A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

That looks like the way to go Steve, looks like I have to get vibrulation in on my next casting mould

The elderly toothbrushing device converted to a grinder doesn't have an external metal drive shaft

No worries huh, I will get that sorted in no time

Edited by perdu

23 hours ago, CedB said:

I also like and am extremely envious of the painting... 

Me too, especially as it's got your name on it Steve, the ultimate Jaguar painting!

Great moulding tutorial too, wonder if the boss will notice if I occasionally borrow her toothbrush.....?!

Keith

• Like 1

On 7/19/2017 at 9:43 PM, Tomoshenko said:

I know that you pop by on Tony's (TheBaron's) Boxcar thread from time to time, so you'll be aware that me, Bill, Mr Martian, Ced and loads of the regulars on here and a few escaped convicts and spaced out ravers community volunteers looked after his pad while he was on holiday. Don't feel afraid to ask, we won't be put out but next time you're on holiday

Watch that bunch Steve. Watch 'em like a...errr....Hawk!

Chez Fritag looks a happy refuge from the cares of the world. :nodding:

Tony

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all. Me here.......

I've been snatching minutes hear and there to keep this pair trundling forward - but only slowly on fiddly stuff - and not the sort of progress to interest a learned BM audience or likely to elicit much by way of comment - so I've kept it to myself as I've gone along :)

Here now is a small update - evidence of at least some work so's I can hope to hang on to my posting privileges on BM :whistle:

Finished a kit of home brew resin bits and bobs for the main undercarriage legs.

IMG_1206_zpsvpd0zcrl.jpg

There's curious hollow rectangular structure on the inside wheel hub of there main wheels - see this photo below by Graham James in the walkround section of BM.  Not being an engineering type chappie I've no idea what it is or what its for - but I speculate that it might be some sort of heat dump for the brake pads - anyways it's oddly noticeable and not reproduced on the kit wheels.

GJ-Hawk-006_zpsxwnedrbw.jpg

After some head scratching - the cunning plan was to replicate (ok - roughly approximate.....) it using some 0.1mm strips of plastic sheet shaped around a conveniently sized extension of a PE bending tool.  Thus:

IMG_1213_zpsojwdoubw.jpg

IMG_1215_zpsazbqxoq2.jpg

I shan't pretend that the first three came out that well........

And one cyano'd to a leg with the Airfix original for comparison.  Sorry for there poor photo it's hard to get a decent shot of the pale resin. The angle between the two hinged sections of the leg is too obtuse on the Airfix original; it should be more like 90 degrees when under load with the aircraft parked. Hopefully correcting this will help to better capture the 'sit' of the aircraft.

IMG_1217_zpsncssecm9.jpg

I've now got some nickel tubing to use later for the fescalised oleo leg.

A couple more comparisons.  Hopefully a paint and wash will bring out the detail......if not it will all have been a giant waste of time.......:)

IMG_1219_zpsgyvn59mo.jpg

IMG_1220_zpsprvq1gfq.jpg

I um'd and ah'd about the main wheels for a bit - but decided that the Airfix wheels weren't too bad, as long as the hub centre sections - which are incorrectly moulded as as a sort of round dome shape - were improved.

This was simple enough.  I flattened the dome with a home made sanding stick, made by wrapping a thin strip of 1000 grit sand paper around the squared off end of a coffee stirrer, and punched a couple of discs out of plastic card:

IMG_1209_zpsjfutjjel.jpg

And there you are.  Simples.

IMG_1208_zpsosun9pxh.jpg

Nearly there. Just the oleo bits to do now.

IMG_1221_zpslm4c7shu.jpg

Repeat 3 times....

IMG_1223_zpsypzoaybz.jpg

TTFN

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 16

This is the miniest of mini updates - so feel free to pass directly on....:whistle:

Had to work most of yesterday evening - the joys of being self employed..........

But i did at least find some distraction in squirting (technical term adequately describing the Fritag technique) some Tamiya primer on my legs (oh why am I getting ran into the whole 'legs' banter....) and I think the addition of the primer shows off the detail so far a bit better:

IMG_1225_zpsa2tnjlyk.jpg

On thing that has concerned me is the robustness of the cyano'd joint.  I had visions of popping the hawks on their U/C and them collapsing.....

The joints should get some support from the oleo sections when in situ - but as a belt and braces I decided to support the joint by drilling a 0.4mm hole and inserting a length of 0.4mm nickel tube, thus (look closely):

IMG_1228_zpsozk5qpda.jpg

Better safe than sorry :)

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 9

On ‎08‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 08:18, Fritag said:

Hmmm.....There was I expecting a really tasty bird.....

But he ended up with the Baron n his pantomime dame outfit! :puke:

2 hours ago, Fritag said:

This is the miniest of mini updates - so feel free to pass directly on....:whistle:

Had to work most of yesterday evening - the joys of being self employed..........

But i did at least find some distraction in squirting (technical term adequately describing the Fritag technique) some Tamiya primer on my legs (oh why am I getting ran into the whole 'legs' banter....) and I think the addition of the primer shows off the detail so far a bit better:

IMG_1225_zpsa2tnjlyk.jpg

On thing that has concerned me is the robustness of the cyano'd joint.  I had visions of popping the hawks on their U/C and them collapsing.....

The joints should get some support from the oleo sections when in situ - but as a belt and braces I decided to support the joint by drilling a 0.4mm hole and inserting a length of 0.4mm nickel tube, thus (look closely):

IMG_1228_zpsozk5qpda.jpg

Better safe than sorry :)

Very wise Steve. I am always looking to see how by builds can be strengthened.

39 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I have major man-love for Albion Alloys...

I will pass that on to Mathew John but I don't think he is going to be interested :fraidnot:

Martian

Sorry Crisp but sometimes you really do set yourself up. Never a good thing with a mad Martian on the prowl.

• Like 5

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 11:38 PM, Fritag said:

I've been snatching minutes hear and there to keep this pair trundling forward - but only slowly on fiddly stuff - and not the sort of progress to interest a learned BM audience or likely to elicit much by way of comment - so I've kept it to myself as I've gone along :)

C'mon Steve, dame sure us lot would turn up to watch you opening an envelope, sure it would be a precision work of art. Really like the technique for making those little rectangles - brilliantly simple. Spect tho when when you close your eyes all you see now are little white dots and rectangles...;)

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Very wise Steve

Not words I hear very often......

9 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

Really like the technique for making those little rectangles - brilliantly simple.

Its a bit sad Tom -but I was rather pleased with myself when it worked.  Pleased in an introverted, slightly embarrassed way that comes from solving a trivial problem of no real utility or interest to anyone else :)

Anyroad up - another evening largely wasted in doing 'real' work - the moral being don't be seduced into a career at the Bar and the purported freedoms of self employment are merely illusional........But before I lost my eye sight completely from trying to unknot pink ribbon from instructions in candle lit chambers at midnight (ok I may have drifted into gobbledygook there) I did at least finish the tricky task of reinforcing all 4 of the main U/C legs with nickel tube:

IMG_1229_zpshkuvkg2g.jpg 

It was a delicate but strangely satisfying challenge to drill the holes and insert the reinforcing tubes - and I was sufficiently emboldened by my early success managed without cack-handed bodgement -  to upgrade from 0.4mm holes/tubes to 0.5mm.  Wow.  Eh?

My what an exciting life I lead.............:penguin:

• Like 6
  • Haha 4