A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

Just now, Cheshiretaurus said:

PE MDC next ?

You've divined the secret plan Mark :D - the VGs provided a convenient reason to try my hand at PE at get experience.  The MDC was always the longer-term plan.  Baby steps........

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, abat said:

Well done. They look tremendous. 

Thanks abat.  Bit more refinement needed but I'm getting there :)

27 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Fantastic stuff Steve!! :thumbsup:

Cheers Keith.

31 minutes ago, giemme said:

:yahoo:  :yahoo:  He made it! :clap:  :worthy: 

Great going, Steve! :thumbsup:

Now I can start preparing my PE wish list ... :whistle:  :D  :D

Thanks Giorgio :D  Absolutely get on with that wish list.  After all, you'll have resin moulding cracked by tomorrow and you'll be after a new challenge then :whistle:

26 minutes ago, perdu said:

Brilliant

Well done Steve, best news yet this week

They do look fine and let's face it we always make more than we need don't we

So you'll be preparing another dozen sheets of the little blighters

Fritagetch is on the road!

Thanks Bill :)

Cor - what about Britmodeller eh?

When I (not without trepidation) started posting my old Chippie build I hadn't done any real modelling for donkeys years.  Since then and only cos of the shared experience, inspiration and help and encouragement to be had from BM I've learned to vac mould (I did a bit of crash moulding as a kid), cast in resin, print home brew decals and now I've dipped my toe into him home brew PE.  Now I suppose I'm gonna have to learn how to solder.........

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 6

48 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Now I suppose I'm gonna have to learn how to solder.........

Absolutely, and it's a lot easier than it sounds. Although next frontier for you should be 3D printing ... :whistle:  :)

48 minutes ago, Kirk said:

I note we haven't talked you into buying a lathe yet either...

That too! Good hint, Kirk! :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Kirk said:

Miniature(/Mild) Detonating Cord.

Fragments the canopy on ejection.

Kirk

Ah that! Thanks Kirk :thumbsup:

Ciao

I hadn’t caught up with all things Fritag in a few days, so the past 4 pages have been like an episode of Breaking Bad - I have visions of a respectable (it sez ‘ere) Northern lawyer ensconced in a caravan wearing goggles and playing with chemicals.

The tension was killing me, so I’m glad I only came to read it when there was a happy ending.  Duly bookmarked, obvs; I don’t need home-brew PE at present, but...

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Superb work Steve. And all down to perseverance and hard work. Think you and CT are turning out to be the Peter Taylor and Brian Clough (I'm not deciding who's who) of the BM photo etch world. Of course I've always suspected this lawyer malarkey to be an elaborate ruse and cover for your real job - erstwhile purveyor of cavorite, perpetual motion, money tree seedlings, time machines, adamantium pitots, faster than light travel, Star Trek transporters and coaching Birmingham City to the Premiership title...okay okay I lied about the last one cos that really is impossible, but I'd be interested in some adamantium pitots...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Not much time last night.  But I did get some 1mm Vg artwork printed on to OHP; brass prepped and resist applied; resist UV exposed, developed and etched.....

IMG_1429_zpsiftgi50a.jpg

I'm getting a bit more familiar with the process now - a couple of hours from printing to etched - including a bit of faffing about watching a bit of bake-off on catch up.

These ones are on 0.003" (0.076mm) brass and I've done away with the 'floating' stubs on the back artwork.  I figured that 0.076mm is thin enough already without trying to be fancy and reduce the thickness further at the attachment point.  I decided this partly because of losing a VG or two when cleaning the test piece (which was also 0.076mm brass) under a running tap.

Because of the limitations in getting a good, dense UV proof black when printing using my inkjet printer on the OHP slides I followed a tip I found on the internet and printed each side of the artwork twice (at normal quality printing - which stops any tendency for the ink to creep) and then sandwiched two sheets of OHP together to form each side (careful lining up needed).  It seemed to work well and I got a very crisp result from the UV exposure.

I'm going walking in Scotland for a week from Sunday and I've not much modelling time left between now and then.  But I hope that tomorrow or Saturday I'll be able to try inserting some of the PE VGs in a wing to see if they look Ok.

Fingers crossed.

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 9

This topic is getting the tones of a science-fiction novel!!!

I really admire your attitude and patience facing this challange! If I were to try it...well...I would have given up after the first attempt!!!

At the end you got it right and this experience will open many doors for future applications so it was worth it!!!

When you're don with Giorgi, I'll be seond on the list!!!:penguin:

Enjoy Scotland!!!

Edited by massimo2

12 hours ago, Fritag said:

'm going walking in Scotland

You just missed a Martian visit to the BM (Argyll) Branch . Two thirds of the membership (Beardie,Jockney and me) met the mothership and forced beer and fine malt upon the pair. I think they survived the ordeal of finding two teetotal Scotsmen.

Where are you off to?

• Haha 1

I'll bet hell be off watching real Gannets and Skuas and wishing he was still hammering that poor little island offshore there...

(Now I will prove to be wrong and because it is Bony Scotland it will not matter)

:)

Edited by perdu
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, perdu said:

I'll bet hell be off watching real Gannets and Skuas and wishing he was still hammering that poor little island offshore there...

Good guess Bill - but not going so far North this time.

On 28/09/2017 at 9:24 PM, Scimitar said:

Where are you off to?

Near Pitlochry.  Not so far to drive :)

Anyway - so here's a close up of the two sizes of VGs I've managed to etch.  The 1.5mm ones on the left are too big for the Hawks.  The 1mm ones on the right are on 0.076mm brass and are the ones I hope to use on the 2 hawks.

IMG_1431_zps0ip4ecql.jpg

And below are some 1mm ones in 0.12mm brass from an earlier test piece (with a 1.5mm one for comparison).  These VGs are a just a touch cruder and not quite as regularly shaped as the final versions:

IMG_1432_zps9ucgsgsf.jpg

And as a test of concept here they are test fitted into 0.4mm holes drilled in a scrap wing.  Fixed with thin cyano.

Slightly rushed job - so not quite as neatly lined up or glued as they could be.  And remember they are also slightly thicker brass than the final ones:

IMG_1434_zpshuys7jz3.jpg

Another view:

IMG_1435_zpsgxy4xemc.jpg

And again:

IMG_1436_zps4wfmxm8o.jpg

And under a quick coat of primer (remember the final ones are a bit thinner):

IMG_1439_zpsq1eofno7.jpg

Reckon they'll do though.  Concept proved I think :)

Steve

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 25

I reckon they will do too

very fine etching Steve, bravissimo

@Scimitar whatever made you think I was making an error

typo?

How very dare you, I was making a comment  based upon every bruise, scrage and bonecracking impact with the scenery that I ever endurjoyed in the far blue Caledonian mountains

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, perdu said:

I was making a comment

OK. You are forgiven and as a reward you get to watch the clip so you can spot the impact points from your past ventures.

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

Near Pitlochry.

Nice part of the country.

Remind me some day to tell you about low level in a Herc in that area.

Back on topic..Got to admire that work but never in a million years (or even my remaining twentyodd) would I attempt that.

• Like 1