A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

I go away for a couple of days and come back to find the alchemist has turned lead into gold.  There should be street parades for this.

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

Concept proved I think

ya think ?

Excellent job Steve.  I'm extremely pleased you slaughtered the gremlins and got through the process with success.  That cap must be brimming with feathers now

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Fritag said:

Reminder.

30 June 1988,RAF Leuchars,using my gift of the gab,got the entire ATC summer camp in three Hercs on a formation and navigation exercise.

Having organised it I was forced to go too.

I was in XV299,a C3 which had the roof blister. Route was Leuchars, Blairgowrie, Pitlochry then a  turn to starboard at Blair Atholl and a straighish line towards Montrose

By this time I was head in the blister enjoying the view.

A tap on the leg from the Nav got my attention.'Very sharp starboard turn coming up' he said.

At that the turn commenced and when I popped my head back into the dome,I was looking straight down into the river. I have never been airsick but on that occasions the gyros tripped and I quickly exited the cockpit to avoid any accidents. I was ok which is more than I can say for the cadets down the back!

I had no idea that a Herc could be so manoeuvrable  although the 3 hour tour of Scotland (lunch at Lossie) was a wee bit slower than you're used to Steve.

Sombre moment as we passed Glen Loch where XV193 crashed killing its 9 crew.

• Like 6

Beautifully done Steve! Concept proved indeed.

Enjoy Scotland. I have to admit to being more than a little jealous as my mother was from Aberdeen so we visited the Pitlochry area quite frequently as kids

Ian

On 30/09/2017 at 8:16 PM, Gene K said:

So what was your biggest take-away from the learning curve?

I was way behind the drag curve for most of the time on the learning curve Gene :)

But.  The most important point I learned (or rather re-learned) was that it's all about the preparation.  In this case attention to detail in cleaning the brass sheet before applying the resist.  Thorough going over with 320 grit sandpaper, thorough wipe down with acetone and then don't touch the brass again with bare fingers!

I'm sat in a coffee shop in Edinburgh at the mo', just waiting for Wonderland models to open - I always try and pop in when we visit Edinburgh :)

The only other thing I did on the Hawks before leaving for Scotland was to do a quick bit of work on some proper professional PE....

In this case the Eduard painted PE set for the new Revell Hawk.

The instrument panels are superb and even have different options for the a red arrows T1 (which for my purposes will do for the non-weaponised Valley T1) and a T1A (which will do for the weaponised T1A  from Chivenor I'm doing).

IMG_1440_zps3rsbn15m.jpg

I had to go over the grey panel colour carefully by hand using Mr Hobby paints to get an exact match with the painted cockpits - and the panels will need a bit of careful fettling with a diamond file to fit the contours of my Hawks.  But the panels  just looked to good not to use.

I'm all for home-brew efforts as a rule.  But it's beyond my powers to paint a panel to match these.  They're worth it for the clarity of the red/yellow warning panel alone!

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 12

17 minutes ago, Fritag said:

a red arrows T1 (which for my purposes will do for the non-weaponised Valley T1)

Didn't the Sparrows used to have a war role of airfield defence, so could be armed with 'winders? Is the 'non weapons' panel a refit to their jets?

Those panels do look very nice indeed, nearly as nice as your V.G.'s...!

Keith

• Like 1

Those IP panels really look good, Steve. As every pre-painted Eduard PE parts I've used so far, they don't match the cockpit color, so painting over them is the right choice - and improves your brush painting abilities :wink:  :) 

Ciao

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Didn't the Sparrows used to have a war role of airfield defence, so could be armed with 'winders? Is the 'non weapons' panel a refit to their jets

Yes I think so - and no I don't think so :D

I should have have been clearer- I meant the control panels for the bombs & guns and weapons-sight that the TWU T1s and T1As carried.

55 minutes ago, Fritag said:

The most important point I learned (or rather re-learned) was that it's all about the preparation.

Thanks ... I'll take special note should I ever get around to trying!

The IPs look superb ... as is your style.

Gene

42 minutes ago, Fritag said:

I should have have been clearer- I meant the control panels for the bombs & guns and weapons-sight that the TWU T1s and T1As carried.

I did wonder if that might have been the case, but my lack of Hawk weapons control knowledge let me down again! :D

Buy anything in Wonderland?!

Keith

Just caught up Steve - those VGs look really good to me and 'the real ones' will be a great feature.

Good work on the IPs too, great stuff.

Have a good time in Scotland :)

On 02/10/2017 at 9:55 AM, keefr22 said:

Didn't the Sparrows used to have a war role of airfield defence, so could be armed with 'winders? Is the 'non weapons' panel a refit to their jets?

I have always suspected that the Dead Sparrows' "war role" was akin to the Royal Yacht's alleged secondary purpose as a hospital ship.  I even had a Triang 1/1200 metal die cast model of Britannia in a fetching white-and-red-cross livery when I was a kid.  Strangely, however, when the time came and we actually needed a hospital ship, the country used (1982) SS Uganda and assorted Droggy boats (hydrographic survey ships to you non-Navy types!) and then (1991) RFA Argus - not least because in HMY's case the lack of flight deck was always going to be a deal-breaker.

Sometimes these secondary roles are just there to shut up bean-counters sniffing around defence budgets, I think.  Old cynic that I am.

[Stunning etchings, Steve]. 

• Haha 5

17 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Sometimes these secondary roles are just there to shut up bean-counters sniffing around defence budgets, I think.

I suppose we should be grateful that we never had to find that out....?!

Keith

• Like 1

On 2/10/2017 at 10:34, Fritag said:

I'm all for home-brew efforts as a rule.  But it's beyond my powers to paint a panel to match these.  They're worth it for the clarity of the red/yellow warning panel alone!

This is absolutely true, expecially on this scale!:yes:

Ok so.

Back from the Cairngorms -where the weather was fine, the scenery stunning and the walking excellent.  Here's just one of the wonderful glens we walked down:

IMG_6609_zpsswmqt61d.jpg

And so back to work (boo) and also back to the Hawks....

Mark (@Cheshiretaurus) divined my intentions in one of his posts above - namely to see if I could reproduce the pesky Hawk MCD in etch.

On my JP5 I made the MDC out of fine lead wire bent to shape over a home made jig - and that worked out ok;  but the Hawk MDC is much more extensive and I just can't see that method working. 

This was actually the reason I originally bookmarked Mark's thread on home etching and then obtained the bits and bobs of equipment and materials.  The need to do the wing Vortex Generators just gave me a convenient reason to start learning how to do it and get in some practice.

Whilst I'm still a novice at the process - I do think I've learnt enough to see if it's a practical method for making MDC.

So I've started to make the artwork.  The plan is to use the 'Graphic' illustration application on the Mac to draw over a scan of the MDC decal from the Revell 1/32 Hawk and then scale it to 1/72.  This way (hopefully) Revell have already done the clever bit of creating the required two-dimensional shape to look correct once fitted to a three-dimensional canopy.  Fingers crossed.

As it happens I'm also a complete novice at illustration software.  So this is a learning game as well.....

Anyways - this is a screen grab of me starting to build up the Artwork over the decal.  So far I've managed just one squiggle which I've copied and pasted several times, inverting it as required :) It's fun - but also kinda slow going when you're a muppet at this sort of thing......

Screen%20Shot%202017-10-09%20at%2013.17.

I'm sort of sceptical that I can get this to work.  But what the heck; that ain't a good reason not to try - is it?

• Like 13

It is a good looking start Steve, the number 53 item looks to be totally symmetrical around the front vee shape in the middle so it ought to be reasonably easy to work the one side then flip it to cover the other side with a transparent layer

CAVEAT IN BIG LETTERS

I'm not very apt with that kind of software myself but I have managed similar tasks, occasionally

Definitely looks the right way to go