat conversion as I couldn't find one anywhere for sale.

I started this kit about a week ago and have been doing major surgery on the fuselage section to allow the new canopy and nose to fit.

With the Airfix Canberra I've found that the pilot sits far too low and too far back so I've put in a AIRES ejection seat. I know its not the proper one for the Canberra but its a MB Mk.4 which is as close as I could get.

The Airfix supplied crew are far too small (hobbit size) so I also aquired a PJ productions RAF pilot. His size seems far more in proprtion.

As I've raised the seat and brought it forward and also due to the resin nose section I have had to make some compromises with the instrument display, it is now attached to the underside of the canopy section and has been made substantially smaller to allow a good fit. I've used the Airfix crew and seats in the rear as they will probably not be seen.

Another gripe I have with the Airfix kit is the trench like panel lines which bear little or no resemblance to any Canberra so I have filled all the panel lines.

So far everything is fitting reasonably well.

Here are some pics so far....

20150319_203606_zpstugsylqh.jpg

20150319_204139_zpsqlibb3rp.jpg

20150319_204202_zpsi24ei63r.jpg

20150319_204257_zpsnm522a1b.jpg

That last photo looks really rough.... It honestly looks better in the flesh, I have also to add some PE to the pilot seat to finish it.

All comments and advice welcome..

Mark.

• Like 1

A bit more progress...

The landing gear bays are beautifully cast in resin but are anightmare to paint, anyone out there have a good way to paint the fine detail without getting paint everywhere?

I wasn't sure whether to paing the wheel bays silver or white, Canberras seem to have had both options at some stage. I went with a very dirty white as any photos I could find of the landing gear bays seemed to show this colour.

I have used the kit wheels as the seem to be of good enough detail and quality.

20150322_154621_zps5830c8c7.jpg

20150323_135043_zps62459eec.jpg

Again, all coments and advice welcome..

Mark.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...