Ypres 1914 , Finished , Thank you.

Looking very good. krow, really like the lettering. Just one thing, the rifle sling should be attached to the sling swivel halfway along the barrel. The swivel at the muzzle was the piling swivel, used for piling arms. You're doing a great job there!

g thanks.

593j -Thanks but I cant find any pix to prove your suggestion. I can find many pix showing the sling as modelled , as well as the David Parkins Firing Line SMLE instructions.

No worries , I doubt if any one was posing like this in the Ypres salient anyway...

Sling attached and painted, final testing :

IMG_0016_zps6jq2g2qb.jpg

Very little left to do , joining the fig and base and then embedding the two

Edited by krow113
  • Like 1

Excellent work, krow, but I'm very surprised you were unable to find any photographs of rifle slings attached in the way that I suggested, there are lots of them out there:

Second picture, 2nd Grenadier Guards, August 1914

http://www.britishbattles.com/firstww/battle-cotterets.htm

Second picture, 1st Irish Guards, August 1914

http://www.britishbattles.com/firstww/battle-landrecies.htm?ezpage=7

Scroll down the page to Was Britain Ready for war in 1914

http://www.1914-1918.net/entente.htm

Anyway, as you say, an unlikely pose for the Salient, one which would guarantee a short life expectancy!

Looking forward to seeing the finished piece.

• 2 weeks later...

Piece is finished. The model is a tribute to my great grandfather , who by family record fought in the first battle of Ypres in 1914 and died of his wounds in England. There will be some concerns , I will ask that you refrain from the unneeded type of comment as when I call a piece finished there is no going back. Thank you.

There are no insignia as I don't have clear info on the look of the sleeve patch at this point. The cap badge has to be a custom p/e item and too small to get that 'lab' set up , it will be added when my p/e needs are 'fattened' up a little. I have plenty of pix of hats without badges ,and sleeves without battle patches.

So many men went and fought, came back wounded or died on the field , wasted by 'aristocrats' and politicians who knew little of the death they sent others to with little compunction.

Started in 2010 and finished today 2016 , here is 'YPRES 1914'

IMG_0036_zpsma4h9uij.jpg

IMG_0043_zpsrqwoijvv.jpg

IMG_0041_zpsy6t7xdoj.jpg

IMG_0040_zpspm66dysg.jpg

IMG_0038_zpstj1naasy.jpg

IMG_0037_zpsswiuhnzj.jpg

Edited by krow113
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks g , and Yeoman.

Getting this done is a real relief. The amount of work and study that goes into a WW 1 dio fig subject can be seemingly unsurmountable.

Thank s to all who took the time to comment.

IMG_0051_zpstdb5i3lp.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I only found this part of the forum following a link from site help yesterday, so have no idea how many fabulous pieces like this I have missed.

But although I'm a month late Steve, I couldn't not leave a comment to say what a wonderful tribute you have produced there - & I hope you don't mind me saying - not just to your great grandfather but all the others of that tragically lost generation.

Simply superb modelling & I've thoroughly enjoyed catching up with your thread. Wonderful, poignant work...

Keith

• Like 1

Kieth and bwaters , thanks for your interest and comments.

It was a long process , not without its frustrating moments , but came together in the end . Mostly due to an effort to 'finish', a relentless desire to get it done.

A near to finish shot:

IMG_0016_zps6jq2g2qb.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Very atmospheric and well executed tribute to your grandfather. My only niggle would be that the Tommy is too clean - Ypres was a sea of mud.

Mike

Edited by Mike W
  • Like 1

Vince and Mike thanks!

You may be thinking of the second Ypres Mike, but others have commented on the 'cleanliness' of the fig.

I 'build for the tables' that is to say I enter everything in the local contests , judges prefer a cleaner fig to make their decisions, this was the prime motivation to keep the mud down.

It is also very tough to make the mud look proper, the transitions from dry to wet mud for example is real hard to render.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A very interesting dio, and congrats on the award!

As mentioned above, the only units involved in 1914 were regular Army (the "Old Contemptibles" as you correctly stated). The Pals battalions were Kitchener's volunteer army and didn't see action until the Somme, in 1916.

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 1