Decal sets suggestion open topic.

DominikS

Hi Everyone!

As we have such opportunity I'd like to start a topic which can allow us to share our decal ideas with Hannants. I find the people writing here as a group of people with huge knowledge. This may help to create most detailed and correct sets on the market.

So this is my idea.

Spitfire Mk.IX in Africa and MTO. Why? So far no-one has released set dedicated to Spitfires Mk.IX used in Africa, Malta, Sicily, Italy, the Balkans. Previous Xtradecal set consits mainly Spitfires used in North-Western Europe, with only two exeptions of 92 and 601 Squadrons. Generally I find MTO and Africa quite forgotten topic. What's more, Eduard's forthcoming Spitfire Mk.IX will let us build many interesting models.

I hope my suggestion will be taken into consideration.

Cheers

Dominik

• Like 2

Having a bit of a Fleet Air Arm flavour to my stash, I'd like to see some aircraft not normally thought of as FAA covered. I'm thinking of Spitfires (unhooked), Lysanders, Travellers, Mosquitos etc.

some of these can be found singly on other sets, but it would be great to put a set together.

I would suggest generic markings sets for all those fiddly stencil markings.

How many times have you wanted say a few more 'No Step' markings. What about yellow 'P' prototype markings (I have one on a very old Almark sheet!)? Kill markings, bombing mission symbols, trestle points? For Luftwaffe markings, things like octane triangles and those kill marks found on the tails of such things as 109's and 190's.

NATO standard markings that you find around all those hatches and vents on post war jets and helicopters?

It may sound boring, but it would save scrabbling around stored markings sheets and robbing otherwise pristine sheets for one item.

Trevor

• Like 5

Arado AR 196 in 1/32 for the Revell model (Bismarck and Tirpitz planes might be nice if details can be found)

and possibly also the Arado 234 in 1/32 on the same sheet to maximise sales?

Spitfire 1 and RAF Mustang both in 1/24 to help the old Airfix models along a tad.

FW200 in 1/48 for the Trumpeter Condor

I just know they are thinking "Mosquito in 1/32" so no need to prompt that - also Lancaster and Mirage 111c plus Kfir etc in same scale too please but thats a given by someone I reckon.

Something along the lines of the old Microscale 72-0007 (72-7) sheets, maybe a fighter specific & bomber specific sheets would be good. Rank flags/pennants, kill markings, mission markings for bombers & a selection of useful fin flashes/roundels.

Steve.

• Like 1

Hannants have a couple B of B sets in the future release pages. I like the idea of the MTO and desert campaign sets but I think DK Models do some already. But dedicated BPF/ SEAC /far east areas seem to be overlooked a bit by aftermarket decals.

• Like 2

But dedicated BPF/ SEAC /far east areas seem to be overlooked a bit by aftermarket decals.

Well, Xtradecals did do the excellent RAF P-47 sheet.

For my own part, I'd love to see a Mosquito sheet; the three Tamiya kits in 1/72 are very poorly served for aftermarket markings, and the kit decals are the usual indifferent Tamiya quality.

I'd love a set of East Anglian based USAF 1950's jets: F-84Gs, F-84Fs, RF-84Fs and F-86Ds, in 1/48th if possible.

I'd second that. Also the International Hawker Hunter sheet in 48th.

Top Marks to Jon for doing this. I hope it continues to work well for all concerned.

• Like 1

I`d love to see;

- A sheet of yellow Fleet Air Arm generic letters and numbers for second line WW2 aircraft.

- Another generic Fleet Air Arm set for red letters and numbers with a white outline.

There are quite a few different styles and sizes so some research would have to be carried out.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 3

My two cents... I'd love to see a sheet or two on USAFE aircraft of the 80s and early nineties... Ramstein/Spang F-4s in euro 1 and hill grey, a range of F-16s and F-16s, F-111s, A-10s etc. Basically anything that might have appeared at a Mildenhall airshow during this time. I know xtradecal has a couple of their early sheets available, but new sheets to the latest standard would be great! Paul

• Like 1

A set of decals to provide that splendid splinter camouflage pattern a la SAAB Viggen!! (or, for that matter, any other complex splinter pattern !!Love the seat harness idea

Allan

I`d love to see;

- A sheet of yellow Fleet Air Arm generic letters and numbers for second line WW2 aircraft.

- Another generic Fleet Air Arm set for red letters and numbers with a white outline.

There are quite a few different styles and sizes so some research would have to be carried out.

Cheers

Tony

Amen, brother! Testify! The number of projects I have stalled because the kit manufacturers have misinterpreted codes as white vice yellow (eg MPM/SH Grumman Goose). Have been nagging Hannants, RAFDec and anyone else who didn't flee out of earshot quicklyenough for yellow codes for years. Even did a poll on this site which dredged up, oh, 12-15 people who were interested. Although catering for the many and varied styles used by the FAA would be nice, just redoing some of the current Xtradecal WW2 letter and number sheets in yellow vice white or read would be a welcome start: minimum cost because no new artwork. At a minimum I'd like to see 18" and 24" sizes with a nice number of each character. Oh, and in 1/72, of course.

Red codes outlined white is definitely number 2 on my list.

Number 3 would probably be a dedicated East Indies Fleet national markings sheet, with plenty of small roundels, modified fin flashes and modified upperwing roundels in the outside diameter sizes appropriate to EIF aircraft. Maybe even a few with white outlines for late war Corsairs and Hellcats.

• Like 2

Along the lines of the squadron histories I imagine there are many of us who build aircraft associated with our local area so some 'airfield history' sets (in 1/72 of course) would be interesting. They need not be just one airfield but could also cover a regional group (e.g. for the RAF a Sector station plus satellites). Some could also mix civil & military (e.g. St.Mawgan / Newquay).

Ross

• Like 2

With the demise of Model Alliance decals, how about redoing some of the sheets they did - for example Senior Service Phantoms. Or would copyright preclude that?

John

• Like 2