1/72 Airfix Bristol Blenheim Mk.IV, 105 Sqn, July 1941

Hi Stew,

Looking good! I'm enjoying your WIP's, as they all provide tips for the kits I've recently added to the stash. Looking forward to seeing the camo go on.

Rob

Hey Rob, thanks very much :D - Airfix have been taking all my kit money lately, but I don't resent it :lol:

Looking good. I see you have managed to wrestle the three-piece cowlings together! The Barracuda parts do look very nice, I must say.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian; yes I managed a more sturdy construction this time, but it still needed a smear of filler to bridge the gaps between the cowling parts, I can't figure out what I am doing wrong there but there is something I ought to be doing, or doing better, I am sure :hmmm:

Coming together nicely Stew.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Simon.

Thanks mate :D

Excellent build Stew and loving all the detail.

Thank you very much Ian :D

Bah! What's all this "I'm going to take a few weeks off" stuff, Stew? I missed this one!

Your interiors are just getting better and better. I love the homage to Navy Bird's Beaufort map. It's great to see another of your masterpieces coming together.

Also, I may have just seen a Blenheim sitting under the Arizona sun with our mutual pal Procopius.

I know Cookie, I have a problem and I just can't admit it... :lol:

Also, your last sentence made me slightly jealous for at least three different reasons :lol: - wish I was there :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

Also, your last sentence made me slightly jealous for at least three different reasons :lol: - wish I was there :)

Me too! Devon doesn't compare really does it. And I'm back now feeling grotty. Huh.

• Like 1

Also, I may have just seen a Blenheim sitting under the Arizona sun with our mutual pal Procopius.

You'll be delighted to know, Stew, that it had no side bulges on the windows.

• Like 5

Me too! Devon doesn't compare really does it. And I'm back now feeling grotty. Huh.

Sorry to hear you're feeling grotty, but Devon seems pretty exotic to those of us from North of the Wall...

• Like 2

Hmm, we have been given yet another severe weather warning up here, not sure what it is this time, unicorns, I think? :shrug:

You'll be delighted to know, Stew, that it had no side bulges on the windows.

I googled it. Looks like someone forgot to take the canopy masks off :whistle::D

Sorry to hear you're feeling grotty, but Devon seems pretty exotic to those of us from North of the Wall...

Indeed. I've heard they have palm trees B)

Today I sprayed the undersides Sky as previously advised:

DSCN2880.jpg

Yes I know. It looks fine in real life though. Then I started on the undercarriage units:

DSCN2884.jpg

Not only is the undercarriage rather nicely detailed but you can add it after painting the undersides which is nice.

Airfix depict the aircraft in question as having a wavy demarcation line between the upper and lower camouflage colours, I attempted to replicate this with Blu-tack:

DSCN2888.jpg

Pretty ugly, huh? ;) Then I sprayed the Dark Earth:

DSCN2893.jpg

... which was touch-dry by the time I had walked the dog and fed him, so I removed the masking to see how I did...

DSCN2897.jpg

...hmm, well partially but adequately successful - it's not a very good view of it, but you'll get a better look soon enough :D

I think I will brush-paint the Dark Green disruptive pattern as I have had enough complex masking for one weekend and it worked quite well with the Defiant, so that will be my next job.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 9

This is coming along great Stew.

I have indulged in obtaining a number of Peewit masking sets (for Blenheims Mk1 and Mk1v, and the Dornier) all on your recommendation. Also ordered the Eduard set for the Lanc BII too so I can compare both types. Thanks for all the tips and hints and problem solving...

All the best, Ray

• Like 1

Aha! Someone's doing something unlike lazy / sick me - thanks for the well wishes all.

Looking good Stew!

I think I will brush-paint the Dark Green disruptive pattern as I have had enough complex masking for one weekend.

I'm beginning to think that's the best, or at least easiest and most satisfying, way. Masking the horizontal lines is OK but the second camo colour always feels like an anti-climax to me*. All that ​really careful work and then it's sprayed in minutes, whereas hand brushing seems more relaxed and therapeutic. And it saves a lot on masks!

I have found a guy in Tavistock with a laser cutter who will do short runs but he needs the material supplied and it's probably cheaper to buy the commercial ones. Oh well.

* half a point? Sorry to disappoint but I can't muster a better double entendre (now 'DE', OK?)

• Like 5

Mirror the above, i always feel its had a fair amount of criticism, but it looks 100% than the old one! Or maybe Stew is making it look easy?? Well which ever it look great, cracking work on the wavy edge.

Rob

• Like 1

I googled it. Looks like someone forgot to take the canopy masks off :whistle::D

Yes, we found the one-to-one scale Blenheim you've been passing off as your own work in 1/72. You're nicked, my good sir! Now come along quietly.

• Like 4

Just how sick are you Ced?!?! :banghead:

A bit better but still feeling like a market survey - broken down by age and sex...

(I know this is a comment on my, er, comment about hairy sticks rather than and enquiry about my health but I can't miss the chance to slip that one in*)

* DE score 1

• Like 3

Looking great Stew. I will be addressing the cowlings on my Mk 1 next weekend. Whats the score with these? It sounds like you had some issues with them - which feels me with trepidation.

• Like 1

* half a point? Sorry to disappoint but I can't muster a better double entendre (now 'DE', OK?)

A man who can't get his double entendres up, eh? You can get pills for that sort of thing nowadays, you know

• Like 4

A man who can't get his double entendres up, eh? You can get pills for that sort of thing nowadays, you know

Boom boom tish - score 1!

• Like 3

I only use a hairy stick.... Out of choice! Does this make me wrong in the head (probably less to do with choice of medium and more to do with just being wrong).

I have looked at airbrushes and even had a go but I just enjoy a paint brush.... Must be the romantic in me, and why my models come out as an impression of what I want (see what I did)

I will say the hairy stick does hold me back some what..... There is more than one reason I german ac's worry me.

Rob

• Like 1

Although the whole of the Falcon canopy doesn't fit, can the bulged window be separated and replace the current Airfix part? Or indeed can the old Airfix part be used? I'll have to go digging in the spares box for I may have one of those myself. I agree that it is better to make the model than lose too much time worrying over smaller details, but if such a detail can be fairly easily corrected, then why not? Given the Vxxxx serial, I'd think it very unlikely not to have them.

I suspect the world wouldn't stop girating - or even gyrating - if you put Merlins on your Blenheim.

Merlins on a Blenheim?? Now THAT is an interesting idea...................................................!!!!!!! :hmmm:

Allan

I only use a hairy stick.... Out of choice! Does this make me wrong in the head (probably less to do with choice of medium and more to do with just being wrong).

I have looked at airbrushes and even had a go but I just enjoy a paint brush.... Must be the romantic in me, and why my models come out as an impression of what I want (see what I did)

I will say the hairy stick does hold me back some what..... There is more than one reason I german ac's worry me.

Rob

I've never had any luck using my hairy stick romantically on models.

• Like 5

I've never had any luck using my hairy stick romantically on models.

DE, score 1 (are we still enjoying this game? Tell me when you've had enough. Ooh, DE score 1!)

• Like 2

It's a cracking' looking kit

Duncan B

Thanks Duncan, I'm really enjoying it, just like I did with the Mk.I, I can't really ask for more than that :)

This is coming along great Stew.

I have indulged in obtaining a number of Peewit masking sets (for Blenheims Mk1 and Mk1v, and the Dornier) all on your recommendation. Also ordered the Eduard set for the Lanc BII too so I can compare both types. Thanks for all the tips and hints and problem solving...

All the best, Ray

Thanks very much Ray :) My personal experience suggests that the Eduard masks are slightly better quality - their tape seems a bit thicker and nicer than the Peewit stuff - but both essentially do the same job to the same standard which is why I tend to go with the Peewits which do not usually cost half the price of the original kit (I am still sore about it, you can probably tell :nono: )

Looking splendid sir.

Why thank you sir, no doubt you are looking pretty spiffy yourself :bye:

Aha! Someone's doing something unlike lazy / sick me - thanks for the well wishes all.

Looking good Stew!

I think I will brush-paint the Dark Green disruptive pattern as I have had enough complex masking for one weekend.

I'm beginning to think that's the best, or at least easiest and most satisfying, way. Masking the horizontal lines is OK but the second camo colour always feels like an anti-climax to me*. All that ​really careful work and then it's sprayed in minutes, whereas hand brushing seems more relaxed and therapeutic. And it saves a lot on masks!

I have found a guy in Tavistock with a laser cutter who will do short runs but he needs the material supplied and it's probably cheaper to buy the commercial ones. Oh well.

Hi Ced, yes in my case I fear it is just laziness, though I do get a certain satisfaction from brush-painting the camo pattern simply because I cannot really replicate it by masking - funnily enough I found that I do have an AML camouflage mask set for this kit, but I have started brush-painting so I will carry on. I need a better acronym for double entendre though, every time I see DE I think "Dark Earth? What on earth does he mean?" :lol:

Hope you are recovered, by the way? :bye:

Mirror the above, i always feel its had a fair amount of criticism, but it looks 100% than the old one! Or maybe Stew is making it look easy?? Well which ever it look great, cracking work on the wavy edge.

Rob

Thanks Rob; I think the mould for the old Blenheim - particularly the clear parts - had deteriorated to the extent that the kit almost could not be built any more, so this one is obviously a vast improvement in more ways than one. Shame the bubble window option is not provided though, but you can't have everything I suppose :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3

Looking good.

I keep seeing this in my LHS, and seeing your build may have to pick one up.

Karl

Thanks very much Karl, I recommend the kit to you, if you are both careful and lucky it will be a lovely build for you, if you can only be one of the two, be careful and you will be okay :D

Yes, we found the one-to-one scale Blenheim you've been passing off as your own work in 1/72. You're nicked, my good sir! Now come along quietly.

It's a fair cop guv, but it's society's fault burglar.gif

Just how sick are you Ced?!?! :banghead:

Looking good Stew, steady!

(wants one but too afraid of matrimonial consequence)

Thanks very much MG :D - I know I am a bad influence but I would suggest that the box for this kit is just about small enough to be smuggled in past the Argus-like gaze of SWMBO :ninja:

Looking great Stew. I will be addressing the cowlings on my Mk 1 next weekend. Whats the score with these? It sounds like you had some issues with them - which feels me with trepidation.

Hi Simon, on both builds I have had some issues with the cowlings; the encompassing sides are moulded in three parts and there seems to be an inbuilt gap between them slightly larger than necessary - larger than the panel lines on the rest of the aircraft anyway. A little filler should sort it out, no need for trepidation as it is more a minor annoyance than a problem - it may be that you don't have a problem with them anyway :)

Rob

Rob, use what suits you best for what you want to do is my creed. When I was a kid and I probably had the most fun building models that I have ever had, I only ever used brushes, I don't think I'll ever get to the stage where I only use an airbrush either... :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2