Royal Navy Adopts New Uniform

I'm sure it's much better/efficient/safe/practical, but would it have killed them to keep the shirts the same colour? :shrug: I used to have some of my dad's old No.4 shirts - nice and comfy after the stiffness had been washed out!

Edited by Paul Bradley

Interesting, it has only taken 19 years to refine and introduce the uniform we trialled on HMS Somerset 1996-1997! :doh: I still just about fit in the overalls although they have now been relegated in use for decorating.

I liked my No's 8's (working rig) but it would have been nice if they didn't shrink when you washed them... Mine didn't and I looked like somethign that had crawled out of the scran bag.

Theres a good bit of diatribe going on, on this subject over on the WAFU's FB page.

Colin no longer in uniform.

• Like 1

I'm quite happy with my 8's thank you very much (I refuse to call them 4's or 3's as opposed to 5's for half blues). After all I've been wearing them for 28 years and I'll be wearing them tomorrow. The new rig just looks 'foreign.' And bats just aren't the same anymore. Also, it will be a very sad and mournful day if they ever get rid of 'Pussers thick blacks.' I'm wearing some now and no crows have attacked me nor have I caught measles. So there!

• Like 1

Rank badges on the front?! Looks like he's dropped some egg down his shirt. Maybe they should have Nicknames over the breast pocket as well? How about trading a beret for the "backwards baseball cap" look, if modern is what they want?

As long as you can work in it and it washes well, most people probably won't care.

Al

Time moves on. Things change. I went from KF shirts and lightweights, throught the green shirts, to CS95 and finally PCS(CU) via a couple of different patterns of combat dress during 30 years in the Army.

It's just a new uniform.

Get over it.

• Like 2

Given the history of attempts to update the RN Uniform, I would happily bet on this being a short trial and everyone still wearing their old no 8s in a year's time.

How many of us ex matelots remember how the fire retardent 8s fell to pieces at the seams (literally) when they were washed (I think I exchanged mine 3 times before I got a pair that would last) ? And when they decided to make us all wear ridiculous Wrens V-neck pullovers (lasted a week after the official change-over date). And the Guernsey-style smooth pullovers (another masterful procurement that shrunk and fell apart when cleaned, but at least it had a pocket for your pens!), and worst of all, the baggy Norgy zip-up shirts that made everyone look like a scran bag. Not to mention sweaty boat shoes that stained the entire ship's company's feet yellow and black leather shoes with lethal rubber soles that would slip and slide even on dry anti-slip coating! As for starched white cotton Trop uniforms.

Oh and the pusser's plastic tambourine Officers and Senior Rates caps. Enough padding to use as a seat. Bring back the old coastal forces white jumpers I say!

FredT

Time moves on. Things change. I went from KF shirts and lightweights, throught the green shirts, to CS95 and finally PCS(CU) via a couple of different patterns of combat dress during 30 years in the Army.

It's just a new uniform.

Get over it.

KF shirts were not missed, the only thing they had over the other shirts was their ease of ironing. Funny how they were never issued to Ruperts.

• Like 1

I have to say that after wearing the old style 8's for over 22 years, i do like the look of these new ones....Like FredT, I also wonder if it will last, as I too can remember all the changes that were brought in without success..........................Change is always a difficult thing to do, especially in a service steeped in tradition like the RN.

Smudge

• Like 1

Rank badges on the front?! Looks like he's dropped some egg down his shirt. Maybe they should have Nicknames over the breast pocket as well? How about trading a beret for the "backwards baseball cap" look, if modern is what they want?

As long as you can work in it and it washes well, most people probably won't care.

Al

When the new uniforms were first floated in the media a couple of months ago I think they also referred to an optional baseball cap.

Not a dig at our US cousins but I still think it's a better solution than the US Navy's multi-patterned blue camouflage uniform, as one of the RAF aircrew who bought the P-8 Poseidon to Fairford last year sagely observed: if you fall overboard you're perfectly camouflaged.

Looks like a Fire Brigade uniform to me and I hate all of this rank being worn on the front rather than on the sleeves or shoulders! I blame the Bootnecks who started it all off by having rank tabs on the front of their Arctic smocks!!

Just like the Army the Navy also seem to be heading down the path or wanting to look like Americans and I hate the collar which looks just like the Army one!

Cheers

Tony

KF shirts were not missed, the only thing they had over the other shirts was their ease of ironing. Funny how they were never issued to Ruperts.

I didn`t really mind KF Shirts once you had got rid of the itchiness they were OK and I had one which was almost white and lovely and soft with tailored short sleeves!. The replacements didn`t last half as long as they always frayed at the collar! We had a real tight bottom QM who wouldn`t exchange them either until they looked really bad but the razz man still used to pick you up for it,....catch 22,......unless you went down the road and bought yourself a new one!

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot

When the new uniforms were first floated in the media a couple of months ago I think they also referred to an optional baseball cap.

Not a dig at our US cousins but I still think it's a better solution than the US Navy's multi-patterned blue camouflage uniform, as one of the RAF aircrew who bought the P-8 Poseidon to Fairford last year sagely observed: if you fall overboard you're perfectly camouflaged.

It's not really that much different than things were before, as the old working uniform was blue as well. The real problem with the blue digis is their apparent tendency to burn readily and stick to the wearers body. Not really a great thing aboard a ship...

• 1 year later...

Well since I've left they got new trucks (sv's),new GSR (that's agr for you old gits) new mtp or whatever and now this.

Have I missed out on something?

Seriously though from what I gather they wash up nice a salty sea dog like and are actually ok .I don't Luke stupid angled trouser pockets .They need a lighter version for hot climate.

The new ovies seem quite good .

Still got my 8s just in case .....romft!

Ps still wear thick blacks with civie shirt and tie.....neg trousers lol

Did anyone say naked bar????

Edited by junglierating

So the general opinion is that we're not quite ready for uniforms like this then?

TNG_Uniform_Mens.jpg

Only for fancy dress lol.....pretty sure a pair of pussers tights a flight deck shirt some BDR tape and a pair of steaming bats would be a close match......message me if you need a translation!o_O Edited by junglierating