1/72 - Dassault Mirage IIIC/CJ/CZ/E, 5 & Cheetah by RV Aircraft - released - new boxing M5 "Cyrano"

Homebee

Well I bought one yesterday at Modelfest and started to put it together last night. This kit has tried to be the basis for all Mirage versions (including a trainer I guess going by the fact the fuselage spine is a separate piece) and suffers from that fact.

Just make sure you have a big tube of putty to hand. I had to remove a lot of ejector pin marks, and the major joints (wing-fuselage, tailcone-fuselage and underwing-wing) all needed putty. Maybe it's my ham fisted modelling so I shall be glad to hear what other builders have to say.

Oh for a Mirage IIIE from Airfix or Revell to current standards.

Well it's assembled and primed but the nose looks woefully thin - virtually a cone. Not at all Mirage like.

I believe that the issue was already in the 1/72 HPM kit. The rear of the nose should be ogival, the front (the radome) should be conical.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Gene K said:

Since Hi Planes/PJ are retooling their MIrage lines to offer finer panel lines, wonder if RV will retool their line to get rid of all those rivets????

Gene K

I can imagine RV believes those rivets are a selling point. After all, in some modelling circles/ countries, rivets are the summit of modelling prowess.

Jay

21 hours ago, Gene K said:

Since Hi Planes/PJ are retooling their MIrage lines to offer finer panel lines, wonder if RV will retool their line to get rid of all those rivets????

Gene K

11 hours ago, Mountain goat said:

I can imagine RV believes those rivets are a selling point. After all, in some modelling circles/ countries, rivets are the summit of modelling prowess.

Jay

Agreed!

I've been banging on about this for some time, as an aircraft engineer they're examples of an overstressed airframe and a pulled skin.  Not a plus point in my book!

On 8/23/2017 at 0:29 AM, Mountain goat said:

Understand your point, but the divots are not for me, especially in 1/72.

I had an interesting email exchange with Hi-Planes, and they informed me that all of their 1/72 Mirage kits now have the new sprues with finer panel lines (all older kits sold out).  I'm looking forward to their forthcoming Mirage IIIC --  that one may get to me  faster than the projected Modelsvit and/or Kinetic kits. Considering the excellent Special Hobby F-1 and the AMK Kfir,  it will be a grand year for 1/72 MIrages, I think.:penguin:

Gene K

4 hours ago, Gene K said:

Understand your point, but the divots are not for me, especially in 1/72.

I had an interesting email exchange with Hi-Planes, and they informed me that all of their 1/72 Mirage kits now have the new sprues with finer panel lines (all older kits sold out).  I'm looking forward to their forthcoming Mirage IIIC --  that one may get to me  faster than the projected Modelsvit and/or Kinetic kits. Considering the excellent Special Hobby F-1 and the AMK Kfir,  it will be a grand year for 1/72 MIrages, I think.:penguin:

Gene K

Those finer panel lines are quite nice, have two of them already. But - and perhaps I missed something - do I understand correctly that Hi-Planes has confirmed a future IIIC? Thanks.

Jay

Edited by Mountain goat

17 hours ago, Mountain goat said:

Those finer panel lines are quite nice, have two of them already.

Thanks. I have the IIID/O TWIN PACK on order, so looking forward to seeing the new moldings (supposed to be ready at end of this month according to the site)

do I understand correctly that Hi-Planes has confirmed a future IIIC?

I'm hoping so, but do not know.

Gene K

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, colossusfr said:

Chris Brown confirmed me that the CAD for Mirage IIIC is ready and tests with 3D print are done. No delay but we are on the good way. 

And there will be some parts for a IIIB too !! Yes !

Alain

Faux-ami !

That will please quite a few modellers !