A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

BABY STEPS

says the giant killer, the legs are modelling legends already

:thumbsup:

I cant wait to see how you marmalise the kit legs on any of the Jaguar kits around in 1/72 scale

Each and every one is moulded from rubbish pattern makers 'bad days at the office' stuff

These ones?

Simply the best

Amazing, as usual Steve :)

I had the same problem with 'ragged' tubes until I found this video hiding on the Albion Hobby website:

'Groove and snap'? Who knew? Not me for one...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

The level of detail and precision you attain in such small parts (and such small scale! :frantic: ) never ceases to amaze me :worthy::worthy:

Oh, and thanks Ced for yet another very useful advice :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 1

On 15/08/2017 at 7:43 AM, CedB said:

'Groove and snap'? Who knew? Not me for one...

Not me for two.  I've been rolling and cutting all the way thro'.  Thanks Ced - I'll be trying that.

Hate painting wheels but its gotta be done.  No substitute for a punch and die for the task IMHO (although in browsing t'internet I did notice that Uschi van der Rosten does sheets of circular masks for such purposes). 

IMG_1239_zpst11ak8px.jpg

Best to have a few spares ready just in case.  Mrs F gets annoyed if the tap - tap of the little punch hammer goes on over an extend period of time.  Destroys her concentration when she's knitting/watch Netflix apparently......Best to get it all out of the way in one go - chatting amiably all the while to distract attention.....

IMG_1240_zpsjpwdgqkf.jpg

I can't remember the price of the Uschi van der Rosten masks - but I reckon my punch and die will pay for itself in only 3 generations time............:D (but it is lovely)

Nervy pre unmasking moments.....

IMG_1241_zps53iqy3v8.jpg

Relief......

IMG_1243_zpsovohfqhl.jpg

Neat enough for me :D

After unsuccessfully faffing about trying to mask the hub of the nose wheel (too contoured for the 2.4mm diameter mask to adhere properly to) I decided to do it the other way around and paint the tyres first (lightened Tamiya Nato Black btw) and then mask off the tyres and spray the hubs LAG.

IMG_1246_zpsecdeuhkv.jpg

Relief again:

IMG_1247_zpsnpafvvvo.jpg

All done.  All sprayed with Klear for protection and ready for washes/weathering.  Don't they look like toy wheels in this state?  Can't be doing with that....

IMG_1248_zps0smjhvpw.jpg

Steve

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Fritag said:

All done.  All sprayed with Klear for protection and ready for washes/weathering.  Don't they look like toy wheels in this state?  Can't be doing with that....

IMG_1248_zps0smjhvpw.jpg

Another creature from the Burgess Shale comes to life on the forum: Fritagigenia if I'm no mistaken?:D

Your small parts continue to attract my admiration Steve. :thumbsup2:

And another post in which that RP punch set looks an effective investment; having just lashed out on a piano for my youngest I find myself cruelly deprived of funds at a point of maximum weakness towards said item....

So enjoyable to see each new instalment of this fine thread pop up in the listings.

Tony

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Things of beauty

And who thought I'd be saying that about wheels, tyres even

Of course there's no doubt that young Mrs F's knitting is high scoring in the 'things of beauty' category too

:whistle:

Thoise punches are a delight, I really wish I could justify their purchase

Who knows what Chrimble might bring huh

shrill echo

You want WHAT?

Are you mad?

DontanswerthatIknowwhatmyfriendsweretellingmeandIshouldhavelistened

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Always nice to see some paint job going on, Steve :clap:  (and some hi-tech tool showing off, too :winkgrin: )

Coincidentally, I've just completed painting the wheels in my C202 build - in a totally different way, I don't use masks :banghead:

Ciao 

• Like 1

Lovely wheels Steve, as usual :)

Your post has revived my punch lust... I have the small set and I too love it... but €70 for the big one... I almost thought about treating myself at the Avon show but resisted.

To be honest I don't really use the set that often but it's essential when I do. To be honest I don't really need the bigger set as I don't do wheels. But they're sooooo nice...

I notice that the masks were, ahem, a little scattered after punching... have you seen the tray for the punch sets? I've been pondering it for a while. As well as catching small parts (fnarr!) if the punches fit in it under the die it's probably a must have for the tidy minded...

• Like 3

Its not what the wheels look like now that matters, its what we know they will look like when you have finished with them that really counts.

Martian

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CedB said:

I notice that the masks were, ahem, a little scattered after punching

Cheek...I'll have you know that I tidied them up before photography commenced.  Some people a never satisfied............

9 hours ago, CedB said:

To be honest I don't really use the set that often but it's essential when I do. To be honest I don't really need the bigger set as I don't do wheels.

You'll run out of ceiling space one day tho' - then you might need wheels? :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Thanks Steve! As if I need an excuse... I'm still resisting, although I have ordered a tray so we can all see if it's worth a tenner(ish).

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CedB said:

although I have ordered a tray so we can all see if it's worth a tenner(ish).

One of the specific Ced vital functions on BM (along with must-read entertaining posts) is to be product reviewer of modelling implements.  Mrs F has no idea just how many Ced recommendations I have acquired....... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Thanks Steve, I do my best for other toolaholics! :D 

As I was reacting to that something plopped through the letter box and the tray has arrived!

Good for catching punched bits but that's all - the punches can't be stored in the tray, sadly. Rats :( 

4 hours ago, Fritag said:

Mrs F has no idea just how many Ced recommendations I have acquired....... 

Better keep this for ourselves, don't you think? :ninja::D

Ciao

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Fritag said:

One of the specific Ced vital functions on BM (along with must-read entertaining posts) is to be product reviewer of modelling implements.  Mrs F has no idea just how many Ced recommendations I have acquired....... 

Sadly Mrs Martian has but she seems to have long since accepted that there is no point in fighting my addiction to the hobby.

Ced, new tool reviewer, detector of double entendres par excellence to the BM massive and he does a bit of modelling in between! Is there no end to the man's talents?

Martian

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 18/08/2017 at 11:03 AM, CedB said:

Good for catching punched bits but that's all - the punches can't be stored in the tray, sadly. Rats :( 

I find when punching thin plastic card - say 0.1 or 0.2 mm - and also stuff like the Tamiya masking sheets - that the punched discs tend to stick in the die and need extracting with a pin or tweezers or by thumping the top of the die.  I may pass on the tray.

We're up in the Shetlands next week walking and generally getting away from work, and I paid the price this week just past by working my little cotton socks off :(. Overnighting at Manchester Airport today to avoid the M62 in rush hour tomorrow.   Looking forward to it - but in some ways I'd prefer just to entrench at home and get some stress relieving modelling done......

All I've had time to do these last few days is to begin the detail painting on the wheels by:

(1) airbrushing an even more lightened mix of Tamiya NATO black on the contact patches of the tyres:

IMG_1250_zpsv5niueic.jpg

And

(2) first steps in oil washes.  The left wheel is pristine; the middle has had a wash of an oily/dirt mix and the right hand one has had that, plus ochre oil paint dotted in the centre and largely removed with a brush moistened in W&N sansador:

IMG_1256_zpsgoyfagri.jpg

Just a start; not happy yet - but I'd hate you to think I'd done nowt these last few days :D

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

No indeed, very nice Steve :)

Thanks very much for showing the stages of the weathering, good of you; I would have blobbed them all at the same time. 

Have a good time in the Shetlands. You did have the locks changed after the last party didn't you? :wicked: 

• Haha 2