This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Gekko_1

Star Wars AT-ST and AT-AT camouflage schemes

103 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Richard Baker said:

I was watching the AT-ACT attack Rogue One last night and got to thinking. These walkers are very tall- they are either out of range or you are looking way up at them. Any camouflage pattern would seem to make them even more visible against the sky. How about one where the main body/head and the upper legs were done in a low-viability light gray-blue and maybe the lower legs in something to mix in with the ground clutter...

just an idea...

Yeah, I've thought about this too. The thing is, because of its sheers size it will cast some pretty severe shadows underneath it and down at least the first quarter of the legs. That is why on some of the Tatooine desert dazzle schemes I've left the underside and inside of the legs in cream. Light grey would have a similar effect. I know that during WWII some British desert Shermans had the front underside painted in I think white to try and disguise the frontal shadow of the Sherman from head-on.

brit%20sher%2022.jpg

The only problem with camouflaging the upper parts in a light grey would be that it would make them stand out even more against flying machines and drones. The only real point to camouflaging something this big is to hid it at long range when it is idle. It wouldn't matter what colour it was once it started moving. You'd be surprised how far away you can hear tanks and APC's once they are under way. I'd say it'd be the same with these things. People would hear them coming from miles away.

3 people like this

Now that you mention it, the sound of the ATATs marching was the first detection in TESB- after hearing the thumping they brought the electro-binoculars up and saw them approaching.

Personally I love high tech scifi vehicles in camouflage - it makes them a bit more 'real world' to me.

While not conventional, I played around with an Action Fleet Snowspeeder- I gave it a camo designed to hide it on an alien planet with a very different colored ecosystem.

DSC00048.jpg

DSC00052.jpg

3 people like this

Gekko,

I second Your comments on lightening areas in shade. You might recall me mentioning 'Abbot Thayer's' book on natural camouflage a couple of pages earlier. To my knowledge he was the first person to document why so many animals (almost all in fact) are lighter on the underside than on top, and it's for the reasons you outlined above. He called it 'countershading' and he considered it, in essence, the first principle of camouflage. 

There's a fun fact to consider when designing the next lot of patterns. 😀 

4 people like this