1/72 Airfix Bristol Blenheim Mk.IV, 105 Sqn, July 1941

Blen'm. Perfect, well done Stew! For How to Pronounce other UK place names, or just for an ogle at the lovely Siobhan (pronounced "shavawn"), see this. Unfortunately Blenheim does not feature, nor my other favourite 'Belvoir', pronounced beaver. Honest. Why? I don't know!

Sorry to hear about the new 'weathering' technique. Here, you can copy and paste this...

Sadly, on return from the Bremen raid, Hughie Edwards' aircraft burst both its oil tanks and somehow blew the resulting mess out through its exhausts

No one will ever know.

• Like 2

...Sadly, on return from the Bremen raid, Hughie Edwards' aircraft burst both its oil tanks and somehow blew the resulting mess out through its exhausts

No one will ever know.

:lol: Brilliant, thank you Ced, that almost makes it worth it :D

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Stew

that is a gorgeous looking Blenheim IV! Mine is lurking in the stash whispering "Go on, you know you want to" every time I walk in to the room...I fear I may succumb to its charms quite soon!

CedB

You like strange place names? Try living up here in Scotland where we have such wonderful places as Milngavie, Strathaven, Penicuik and Kirkcaldy. The latter two are easy if you have a bit of geography behind you, or you were lucky enough to be born here! The first two however do have peculiarities all of their own!

DC

PS We also have Anstruther and a few other works of art too!

• Like 5

One of my best mates is Dutch (he was unlucky enough to be my FDO for 2 years on exchange with the RN; endless hours on a cold wet Type 22 flight deck waiting for the grey budgie to return. I digress).

It still brings a little joy into my life every time he says the word Loughborough. Luff-bruh to an Englishman; Loogerberroogah to yer friendly local Clog.

Mind you, he gets his own back by making me say Scheveningen and other such Dutch words...

In theory your beautiful aircraft should be pronounced Blen-high-m. But your Blen'm is spot on.

• Like 6

Scheveningen ( and yes, I have learned to pronounce that one correctly ) was apparently used as a test during the war. If a German was trying to pass himself off as a Hollander, he was asked to pronounce this towns' name. If you are not Dutch, you would never get it.

There is a dot on the map in the Kalahari desert, up near the Botswana border, called Hotazel ( Hot as Hell being the derivative of that one )

• Like 2

The Scheveningen thing all hinges on the different way that SCH is pronounced in German as opposed to Dutch. Most languages have words like that (those of you who know the Old Testament will know the "shibboleth" story).

Get someone whose first language is French to say the English word "squirrel" and then ask yourself whether they could pass as English. Even those with superb English find it a hard word to say. No doubt they have equivalent words in reverse.

Still a beautiful Blen-Hyme, though - and sorry about the thread hijack!

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 4

Highjack, sorry. Bristolians have a very special accent and they add an 'l' to the end of every word ending in a vowel. There was a great clip years ago of a guy with a placard going around the streets: "Ava Gardner was a prima donna of modern opera" became "Aval Gardnal was a primal donnal of modern operal'. When it was pointed out that they were adding an 'l' they invariably said "No I 'int".

A friend also had a huge problem with a Bristolian TV engineer when his TV wasn't working:

"Its the aerial that's the problem"

"Yes, that's why we called you"

"No, not the aerial, the signal's weak in this areal"

Cheers Drive!

• Like 5

Well gents, I think my Brizzle Blen'm is about as complete as it will be... it looks okay from the top anyway:

DSCN3011.jpg

I'll set up the RFI post shortly...

Thanks to you all for all your input, diversion, distraction, assistance and amusements :D

So... by way of a post mortem... I enjoyed building this one a little more than the Mk.I I did last year, it felt like the cockpit section fitted easier and the engine cowlings, while still not a brilliant fit, were more stable once completed - in both cases that could be because I expected trouble this time :D

The lack of 'bubbled' side windows... I really don't know how to advise you if that is going to be a big problem for you, the Falcon vac canopy doesn't have the bulges, the Squadron one does but it doesn't fit the new-tool Blenheim, and for those of you hoping that Airfix will produce a new boxing for the bomber variant with bulged side windows... well I think not, given that both types of bomber chin turret are already included on the clear sprue in the current boxing. So if the canopy is a deal-breaker for you, only the earlier Mk.IVs can be built from the kit as it stands, unless you say "the hell with it" and just build whichever ones you want anyway.

Anyway, like I said I enjoyed this one, and aside from the shame I have brought upon myself because of the aforementioned exhaust staining foul-up I am quite happy with it.

Thanks again for your attention gents :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 16

Another masterpiece with an educational and entertaining thread from a great 'pragmatic' modeller.

Love your threads Stew... what's next?

• Like 1

I only use a hairy stick.... Out of choice! Does this make me wrong in the head (probably less to do with choice of medium and more to do with just being wrong).

I have looked at airbrushes and even had a go but I just enjoy a paint brush.... Must be the romantic in me, and why my models come out as an impression of what I want (see what I did)

I will say the hairy stick does hold me back some what..... There is more than one reason I german ac's worry me.

Rob

No reason to be afraid of German aircraft and no reason to feel held back by brush painting. I don't own an airbrush. Used to have one but gave it away after a few months. More trouble than it was worth I reckon and it certainly did not make me any better a modeller. I hated the inordinate amount of masking required, the constant mixing & thinning often tiny batches of pain and, most of all I missed the sense of pride and achievement I always got by brush painting. Try brush painting a B-52 in 1/72 & you will get my drift!!. I do not mask camo patterns at all. I draw the camo pattern on free hand using a soft pencil and then fill in with a variety of sizes of flat brush. Very simple with a little practice. If you are referring to the mottled effect on German WWII aircraft, it's easy. Once upon a time there were NO airbrushes!! We worked with what we had. What we had was a selection of old,worn brushes cut down to a stub 2-3mm long. Dipped in paint & then wiped almost dry on a piece of tissue. Then stippled on to the model. Again, takes a little practice but very easy once you get the knack. I see no reason to change now. Have a go Rob! :thumbsup:

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 3

Another masterpiece with an educational and entertaining thread from a great 'pragmatic' modeller.

Love your threads Stew... what's next?

Thanks Ced, I've just got to do the paperwork on my Dewoitine D510 for the French Fancies GB and then I can start on the Bloch MB210 which was supposed to be my first build for that GB :lol:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

No reason to be afraid of German aircraft and no reason to feel held back by brush painting. I don't own an airbrush. Used to have one but gave it away after a few months. More trouble than it was worth I reckon and it certainly did not make me any better a modeller. I hated the inordinate amount of masking required, the constant mixing & thinning often tiny batches of pain and, most of all I missed the sense of pride and achievement I always got by brush painting. Try brush painting a B-52 in 1/72 & you will get my drift!!. I do not mask camo patterns at all. I draw the camo pattern on free hand using a soft pencil and then fill in with a variety of sizes of flat brush. Very simple with a little practice. If you are referring to the mottled effect on German WWII aircraft, it's easy. Once upon a time there were NO airbrushes!! We worked with what we had. What we had was a selection of old,worn brushes cut down to a stub 2-3mm long. Dipped in paint & then wiped almost dry on a piece of tissue. Then stippled on to the model. Again, takes a little practice but very easy once you get the knack. I see no reason to change now. Have a go Rob! :thumbsup:

Allan

Thanks allan,

A great pep talk! And a convincing one! I will have to break out my fw190 which I have put off for a year now. Cheers (once I have finished the little bits on my Hampden and completed my spitfire that is!)

Stew it looks fantastic, and thank you for such a great and entertaining WIP, like all your others I learn a lot and it make me more confident so cheers! Here's to the next one.

Rob

P.s. I'm sure the undersides are not as bad as you make you mate.... And if they are we won't say....you can always copy and paste Ced's comment

• Like 1

Thanks allan,

A great pep talk! And a convincing one! I will have to break out my fw190 which I have put off for a year now. Cheers (once I have finished the little bits on my Hampden and completed my spitfire that is!)

Stew it looks fantastic, and thank you for such a great and entertaining WIP, like all your others I learn a lot and it make me more confident so cheers! Here's to the next one.

Rob

P.s. I'm sure the undersides are not as bad as you make you mate.... And if they are we won't say....you can always copy and paste Ced's comment

Good morning Rob.

Thank you for your comment. I'm glad you found it useful. Any masking I do is usually restricted to upper/lower demarcation lines. The main reason I keep masking to minimum is to try & avoid the ridges of paint which inevitably build up along the mask when brush painting. Not difficult to remove these paint ridges but very annoying!! Given the geometric nature of the German splinter camouflage, you may (if you have one) use a flexible rule if drawing the camo pattern on to the base colour. Such patters are of course actually quite easy to mask if you prefer.

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

That's turned out rather nicely, Stew! :goodjob:

It's a bit of a shame that Airfix made the mistake with the canopy blisters, but I'm getting around it by making mine a Finnish one.

Well, when I get round to building it.... :whistle:

Mike. :)

Edited by MikeR
  • Like 1

Thanks Rob, I had a lot of fun doing it, and as for the exhaust stains... well I can live with it :)

Thanks Mike, really Airfix are in the clear, as it looks to me like both the versions offered in the Mk.IVF boxing had unmodified - flat - side windows anyway... so if you look at it another way Airfix very generously provided all the extra parts to make an earlier Mk.IV bomber in the kit :D - however if you want to make a bomber with modified/retrofitted blistered side windows you will need to source these yourself... of course it gets you off the hook if you do a Finnish one, and there are some nice decal options for those too :)

Cheers,

Stew