Ypres 1914 , Finished , Thank you.

Jaguar's 120 mm "Close Call Tommy" resin kit supplies the genesis for this piece. However the figs sardonic smile and the subject matter does not do it for me.

The horrors of trench warfare and all that....

Worked on for the last few years ,sporadically , the piece has a base well on its way. Fig work is ongoing and will be the subject of my first post here.

Attendee's to this party include the kit above as well as Verlindens Hand Set , Verlinden's "All Quiet on the Western Front resin kit , Verlindens 'Skull & Bones' set , Custom Dioramics Head set #1 , Exquisite accy's from David Parkins " Firing Line " offerings , Verbiest Productions , and a plethora of dio supplies which we will get into shortly.

Jaguars offering has the subject holding a damaged helmet, excellent kit , just not to my taste. I pondered the idea and came up with a way to mount one of D.P.'s killer SMLE white metal castings , in a way that suggests something else:

gunfit0009_zpsyhseha1r.jpg

I pinned the rifle to the fig to help with hand fitting and carved a 'fold' the rifle would put in the leather jerkin.

I cut the thumb off, pinned it (learned that the hard way ) and fitted it around the weapon, filling the gaps with cyano:

gunfit0019_zps6sef1ylj.jpg

gunfit0003_zpsffcmb8ii.jpg

The hand is an extra from the Verlinden set , pinned as well , and carved to fit the rifle, which meant cutting the thumb off and grooving the inside of the hand:

gunfit0018_zpsilhqpwxb.jpg

Propping the rifle butt onto one's hip says to me: HUNTER.

Edited by krow113
  • Like 1

Great progression! My only point would be about those exposed skulls: I'd imagine they'd get to that point after some years in the ground (if I understand correctly the time-frame of you Diorama) ... unless they've been eaten up by the 4-legged guest on the left side of the boardwalk :sick:

Other than that, great assembling and painting job!

Ciao

• Like 1

Thanks giemme.

First Ypres was in late 1914 , October. And although the skulls are exposed , there are layers of mud to come. The scene will also be soaking wet , so lots more to go!

Here is the front of the display, the nameplate will go here:

IMG_6269_zps66a5c4c5.jpg

And there are 2 'guests' for dinner!

Edited by krow113
  • Like 1

Looking good, just one thing, the gas mask; if this is supposed to be October 1914 it shouldn't be there, gas wasn't used until the Second Battle of Ypres in April 1915. Looking forward to progress on this :)

• Like 1

Looking good, just one thing, the gas mask; if this is supposed to be October 1914 it shouldn't be there, gas wasn't used until the Second Battle of Ypres in April 1915. Looking forward to progress on this :)

Yes you are right.

Took me all of five minutes to conirm.

So that leaves me with a hole in the dio, the mask was a focal point in that area too.

gmask0001_zpswsxbcpui.jpg

Dang!

Edited by krow113
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Almost reached critical mass (no turning back or stopping) on this but pulled out at the last minute. At the point now where I have to mix a final mud session and coat everything!

Figgie into primary colors:

IMG_8591_zpsnvywi8xi.jpg

Sheet metal treatment solved:

IMG_8913_zpshfvojrwo.jpg

IMG_8912_zpsm1ho7kvf.jpg

Base detail still accumulating:

IMG_8903_zpsaj33miqr.jpg

IMG_8870_zps57aklotp.jpg

Figgie fitting:

IMG_8923_zpskygkaaba.jpg

Thanks for lookin'! Suggestions and comments taken into consideration.

Edited by krow113
  • Like 3

Player shots:

group.jpg

group4.jpg

don't know if you are planning to use the Brodie helmet from this, but in a similar vein to the Gas Mask the helmet was first issued as 'trench stores' in early 1916 and when more became available, personnel issue.

• Like 1

No worries , thanks for the interest and comment. Research did result in the same conclusion:

IMG_0002_zps90dc7778.jpg

One of the hold-ups is the p/e needed to replicate the cap badge. My Great Grandfather was one of the "Old Contemptables" a Burnley Lad. The proper cap badge has been determined and has to be made.

I'm realy glad you're back to this one. Do I spy a pair of glasses on the middle skull? All sorts of detail in the ground work, fabulous.

Yaya Natty! P/E glass' from the Verlinden 120mm detail set. Good spotting!

• Like 1

Nice to see this thread reactivated, looking good, nice detail in the ground work. What regiment was your great-grandfather in, krow? Wondered if it was the East Lancs as you say he was a Burnley lad.

Natter, you've got better eyes than me, completely missed the glasses on the skull!

• Like 1

III Corp ( Major-General W. Puttaney ), 4th Division ( Major- General H. Wilson ) , East Lancashire Regiment , 11 Brigade , Z Company ( The Burnley Pals) of the 11 th Battalion. I think I have that right, if so there would be a yellow rams head on the upper sleeve.

I have not determined if that is so having no way to do so.

I was in England , my parents being from Burnley , I went to the cemetery in Burnley and saw his grave , and have lost the pic I took ( damn , damn ,damn ,etc ) . He fought in the first battle of Ypres and died of his wounds in England.

Thanks for the interest and comments.

Fascia detail:

ypres_zps441b2c33.jpg

Edited by krow113

sorry to pee on your firework again but I've just noticed a couple of 'potato mashers' the Type 24 stick grenade wasn't introduced by the Germans until 1915 :)

congratulations on fine skills.

III Corp ( Major-General W. Puttaney ), 4th Division ( Major- General H. Wilson ) , East Lancashire Regiment , 11 Brigade , Z Company ( The Burnley Pals) of the 11 th Battalion. I think I have that right, if so there would be a yellow rams head on the upper sleeve.

I have not determined if that is so having no way to do so.

I was in England , my parents being from Burnley , I went to the cemetery in Burnley and saw his grave , and have lost the pic I took ( damn , damn ,damn ,etc ) . He fought in the first battle of Ypres and died of his wounds in England.

Thanks for the interest and comments.

Fascia detail:

ypres_zps441b2c33.jpg

If your great grandfather was at First Ypres then he wouldn't have been in the 11th East Lancashire Regiment as this was a New Army unit and formed part of 94 Brigade, 31st Division. This division did not land in France until 1916, having served for some time in Egypt. Link: http://www.1914-1918.net/31div.htm The 1st East Lancs would have been in 11 Brigade, 4th Division which landed in France in 1914 in time to take part in the battle of Le Cateau. Link: http://www.1914-1918.net/4div.htm

For more information about your great grandfather you might try the Great War Forum Link: http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php I've just joined this to find out information about my grandfather who served in the 14th York and Lancaster and the 6th York and Lancaster. A very helpful member found the info and gave me the link to his service record, so the information is out there. A recommended site.

Keep up the good work on the diorama, really enjoying this!

• Like 1

If your great grandfather was at First Ypres then he wouldn't have been in the 11th East Lancashire Regiment as this was a New Army unit and formed part of 94 Brigade, 31st Division. This division did not land in France until 1916, having served for some time in Egypt. Link: http://www.1914-1918.net/31div.htm The 1st East Lancs would have been in 11 Brigade, 4th Division which landed in France in 1914 in time to take part in the battle of Le Cateau. Link: http://www.1914-1918.net/4div.htm

For more information about your great grandfather you might try the Great War Forum Link: http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php I've just joined this to find out information about my grandfather who served in the 14th York and Lancaster and the 6th York and Lancaster. A very helpful member found the info and gave me the link to his service record, so the information is out there. A recommended site.

Keep up the good work on the diorama, really enjoying this!

So convoluted trying to nail these things down. I'm not gonna worry too much about it. The family history is enough for me. I'll check your links and see what I can come up with , but it has taken years to get the info. And as soon as I do get the info , it comes to light something else , a tad frustrating.

He was there .

He was injured.

He died.

Thanks for the continued input , I do take everything into consideration.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...