Star Wars AT-ST, AT-AT and AT-DP camouflage schemes

On 5/18/2017 at 4:36 AM, Richard Baker said:

I was watching the AT-ACT attack Rogue One last night and got to thinking. These walkers are very tall- they are either out of range or you are looking way up at them. Any camouflage pattern would seem to make them even more visible against the sky. How about one where the main body/head and the upper legs were done in a low-viability light gray-blue and maybe the lower legs in something to mix in with the ground clutter...

just an idea...

Yeah, I've thought about this too. The thing is, because of its sheers size it will cast some pretty severe shadows underneath it and down at least the first quarter of the legs. That is why on some of the Tatooine desert dazzle schemes I've left the underside and inside of the legs in cream. Light grey would have a similar effect. I know that during WWII some British desert Shermans had the front underside painted in I think white to try and disguise the frontal shadow of the Sherman from head-on.

brit%20sher%2022.jpg

The only problem with camouflaging the upper parts in a light grey would be that it would make them stand out even more against flying machines and drones. The only real point to camouflaging something this big is to hid it at long range when it is idle. It wouldn't matter what colour it was once it started moving. You'd be surprised how far away you can hear tanks and APC's once they are under way. I'd say it'd be the same with these things. People would hear them coming from miles away.

Edited by Gekko_1
  • Like 3

Now that you mention it, the sound of the ATATs marching was the first detection in TESB- after hearing the thumping they brought the electro-binoculars up and saw them approaching.

Personally I love high tech scifi vehicles in camouflage - it makes them a bit more 'real world' to me.

While not conventional, I played around with an Action Fleet Snowspeeder- I gave it a camo designed to hide it on an alien planet with a very different colored ecosystem.

DSC00048.jpg

DSC00052.jpg

• Like 3

Gekko,

I second Your comments on lightening areas in shade. You might recall me mentioning 'Abbot Thayer's' book on natural camouflage a couple of pages earlier. To my knowledge he was the first person to document why so many animals (almost all in fact) are lighter on the underside than on top, and it's for the reasons you outlined above. He called it 'countershading' and he considered it, in essence, the first principle of camouflage. 

There's a fun fact to consider when designing the next lot of patterns. 😀 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎19‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 11:58 PM, Reconcilor said:

Gekko,

I second Your comments on lightening areas in shade. You might recall me mentioning 'Abbot Thayer's' book on natural camouflage a couple of pages earlier. To my knowledge he was the first person to document why so many animals (almost all in fact) are lighter on the underside than on top, and it's for the reasons you outlined above. He called it 'countershading' and he considered it, in essence, the first principle of camouflage. 

There's a fun fact to consider when designing the next lot of patterns. 😀 

Yeah, I had a good look around the net for his images and to read-up a little on him and his theories. A very interesting man. I can relate to his thought process quite a lot. Its interesting how artists are called upon to design camouflages. I guess we "see" things most people don't.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I will be going through the laborious and time consuming process of updating my photos on this thread in due coarse.

Cheers

Richard.

Edited by Gekko_1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

For anybody interested in trying to work out a camouflage scheme for their AT-ST here's a basic layout that can be printed off or used in something like Photoshop to help decide on a pattern that can sometimes become quite complex and difficult to work out. It should print out to A3 size. (I hope) :unsure:

AT-ST%20camouflage%20paint%20guide%20A3.

Cheers

Richard.

Edited by Gekko_1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 7

Thought some of you may be interested to see my work in progress? :shrug:

Still working on/finalising the starboard side. :banghead: :snail:

Then the headache of getting the two sides and front to work on the top and back! :wacko: :frantic: Luckily I actually enjoy this sort of thing! :wicked:

AT-ST%20camouflage%20paint%20guide%20WIP

Many more camo schemes coming for 2019. I'm in the initial planning stages of a purpose-built diorama that will be specifically built to fit in a bookshelf, so it is long and narrow. It will be 28cm x 84.5cm and have either 3 or 4 AT-ST's on it in animated poses shown in a fire and movement scene on a desert planet, possibly Tatooine? All of the Bandai 48th scale AT-ST's will be in a different desert camouflage scheme and will be in various states of weathering. It will be a lot of work but should look quite unique by the time I've finished. I've already been practising the groundwork, which I want to look quite "otherworldly".

20181217_054314.jpg

Anyway, more on that in a separate thread soon.

Cheers

Richard.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Because of your ideas im inspired to build the AT-ST in a captured scheme. Probably do a Temperate or Junglie type scheme captured by the Resistance. Long range scout with a bunch of extra stowage. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Because of your ideas im inspired to build the AT-ST in a captured scheme. Probably do a Temperate or Junglie type scheme captured by the Resistance. Long range scout with a bunch of extra stowage

Yes, do it! :popcorn:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

with a bunch of extra stowage. 

Have a look at what was hanging off of WW2 Shermans for idea's.

That's what I did for my last walker scratchbuild.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235040487-another-walker-finished/

• Thanks 1

Well I finally have my walker. Work will commence as soon as I am done on my current build. I figure two weeks maybe three. That will give me time to gather the greeblies, stowage, and other asst’d bits for my build. I earmarked some of your camo from earlier in this thread to give my ideas about the Temperate/Junglie colorscheme. I will start a thread when i am ready. 

Dennis

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Well I finally have my walker. Work will commence as soon as I am done on my current build. I figure two weeks maybe three. That will give me time to gather the greeblies, stowage, and other asst’d bits for my build. I earmarked some of your camo from earlier in this thread to give my ideas about the Temperate/Junglie colorscheme. I will start a thread when i am ready. 

Dennis

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with! In the meantime, I may have some new schemes to tempt you with. :wicked:

• Thanks 1

Something Green! First for 2019!

sbRBZeW.jpg

Richard.

Edited by Gekko_1
Fixed links. Updated graphic design elements.
  • Like 5

I'm going to be working on some desert/temperate schemes for a while now as I muse ideas for my diorama for later in the year. (I'll need 4 different schemes) :popcorn::wicked::idea::wacko:

NGAtFOh.jpg

Richard.

Edited by Gekko_1
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you who play War Thunder, you may be aware of the new Italian vehicles and aircraft. I'm currently grinding my way through the Italian lineup and couldn't help but notice the unique and varied camouflage schemes available for them. Of course thoughts soon turned to the AT-ST and how they'd look in the Star Wars universe! :wicked:

So here's the first of them.

wXcree8.jpg

Richard.

Edited by Gekko_1
  • Like 6