1:48 F14A Grumman Tomcat 'Sundowners'

RMCS

Welcome to my latest project: the Academy 1:48 F14A Grumman Tomcat 'Sundowners', limited edition. Now I know that this kit has come into some critisicm regarding the nose, but having researched the other kits available they all have thier own problems, so I went with the kit with one of the most striking schemes out there; and to be honest if it looks like an F14 then thats good enough for me!

Like most of my builds I have upgraded the cockpit with the excellent Aires resin tub and photo etch along with thier exhaust cans. Other wise it will be straight out of the box.

F14a_zpspk10pwzg.jpg

• Like 1

So starting with the Aires Tub and exhaust cans. They are superb1 I have only had to do minor surgery on the fueslage to get the tub to fit (removeal of the uinsturment cowles and thinning down the side lips) The biggest challenge was to transfer the cieling of the front wheel well, but it turned out to be quite straigt forward using my handy dremel!

F14b_zpshjvnhupc.jpg

F14c_zpsrvqinnr5.jpg

Progress has been quite quick on this one, I have maanged to get some colour onto the resin parts! just a bit more detailing and weathering. I am particularly pleased with the exhaust cans where I have used Tamiya powders to get that burn effect!

F14e_zpsikbxv4pl.jpg

F14d_zps4u756ibv.jpg

F14F_zps5ejv3nnx.jpg

f14g_zpssmngejlq.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Im making good progress..tub and exhaust cans all fitted into the fuselage without too much hassle....started painting the exhaust nozzles with alclad.

F14b_zpsx0vnfh3d.jpg

F14c_zpsuxuyvbif.jpg

F14a_zpsrcthh7iu.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for the comments, I have used several diffirent alclads:- durillium, brunt blue, burnt red and a light spray of jet exhaust, finished wih a dark wash..

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...